Parmesan

Old Feb 28th 2018, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Parmesan

I've just got a letter from Compassion in World Farming, with whom I generally sympathise, about the treatment of cattle in the production of parmesan cheese. There's something to much the same effect on the net

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/philip-lymbe...eese-hard-life

Anyway, what I'm posting this for here is to ask if anybody knows of any way of getting parmesan that hasn't involved factory farming. Are there 'bio' parmesan producers, for example, like 'bio' wine, etc.

The Italian Slow Food people might know. I'll ask them too.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parmesan

The Coop sell biological Parmesan so I suppose there is a 50% chance the cow is living outside if the milk wasn't imported.

It is the same story with pork and Norcia. You can drive round Norcia and never see a pig unless it is a wild pigs head attached to a wall.
There was an interesting item about Nutella yesterday on the BBC Radio where it mentioned the only Italian food product used in the manufacturing is lecithin. The beautiful hazel nuts from the forests in Lazio go elsewhere.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, if not worrying link Sancho, thanks. Or is it thanks as the "worrying" bit is our love of parmesan! I often wondered about the fact we never see the cows out around here and put it down to the fact there are not too many, it would be far too hot for them to be out most of the time and that the land is very steep. I'm sure the heat must be a problem, but other than that, then why not let them out in the spring at least. Our experience of life for animals here in Italy has not been too good and I think it would take a lot to change anything, but I guess that's no reason for not trying. Do let us know if you find any organic option and we will look out for one locally.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Our experience of life for animals here in Italy has not been too good and I think it would take a lot to change anything,
The way our neighbour looks after 5 pigs would have made Cato the Elder's eyes water in 200BC.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

There is a strange fad particularly in Alto-Adige for "Latte fieno" which seems to suggest that cows are only fed on hay and thus not grazing outside. Odd.

Trentingrana's not bad, I imagine the cows up here get some time outside given the amount of mountain pastures although it's true that you don't see them as much as you might expect.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Unless farmers can move cows up into the moutain pastures in summer they dont have an option but to feed their animals

Summer heat kills the grass and animals are kept indoors in winter.

I bet a lot of milk is imported from northern Europe.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by philat98
The way our neighbour looks after 5 pigs would have made Cato the Elder's eyes water in 200BC.
I never thought it would be as bad as this -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8273456.html
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

The wanderer. is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of this the public is to ignorant to understand but mention anything about hunting and the masses attack, most think chickens and beef grow on a grocery store shelf.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The wanderer.
Most of this the public is to ignorant to understand but mention anything about hunting and the masses attack, most think chickens and beef grow on a grocery store shelf.
And spaghetti grows on trees!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone be surprised...!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't realise until I lived in Umbria that pigs are pretty similar to dogs. They come running when you call them and are a bit selective in what they like to eat. On a hot summers day they love to be sprayed with water.
I don't see a problem with eating meat as long as the farm animals are treated with proper respect. I was listening to Rees Mogg on the radio saying that the UK will be enjoying cheaper food post Brexit. I wonder what that means for animal welfare?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
I didn't realise until I lived in Umbria that pigs are pretty similar to dogs. They come running when you call them and are a bit selective in what they like to eat. On a hot summers day they love to be sprayed with water.
I don't see a problem with eating meat as long as the farm animals are treated with proper respect. I was listening to Rees Mogg on the radio saying that the UK will be enjoying cheaper food post Brexit. I wonder what that means for animal welfare?
Probably thinking of digging for victory.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

You see very few outdoor pigs because pigs are prone to sunstroke. The conditions many are kept in are barbaric - there was a famous film a couple of years back of pigs tethered and covered in rats for a famous processed food company and their sales died overnight. It seems the italians believe and want to believe the ads where bread is made ina n ancient watermill, pigs and cows live on Alps with bells on them, and tuna jump happily into the trawler while dolphins play in the sun.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:26 am
Just Joined

The wanderer. is an unknown quantity at this point

VERY GRAPHIC

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?s...&layout=mobile

Last edited by The wanderer.; Mar 27th 2018 at 6:30 am.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

There is an entertaining book on the food business by Christophe Brusset. Siete pazzi a mangiarlo.
One chapter talks about the Chinese tomato business that was set with the help of Italian companies and paid for with sometimes exploding barrels of Passata. Written in easy Italian too!

Last edited by philat98; Mar 27th 2018 at 7:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.