Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Need to get out of England!

Need to get out of England!

Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

lou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nicelou25 is just really nice
Default Need to get out of England!

Hello everyone.

I'll try keep this short and sweet

Spent last year living in australia and loved it! had to come early due to no money just managed to find myself a part time job after going crazy living back with the parents for a few months, anyway so now i have a small bit of money coming in i want to get out of england and try living somewhere else, I had a look at Spain but from what i saw it was all quite negative feed back, so i thought Italy!

I have never been before so anyone has any info be much appreciated!!!

Where abbots should i go? I like a small city that has the buzz of a bigger city, near a beach would be great but not essential, somewhere thats pretty, nice place to live, has some hope of job opportunities.

If anyone is living there now or knows of an expat area that has english speaking people in i'd love to know where, maybe i could look for a job in an english salon??

Any help will be fantastic. thank you all!!!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

magnad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need to get out of England!

If you're looking for an expat community, I think you should probably go to Spain, because as far as I know there are none in Italy. I would imagine if you don't speak Italian or don't know anybody who speaks Italian, life would be very hard here, IMHO
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Hello Lou25 welcome:

Rimini small town on the adriatic coast BUT CRAZY in the Summer: I believe that there are quite a few brits living there, teaching etc etc.... The town is nice and if you want a BUZ thats the place to be, not my cup of tea (old grumpy git now) but the young at heart love it
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Originally Posted by magnad
If you're looking for an expat community, I think you should probably go to Spain, because as far as I know there are none in Italy. I would imagine if you don't speak Italian or don't know anybody who speaks Italian, life would be very hard here, IMHO
I don't speak Italian and due to work being mega busy, haven't had time to learn or make friends. I can tell you it is lonely, but then I'm in a crappy little town with no soul. I'm sure if you moved to a main city in Italy there'd be more opportunities to meet people etc.
But as mentioned above, Spain is much better for expat communities as more Britons escape to there I reckon.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by internationalbefky
I don't speak Italian and due to work being mega busy, haven't had time to learn or make friends. I can tell you it is lonely, but then I'm in a crappy little town with no soul. I'm sure if you moved to a main city in Italy there'd be more opportunities to meet people etc.
But as mentioned above, Spain is much better for expat communities as more Britons escape to there I reckon.
Can I be really nosy and ask what do you do? I'm curious to know what kind of job you can have where you don't have to speak Italian.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Can I be really nosy and ask what do you do? I'm curious to know what kind of job you can have where you don't have to speak Italian.
Easy - I teach English!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by internationalbefky
Easy - I teach English!
You're a brave brave woman, I teach English too but I have to use Italian every once in a while
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I agree with this. Italy is great but finding a job is hard even if you can speak italian. My OH supported me for nearly 3 years (must remember to give her a hug for that) while I did part time work while looking for a proper job. I don't think there is a big ex pat community over her. Maybe in Florence or in Milan but I haven't seen much of one up here.

Anyway good luck I personally wouldn't live anywhere else apart from Sicily....
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
I agree with this. Italy is great but finding a job is hard even if you can speak italian. My OH supported me for nearly 3 years (must remember to give her a hug for that) while I did part time work while looking for a proper job. I don't think there is a big ex pat community over her. Maybe in Florence or in Milan but I haven't seen much of one up here.

Anyway good luck I personally wouldn't live anywhere else apart from Sicily....
AFAIK there is no expat community anywhere like there is on the Costa del Sol. But you are much more likely to meet people who speak English or have lived in England in Milan, Florence and Turin. But of course you will find British people about everywhere but not enough to get a job in an english speaking salon. I'm just curious, why do you want to leave England to go somewhere where there are loads of british people and is essentially England with sunshine?

I don't know why you've heard such bad things about Spain, I've lived there and most of the people are lovely but you get idiots like you do anywhere. How about Cyprus?

I don't want to bring you down or anything!! But moving to a new country you've never been to and don't much about is a huge thing you really need to think about carefully

Last edited by magnad; Jan 25th 2011 at 9:21 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

If you want Blackpool with the sun then Spain is your best bet. If you're loooking for a different experience Italy is full of them, i know there are 2 english hair salon's here in Rome just can't find the link at the moment.If you move to Italy it isn't going to be easy , actually it's very hard at times but I've never regretted it . Good luck.

Spent last year living in australia and loved it! had to come early due to no money just managed to find myself a part time job after going crazy living back with the parents for a few months, anyway so now i have a small bit of money coming in i want to get out of england and try living somewhere else, I had a look at Spain but from what i saw it was all quite negative feed back, so i thought Italy!

Where abbots should i go? I like a small city that has the buzz of a bigger city, near a beach would be great but not essential, somewhere thats pretty, nice place to live, has some hope of job opportunities.

If anyone is living there now or knows of an expat area that has english speaking people in i'd love to know where, maybe i could look for a job in an english salon??

Any help will be fantastic. thank you all!!! [/QUOTE]
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by giodafa
If you want Blackpool with the sun then Spain is your best bet. If you're loooking for a different experience Italy is full of them, i know there are 2 english hair salon's here in Rome just can't find the link at the moment.If you move to Italy it isn't going to be easy , actually it's very hard at times but I've never regretted it . Good luck.

[/QUOTE]

don't know hwat happened there
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:53 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lou25
Hello everyone.

You thought about Croydon? There are a few Brits apparently. Or Malta? I'm in Vicenza. It's shite. Need to work my arse off for a pittance of a pay and then haven't got time to do jack.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by duffer
You thought about Croydon? There are a few Brits apparently. Or Malta? I'm in Vicenza. It's shite. Need to work my arse off for a pittance of a pay and then haven't got time to do jack.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I have to say that I live near Turin and you certainly don't come across the English speakers you do in Milan or Florence. It's hard to get by only with English you would at least have to learn a bit of bad Italian to get by. Don't think there are many job opportunities if you don't speak the lingo either. Also, if it's sun you're looking for, most of Italy is great in the summer but freeeeezing in winter and heating etc costs about four times what you would pay in the UK.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

dx052 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI OP

I am going to assume that you are 25? from looking at your screen name! & I assuming you like an adventure and there is nothing wrong with that, I like one to. Maybe you should go to Italy and see if you like it first & get a taste for the place. I applaud you for having the courage to give it a go as you have nothing to loose. There isn't much happening here right now, so what's the worse that can happen! A few months out of your life and a taste of a different culture. (there is nothing wrong with trying) at worse you could pick up another language which would be worth the trip in itself in my opinion. If I was you I would look at somewhere like Milan, I am sure you said your a hairdresser? (sorry if I am wrong) Even though its a main city its manageable & probably right up your street. I would imagine anywhere on the Adriatic is very good fun in the spring and summer months but dead in the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.