Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

OT questions: primary schools in UK

OT questions: primary schools in UK

Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT questions: primary schools in UK

dear all,

I have a question for you from an Italian friend who wants to move to the UK (I think England actually), about schools. She has a daughter in primary school, and she needs information about the school system.

I know that this is an off-topic discussion, so maybe it is better if you answer privately. Lorna what do you say?

Questions are:
- are public primary schools (generally) good? especially in university towns

- usually, what is the daily schedule? Here in Italy you can find 8.30-13.00 + 1 or two afternoons 8.30-16,30, or 8.30-16.30 everyday.

- are immunisations compulsory? or is it possible to be admitted even if the child does not have all the immunisations required by the health authorities? (in Italy, it is possible).

- is it necessary to have a residence permit for attending primary school, or is it enough to be an UK citizen?

thank you a lot, and sorry for the OT subject. If you know any website where she can find some information about the British school System, please send me the link!

primula
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT questions: primary schools in UK

Originally Posted by primularossa
dear all,

I have a question for you from an Italian friend who wants to move to the UK (I think England actually), about schools. She has a daughter in primary school, and she needs information about the school system.

I know that this is an off-topic discussion, so maybe it is better if you answer privately. Lorna what do you say?

Questions are:
- are public primary schools (generally) good? especially in university towns

- usually, what is the daily schedule? Here in Italy you can find 8.30-13.00 + 1 or two afternoons 8.30-16,30, or 8.30-16.30 everyday.

- are immunisations compulsory? or is it possible to be admitted even if the child does not have all the immunisations required by the health authorities? (in Italy, it is possible).

- is it necessary to have a residence permit for attending primary school, or is it enough to be an UK citizen?

thank you a lot, and sorry for the OT subject. If you know any website where she can find some information about the British school System, please send me the link!

primula
Why not ask this queston on the 'moving back to the UK section'?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:10 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

dear all,

Questions are:
- are public primary schools (generally) good? especially in university towns It can depend you need to be careful in inner cities

Primary School

All schools have control over the structure of their own school day although most will finish at 3.30pm. The statutory Literacy Hour and Numeracy Hour is a feature of all school timetables.

The example below illustrates what you will typically find in a primary school. Teaching Personnel Consultants will be able to provide further details of the exact timetable of each individual school.

09.00am Registration

09.10am School Assembly

09.30am Literacy Hour

10.30am Break-time

10.45am Numeracy Hour

11.45am Subject class

12.15pm Lunch

13.30pm Afternoon Registration

13.35pm Classes

14.45pm Break-time

15.00pm Classes

15.30pm End of school day

- are immunisations compulsory? or is it possible to be admitted even if the child does not have all the immunisations required by the health authorities? (in Italy, it is possible). not sure

- is it necessary to have a residence permit for attending primary school, or is it enough to be an UK citizen? not sure

primula
have had a go at some of the answers for you primula
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Why not ask this queston on the 'moving back to the UK section'?
because there is written:
this section is NOT for the discussion of work related visas, nor for foreign nationals seeking to migrate to the UK

and you know, we Italians are so keen on respecting rules... :-)
Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Aren't public schools in UK private schools? from memory my friend used to pay an arm and a leg for her daughter's school fees
Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clint
Aren't public schools in UK private schools? from memory my friend used to pay an arm and a leg for her daughter's school fees
Yes, in the UK Public schools are fee paying schools. The majority of children go to local council run schools.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:24 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind if the topic stays here for a bit.

There is no residence or residence permit etc for schools in the UK. What we have are catchment areas and this is something that never really existed years ago either.

This means that if you live in district A (for example) it will be hard if not impossible to get your child into a school in district E.
Usually you grow up in one town or village and go to the primary school there, then you move to the closest high school. Things started changing with Ofsted reports giving schools better grades than others and things like that and parents or students wanting different or better options..... to put it very loosely.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Lorna.

Please note that I made a mistake: I wanted to write: "UE citizen" and not "UK citizen".

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;11290875]I don't mind if the topic stays here for a bit.

There is no residence or residence permit etc for schools in the UK.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 6:26 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

because there is written:
this section is NOT for the discussion of work related visas, nor for foreign nationals seeking to migrate to the UK

and you know, we Italians are so keen on respecting rules... :-)
You read the rules? Anyway, that is for Citizenship/passport etc section. You can post in the general section. That said, I see that people have answered you here.