Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Newie looking for people living near Vicenza/Valdagno area

Newie looking for people living near Vicenza/Valdagno area

Old Mar 20th 2019, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

mica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Newie looking for people living near Vicenza/Valdagno area

Originally Posted by Margaret M
We used to find the equivalent of "Who wants to be a Millionaire" very good, particularly the more difficult questions, as you had more time to try to translate and understand it. No idea if it is still aired though.
ah that would be good as I love quiz shows
Old Apr 7th 2019, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Marie.d is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! I'm English and kind of local to that area! Have you tried any language courses? I know in the bigger towns nearby like Thiene and Schio they offer language courses which I think are practically free - but I think you have to be a resident.
Have things improved for you yet?
Let me know if you want any advice on the area - my partner and his family are from around there! Maybe we can meet up when I'm around there
Old Apr 9th 2019, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

mica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Marie.d
Hello! I'm English and kind of local to that area! Have you tried any language courses? I know in the bigger towns nearby like Thiene and Schio they offer language courses which I think are practically free - but I think you have to be a resident.
Have things improved for you yet?
Let me know if you want any advice on the area - my partner and his family are from around there! Maybe we can meet up when I'm around there
Ah thanks Marie! That would be lovely to meet up. I was doing a free course here but didn't find it very good as they don't explain in English so I spent most of the lesson referencing my phrase book and guessing stuff. I realised i wasn't learning things properly. Now I do a combination of online courses and apps and find it easier now to grasp. It's hard living here though as they speak dialect and I don't know how to learn that yet. I think I'd feel better if I had a regular social life here but a lot fo expats I find don't want to meet up. Where abouts do you live?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Marie.d is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I think with dialect you just kind of pick it up as you go along (says me and my Italian is not good haha)
Soon the weather will be better and you will be able to do more things. I can't wait to start going up the mountains again!
I'll message you on here in a minute
Old Apr 12th 2019, 9:38 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again. I have more free time now that I've finished a couple of school contracts. We could meet next week if you like before the Easter holidays.

Old Apr 18th 2019, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi again. I have more free time now that I've finished a couple of school contracts. We could meet next week if you like before the Easter holidays.
Hi Lorna, Sorry I forgot to check on here my messages. I'd love to meet up if you still have time? Is tomorrow too short notice? Or I'm free anytime
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mica painter
Hi Lorna, Sorry I forgot to check on here my messages. I'd love to meet up if you still have time? Is tomorrow too short notice? Or I'm free anytime
Hi. If I had checked this page last night, then it wouldn't have been too short notice at all, but it's already 10am and I've just told my daughter that she can have my car for a few hours today seeing as she's off school. I'm free all next week though. I'll PM you my phone number and then we can make some proper plans. See you soon.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Melissa19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I moved to Valdagno about 7 months ago from London - yup bit of a difference! My partner is Italian and we'd like to meet some new people. I'm starting to feel quite lonely and isolated and it's having an impact on wanting to make the most of living here (like learning the language) and I keep dreaming of moving back even though I need to just give it more time. Plus my partner hasn't had the best experience moving back to his hometown either (sometimes wonder if we did the right thing?)
I think it would really help me if I had some connections here. I don't drive so can only reach Vicenza by bus. I have been searching for people to meet in facebook groups but haven't had much joy (either too far from me or they're a bit narrow minded). I really miss having close connections and until I can speak Italian it's going to be hard to make local friends. Think I'm just having a down day. My cat passed away a couple of weeks ago and I think it's affected me quite a bit. I'm normally a happy-go-lucky person and really enjoy meeting new people so don't get the wrong impression!
Thank you, Michelle.
Hi Michelle how are you? My name is Melissa and I just moved to Vicenza last week. It is all a bit new and daunting for me at the moment. The city seems lovely and my new job so far seems good. It is at a really small school so the chance of meeting people is quite small. The teachers are all very friendly but I would love to meet more people and gain a bigger social group. I know you wrote your message a few months ago now so am very interested to know how your getting on now. Did you find any groups or classes to join? Any suggestions would be most welcome. Also if your still looking for anyone to meet up with let me know.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Melissa19
Hi Michelle how are you? My name is Melissa and I just moved to Vicenza last week. It is all a bit new and daunting for me at the moment. The city seems lovely and my new job so far seems good. It is at a really small school so the chance of meeting people is quite small. The teachers are all very friendly but I would love to meet more people and gain a bigger social group. I know you wrote your message a few months ago now so am very interested to know how your getting on now. Did you find any groups or classes to join? Any suggestions would be most welcome. Also if your still looking for anyone to meet up with let me know.
Hi Melissa!
Welcome Thanks for messaging. I can imagine how you must be feeling as I was the same, I feel much calmer now though. At least you're in a city and Vicenza is nice. There should be more opportunities to meet English speakers. I know there is an English Speaking Happy Hour I can find for you? It's in a bar but it's too late for me. But go slowly, it's a big change. Where have you moved from?

