Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Old UK driving license

Old UK driving license

Old Jun 26th 2018, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

douglas300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old UK driving license

Hi I have a UK driving license from 1977, I want to know if it is still ok?
There is no photograph. Is it still valid, or did I have to trade it in sometime for a
new plastic one complete with mugshot? Help appreciated
Old Jun 26th 2018, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old UK driving license

It's a few years back now (6-7), but I had to update my address following my UK move and had a paper license, it was changed no bother then. You would of course need a current UK address.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Valid where? It may be valid in the Uk, but it isnt in Europe. You must have a photo card EU style licence.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 6:00 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Valid where? It may be valid in the Uk, but it isnt in Europe. You must have a photo card EU style licence.
Then why do all the european car rental firms accept my uk paper license every year? Never had a problem - in lots of EU countries. Actually the german police were ok with it too when i passed some checkpoint about 2 years ago. Of course it is an EU document, so if it was invalid the DVLA would be tellung people, they would llove that im sure.

So long as the details are still valid [ie your address] its still valid until its expiry date. You can still check the valudity online with the dvla too.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 7:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

Then why do all the european car rental firms accept my uk paper license every year? Never had a problem - in lots of EU countries. Actually the german police were ok with it too when i passed some checkpoint about 2 years ago. Of course it is an EU document, so if it was invalid the DVLA would be tellung people, they would llove that im sure.

So long as the details are still valid [ie your address] its still valid until its expiry date. You can still check the valudity online with the dvla too.
OP lives in Italy, so license will NOT be valid as he doesn't live in the UK, really needs to get a photocard as long as he can get it sent to a UK address. Photocard licenses are the only ones valid in the EU, and yes you might still have to show the paper counterpart as that has any points, convictions etc on it, which isn't on the photocard.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 7:37 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
OP lives in Italy, so license will NOT be valid as he doesn't live in the UK, really needs to get a photocard as long as he can get it sent to a UK address. Photocard licenses are the only ones valid in the EU, and yes you might still have to show the paper counterpart as that has any points, convictions etc on it, which isn't on the photocard.
No, sure if you arent a uk resident you arent entitled to a uk license anyway, but

1, No, The paper counterpart no longer exists, if you need to show anyone details, its visible to you on the dvla website and you can grant a 3rd party - eg a car rental firm - access to it for a limited period.

2, No, i am talking about the original paper license which is acceptable throughout the EU for a uk resident as a driving license, not necessarily as an id document.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 8:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

No, sure if you arent a uk resident you arent entitled to a uk license anyway, but

1, No, The paper counterpart no longer exists, if you need to show anyone details, its visible to you on the dvla website and you can grant a 3rd party - eg a car rental firm - access to it for a limited period.

2, No, i am talking about the original paper license which is acceptable throughout the EU for a uk resident as a driving license, not necessarily as an id document.
The key phrase there is 'UK resident' which the OP is not, it's so much simpler if you are moving within the EU to get a photocard before you move, it's valid for 10 years, and in many places can be used as an ID document, I suspect that there are many police all over the EU who are not aware of the paper license. I was told before I moved to Spain the get a photocard license as it's far easier while you are still living there.