Reload this Page >

A newbie in Modena

A newbie in Modena

Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Ruth2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A newbie in Modena

Hi there,

I found a thread a while ago about people wishing to make friends in Modena.

I moved here about two weeks ago and I am working as a teacher.
I would love to chat or even meet up with any expats and exchange ideas and helpful hints and share the odd cuppa.

Hope to hear from some of you

Ruth
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A newbie in Modena

Originally Posted by Ruth2003
Hi there,

I found a thread a while ago about people wishing to make friends in Modena.

I moved here about two weeks ago and I am working as a teacher.
I would love to chat or even meet up with any expats and exchange ideas and helpful hints and share the odd cuppa.

Hope to hear from some of you

Ruth
I'm not in Modena but I just wanted to say welcome to Italy, welcome to this forum and I hope you're enjoying it all so far.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Hi Ruth and welcome to Italy!
How are you settling in? I've been living in a suburb of Modena for 2 years now, I do a spot of English teaching every now and again but mostly translations. There are loads of expats around the area- aside from TEFL teachers there are plenty of foreigners working for Tetrapak and Ferrari. What made you choose this part of Italy? Let me know if I can help with anything!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Ruth, welcome to the forum You arrived just in time for winter
We live 20/25mins from Modena. We arrived here some months ago. The transition was a little easier for me because my other half is Italian. We are both artists working from home so if you fancy a brew and chat just pop down.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Hi K and John,

I was here on holiday in August visiting some Italian friends. I wasn't happy with my job and lifestyle in the UK and decided to drop me CV in some of the Language schools. I got a phone call from one of the schools weeks later offering me a job and, hey presto, here I am!

It's been a bit scary but not too much of a cultural shock. I also have a 6 year old boy. He's just started his Italian schooling, and is absolutely loving it, which helps. I, for one, am still feeling a bit lost but knowing there are more Brits out there certainly helps!

Hope we can keep in touch !
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

That sounds like quite an adventure! I'm glad your son is doing well in school- do either of you speak the language?
Feel free to get in touch if you'd like to meet up for a coffee- I work from home and my husband works 6 days a week so I'm always up for getting out and meeting people!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ruth2003
Hi K and John,

I was here on holiday in August visiting some Italian friends. I wasn't happy with my job and lifestyle in the UK and decided to drop me CV in some of the Language schools. I got a phone call from one of the schools weeks later offering me a job and, hey presto, here I am!

It's been a bit scary but not too much of a cultural shock. I also have a 6 year old boy. He's just started his Italian schooling, and is absolutely loving it, which helps. I, for one, am still feeling a bit lost but knowing there are more Brits out there certainly helps!

Hope we can keep in touch !
Wow and i thought i was impulsive Hope you settle into the Italian lifestyle.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:37 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnD63
Wow and i thought i was impulsive Hope you settle into the Italian lifestyle.
My thought exactly. And brave!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks K, look forward to it. And thanks all for the comments. It wasn't so much about being brave but rather a case of not wanting to miss out on such a big opportunity.

I understand Italian 99 per cent and speak it moderately-still a bit shy in that sense. My son is doing much better than me as he is very keen to learn.

So it's been just over two weeks and I suddenly get this very strange feeling that Brits are not really appreciated around here. Is this true or am I being paranoid?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Where did you get the impression that Brits are not appreciated? Work? I haven't particularly come across that, but then I tend to hang out with my Italian husband, his friends and our international friends so I guess none of them would have a problem with my nationality! In fact, people often complain to me about there being too many foreigners here, but it's clear they don't mean Brits. It's not an attitude I particularly like hearing about, but at least it isn't directed at me personally.
Go for it with the language! You'll improve massively before you know it, if you keep pushing yourself to speak!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Niushastik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I moved to Modena from Nottingham about two months ago. Would love to meet for a chat and TEA!
Anya
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth what are you teaching? Is it English? If so what level?