I'd be happy to come meet you one day, I can just take a bus.
I have found a ten pin bowling league which makes me happy as it was a hobby I had in london. But everyone speaks dialect there and I have no clue what they are saying so it hasn't helped with meeting people, yet. But it gets us out and having fun which is the main thing, focus on being happy first. Also have a look on MeetUp.com as there might be something in Vicenza you could join. Feel free to message me if you prefer.
Michelle
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Hi Melissa!
Welcome Thanks for messaging. I can imagine how you must be feeling as I was the same, I feel much calmer now though. At least you're in a city and Vicenza is nice. There should be more opportunities to meet English speakers. I know there is an English Speaking Happy Hour I can find for you? It's in a bar but it's too late for me. But go slowly, it's a big change. Where have you moved from?

I'd be happy to come meet you one day, I can just take a bus.
I have found a ten pin bowling league which makes me happy as it was a hobby I had in london. But everyone speaks dialect there and I have no clue what they are saying so it hasn't helped with meeting people, yet. But it gets us out and having fun which is the main thing, focus on being happy first. Also have a look on MeetUp.com as there might be something in Vicenza you could join. Feel free to message me if you prefer.
Michelle
I am glad you found a club to join, I am looking for some gym class that I could go to where language wont be much of an issue. I really want to join a beginners Italian course. Do you know of any? I have signed up to meet up, there doesn't seem much going on in this area but let's see. Yes it would be nice to meet up at some point when we are both free.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Hi. I am also looking for a langauge course, it is hard to get any info about this. I have tried emailing a few places but get no reply then when I visit the place it is closed or noone is around, frustratinfg. I want an evening class as I work in the day and would be good to join a class to meet people. I find in general it is really hard to find out about any social events or groups that you could join.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 3:17 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I haven't been on this forum in ages and now suddenly there are a shitload of peeps in Vicenza! I've been through the same issues as yourselves, it does get better once you improve the language but like others, I chose to ignore some good advice, i.e. read Italian books and watch Italian TV. After 15 years here, I still watch UK TV!

But I think the best way to meet new people and make friends is to get pregnant. Many of our friends are either fellow parents from school or from swimming courses or other sporting activities where I have taken or still take my child.

I've been to Valdagno a few times, soooo many bars. I'm just down the road, still in the suburbs but about half way between Valdagno and Vicenza. We go every few weeks to the Rivetti bar which is Valdagno/Cornedo industrial area, where they do fantastic burgers and beer.

BTW I'm from Wandsworth, S London.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by duffer
But I think the best way to meet new people and make friends is to get pregnant.
Way too expensive; get a nice dog and start walking around.

I agree that joining local groups is the best way to meet people and start to learn the language and integrate. Because we like playing cards we joined a local Burraco club which meets up one evening per week for about 3 hours. Though whatever the group, they'll be speaking their local dialect or version of Italian.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 10:36 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plan B
Way too expensive; get a nice dog and start walking around.

I agree that joining local groups is the best way to meet people and start to learn the language and integrate. Because we like playing cards we joined a local Burraco club which meets up one evening per week for about 3 hours. Though whatever the group, they'll be speaking their local dialect or version of Italian.
Yes probably you are right but the principle is correct, find a common ground and get involved within the local community, even if just going to a Sagra or the local market.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Yes probably you are right but the principle is correct, find a common ground and get involved within the local community, even if just going to a Sagra or the local market.
Even better in my opinion, get involved in something voluntary. All these sagre depend heavily on voluntary workers, much of the work is relatively 'unskilled' - though there are plenty of skilled activities as well - and the the benefits in terms of contacts and language are enormous. A good starting point in most places would be the Proloco.

But not only the feste. Most smaller places have a Croce Verde/Gialla/Azurra/Bianca/Rossa or similar, which again depend heavily on volunteers. Or Protezione Civile ditto. Or a branch of Auser. The list goes on ...