nuts!

Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nuts!

HEllo

I'm doing a Christmas cake, but rather icing it, which I don't like I'm doing as Delia recommends a glazed fruit topping.
Two kinds of nuts I can neither find an online italian translation for or in my local IperCOOP.
Anyone know what they are called here?

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:14 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nuts!

The word you're looking for is palle
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:36 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowdog
HEllo

I'm doing a Christmas cake, but rather icing it, which I don't like I'm doing as Delia recommends a glazed fruit topping.
Two kinds of nuts I can neither find an online italian translation for or in my local IperCOOP.
Anyone know what they are called here?

Thanks
It might help if you at least tell us what the nuts are called in English
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Not sure what nuts you mean, but I have just bought some roasted shelled hazel nuts and candied peel/cherries at the shops ready for a Christmas cake, the hazel nuts are: nocciole sgusciate tostate and the candied orange peel is "Arancia candita" , candied cherries are: ciliegie candite. Not sure what a glazed fruit topping is off hand.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:00 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Tee Hee
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:41 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

It's normally almonds which are mandorle.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
It's normally almonds which are mandorle.
oops! brazil and pecan!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 11:06 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! I assumed you'd be doing her Classic Christmas cake - sorry...
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jonnie-falafel will become famous soon enoughJonnie-falafel will become famous soon enough

Don't slavishly follow Delia - use whatever nuts you prefer. It won't make a bit of difference! Unless you use peanuts or cashews of course and then your recipients might think its eccentric. Of course, if they're English, they won't say anything until you're out of the room.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:34 pm
The Original Red Head!

Isn't Dundee cake the one that has glazed almonds on the top?? Knowing you are going to have a struggle to find pecans and brazils I'd stick with something you know you can get here really easily!!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jonnie-falafel
Don't slavishly follow Delia - use whatever nuts you prefer. It won't make a bit of difference! Unless you use peanuts or cashews of course and then your recipients might think its eccentric. Of course, if they're English, they won't say anything until you're out of the room.
And if they're Italian they'll tell you to your face
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Originally Posted by duffer
I know what that means! My colleagues taught me it straight away!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Think this is what you are looking for: Usually always available in "indian - asian" shops.

la mandorla brasiliana
il pecan