Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Non payed bills

Non payed bills

Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all
Default Non payed bills

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer. I'm feeling very worried and let down at the moment. I left Italy in 2011 after living there for 21 years. You probably all know how difficult it can be getting ones affairs in order before leaving. It was a nightmare. Enel (the electric company) and Fastweb (internet and telephone) did nothing but jerk me around. I followed all their instructions on how to go about closing my contracts with them. I let them know well in advance that I was leaving the country and I needed them to send the closure bill as soon as possible. The internet was still connected when I left even though I'd sent the registered letter a month before leaving. I kept calling them and asking them why they hadn't disconnected me. They told me that they had not received the letter when I know they did because I had the receipt. Enel did not send the bill express delivery like they said they would. I had to leave the country. I left around 300 euros with a so called friend who was supposed to go and pick up the bills at my flat when they eventually arrived. He picked them up but apparently didn't pay them! To say that I am pissed off would be an understatement!
Two days ago I checked an e.mail account that I barely use anymore and saw that I had received an e.mail from an Italian debt collectors firm asking me to contact them regarding a 'recupero energetico '
Should I be worried, even though I'm on the other side of the world?
Old Feb 27th 2015, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Re: Non payed bills

Without seeing the whole thing, I'd say it sounds like spam !
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly seems likes spam and if not I don't think you have much cause for concern

I wouldn't pay anything to anyone. You can check if your accounts have an outstanding balance on the internet by registering in the Enel and telephone company "area clienti" using the numbers on your bills or you can directly contact the companies by email to ask.
I have just moved and the only problems I have had are with the water company and Infostrada who charged me €120 for terminating my contract even though I have been with them for 6 years
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:48 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Taking into consideration that the Italian legal system can't extradite a convicted murderess from the USA I wouldn't be overly worried.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Taking into consideration that the Italian legal system can't extradite a convicted murderess from the USA I wouldn't be overly worried.
Absolutely, I do not think they can do anything to you even if you have not paid. I would delete the email account.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Thanks everyone! You've made me feel a lot better. I thought it might have been a scam but after doing some research on the net, I found that the e.mail came from a legit debt collector. I did think about calling, but I doubt he'll be interested in the fact that I got ripped off by an old friend who was supposed to pay my bills for me. The amount I owe could be 5 times more by now, and I'm pretty skint at the moment! I hate having this looming over my head. I've always tried to be a decent, honest person. I'm just worried that it might come back to bite me if I ever wanted to go back to Italy-even just to visit. Does anyone know if I'll always have this debt or will I be taken off the list after a certain amount of time? Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

maybe your 'friend' was only part of the problem: if the utilities companies can't even get their acts together enough to be able to act on evidenced receipt of termination notification, they are equally undeserving . I'd echo the previous: don't worry about it, particularly if you're on another continent.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

I guess so....thank you! :-)