New in Rome

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:02 am
Just Joined

InSearchOf... is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New in Rome

Dear all,
My wife and I are a youngish (30s) couple moving to the city in a few weeks time. I'm looking for some friends perhaps for coffee or some footy or just to have a rant with.

We have been teaching in Asia for the past five years, and with our first child due in March decided that was reason enough to be closer to home. I'm sure I'll be looking for advice from this place over the next few months!

Have a great Christmas all and our best for the new year.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New in Rome

We're not very close to Rome (we're in Florence), but my husband and I just came here from Japan. We were teaching English out there too. My husband's well into football, and he's scottish so he likes a good rant!
If we're down your way we could pop by and say ciao! Otherwise we're always up for a chat.
Buon Natale to you and your wife (and the bump!)
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Danil,
Thanks that's great we will PM you once we settle in.
Interesting that you were in Japan, we spent two years in Tokyo and then Malaysia. Buon natale anche a voi

Nigel
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by InSearchOf...
Danil,
Thanks that's great we will PM you once we settle in.
Interesting that you were in Japan, we spent two years in Tokyo and then Malaysia. Buon natale anche a voi

Nigel
Ciao tutti,

I taught English in Rome for 2 years, Not sure if I could be of any use, but fire away if needed...
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Martlet1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck in Rome. I hope things are going well.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Dear all,
My wife and I are a youngish (30s) couple moving to the city in a few weeks time. I'm looking for some friends perhaps for coffee or some footy or just to have a rant with.

We have been teaching in Asia for the past five years, and with our first child due in March decided that was reason enough to be closer to home. I'm sure I'll be looking for advice from this place over the next few months!

Have a great Christmas all and our best for the new year.
hi, I moved to rome 20 years ago, so if you are in need of any help or just for a chat get in touch. My two children were born in rome so if you need any advice let me know
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by criodain
Ciao tutti,

I taught English in Rome for 2 years, Not sure if I could be of any use, but fire away if needed...
Thanks for offer. I start work in a few weeks so will give you a shout with questions of a pedagogical nature
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Martlet1966
Good luck in Rome. I hope things are going well.
Thanks Martlet.
We are leaving for Rome this weekend and I'm beginning to get butterflies.
Nothing like a few major challenges to keep life interesting!
Fortunately we just got a place to live, so thank the lord that stress is already taken of.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by giodafa
hi, I moved to rome 20 years ago, so if you are in need of any help or just for a chat get in touch. My two children were born in rome so if you need any advice let me know
Thanks for your kind offer.
Our baby is due in middle March and we are looking at hospitals and doctors in the Lunghezza area.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Mick_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Benvenuti in Italia!

We've lived in Rome for seven years, and my wife, though technically British, grew up here. I'm originally from the West Midlands. Happy to offer any help or advice and maybe meet up for coffee/beers/pizza as and when you're settled in.

I see you're a little outside Rome, though on the right side to get into the beautiful Abruzzo region. We're south of the city close to the Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura.

Let's hope you get your internet connection sorted quicker than some.

All the best, Mick
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Mick,

Bl**dy cold innit? The move went well thanks.
I've had some time off to sort as much as possible.
We have internet and my residency is 'in progress.' God knows how long that will take.

We have managed to get a small car too. Dio mio insurance is expensive AND in my wife's name (she's from Sardinia )

In about forty or so days 'we' will be 'three', so the rest of my week is finding a doctor and a decent hospital for the big day.

Hope to meet you soon,

Nigel
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:02 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Mick,

We have internet and my residency is 'in progress.' God knows how long that will take.

We have managed to get a small car too. Dio mio insurance is expensive AND in my wife's name (she's from Sardinia )

In about forty or so days 'we' will be 'three', so the rest of my week is finding a doctor and a decent hospital for the big day.

Hope to meet you soon,

Nigel
You're right about insurance. Less coverage for more money

Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy. When you find that hospital ask them for a list of all the things you need to take in. Lots of them don't have nappies for the baby and nothing for mummy either. All the best.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Mick,

Hope to meet you soon,

Nigel
Hi, you didn't pick the best time of the year to move to rome , you're right it's freezing but doesn't make you feel at home.If you're still looking for a hospital I would say that policlinico casilino (ex villa irma) is the nearest to you and they have an excellent natal department, both my kids were born there . Just one piece of advice; choose a doctor who does private visits, have the private visit and you will get slightly better treatment, I know it sounds awful but you had better get used to this mentality if you are going to live in Italy.I wish you both the best of luck and hope you'll fall in love with Rome like I did.