Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Next Step in Moving to Italy...?

Next Step in Moving to Italy...?

Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Need_help is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Next Step in Moving to Italy...?

Hi,
After much of the year deciding about moving over to Italy, My Boyfriend has sold the house and would like to be living there this time next year!! We are renting from friends for the next few months and are planning a trip over at some point in early Febuary for a week or two, to see what we could get for our money. (we are thinking Tuscany or Pescara area)

We are clueless as what the next step would be. do we go out and look at houses and if so do we need to find reputable esate agents before we go? we are looking at what we could possibly buy for our money or places to rent for a little while.

We are also going out there to see what areas are best to work in and how likely we are at finding a job out there as we will both need to work. again Im not sure about how to go about doing this. I figure the best option is for me to teach english but is it worth me doing a TEFL course as soon as possible
(I could do bar work if I improved on my Italian and my boyfriend is a landscape gardener)

Do we need to start thinking about Visa and all the legal stuff yet?
And if you have any tips on making our visit more informative it would help massively. Is there anything we should look out for or research a bit more before we go or whilst there?

If anyone could advise us of what the next steps should be that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

kelly x
Ps. if any one could recommend any reasonable priced B&Bs own by english people it would be appreciated. (I figure staying in a British B&B we could find out about their experience in moving over, If not maybe a hostel of some kind so we have more interaction with locals)
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next Step in Moving to Italy...?

Originally Posted by Need_help
Hi,
After much of the year deciding about moving over to Italy, My Boyfriend has sold the house and would like to be living there this time next year!! We are renting from friends for the next few months and are planning a trip over at some point in early Febuary for a week or two, to see what we could get for our money. (we are thinking Tuscany or Pescara area)

We are clueless as what the next step would be. do we go out and look at houses and if so do we need to find reputable esate agents before we go? we are looking at what we could possibly buy for our money or places to rent for a little while.

We are also going out there to see what areas are best to work in and how likely we are at finding a job out there as we will both need to work. again Im not sure about how to go about doing this. I figure the best option is for me to teach english but is it worth me doing a TEFL course as soon as possible
(I could do bar work if I improved on my Italian and my boyfriend is a landscape gardener)

And if you have any tips on making our visit more informative it would help massively. Is there anything we should look out for or research a bit more before we go or whilst there?

If anyone could advise us of what the next steps should be that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

kelly x
Ps. if any one could recommend any reasonable priced B&Bs own by english people it would be appreciated. (I figure staying in a British B&B we could find out about their experience in moving over, If not maybe a hostel of some kind so we have more interaction with locals)
hi weare 7 years down the line of the moving to italy coarse and have had good and bad but the good times outway the bad go for it we did and have no regrets
Old Dec 31st 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

unclejoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I'd go for renting initially. Then a year or so down the line you can think about buying and you'll have a much better idea of what you can get for your money and, more importantly, where you want to live.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Loreto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Need_help
Hi,

Thanks in advance

kelly x
We rented for about 8 months first, which gave us time to ensure the move was right for us and to give us time to find the right area, right house etc etc.
I would come over for a week or two, hire a car and check out the areas. You will get more for your money in Abruzzo than you will in Tuscany, but depends what you are after.
Be warned though, making money here is hard, but not impossible.

Good luck