Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Italy

Moving from UK to Italy

Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving from UK to Italy

Please do not buy a house here until you have lived in the area you are interested in for at least 6 months. I take you know that estate agents here put ridiculous values on houses in the hope some stranieri turns up and pays the asking. Please remember this is not blighty.
You also realise that Tuscany is way way overpriced and bloody freezing in the winter.Take a trip across Italy there are much better regions than Tuscany IMO. Take your time dont give anybody any money unless you have triple checked and dont deposit large sums in any bank here or the taxman will be knocking at your door
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes very sound advice rent first. we are in Umbria on the border with Tuscany . It is surprising when you drive around the number of properties for sale not all through agents. If we could start again there are so many thing we would do differently, when you have been used to UK mains gas and electricity prices you will be in for the shock of your life if you have to use LPG, many things to consider
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

barryto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mikethomo, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of things would you dio differently? I have visited the town I want to live in 8 times, last time staying for a month. In November I will be back there for two weeks, and it will be interesting to see the place in a colder month. I have to say my experience with one particular estate agent has slightly put off buying, but I do want to make Italy my home, and renting, whilst an easier option, isn't ideal long term.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barryto
Hi Mikethomo, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of things would you dio differently? I have visited the town I want to live in 8 times, last time staying for a month. In November I will be back there for two weeks, and it will be interesting to see the place in a colder month. I have to say my experience with one particular estate agent has slightly put off buying, but I do want to make Italy my home, and renting, whilst an easier option, isn't ideal long term.
Hi no renting is not a long term thing, but if gives you the chance to have a good look around and buy the right property. The advice I could give a lot depends on the type of property you are looking at, we brought a half done up old farm house then had the rest restored and had an extension put on. Wish we had put a fireplace downstairs, would have done a lot more work myself and also been here when all the work was done I could of saved thousands. We have just had solar panels fitted which is with out doubt the way forward but it is early days to give facts and figures early indications are good. there is a lot of good advice this site.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

I would be buying either a totally ready-to-move-in house or apartment, or one which needed only minimal cosmetic work. My preference is actually for a top floor apartment rather than a house, but I do have some worries about being part of a condominium.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by barryto
I would be buying either a totally ready-to-move-in house or apartment, or one which needed only minimal cosmetic work. My preference is actually for a top floor apartment rather than a house, but I do have some worries about being part of a condominium.
That has always been a bug bear of mine 'service charges' nearly brought a flat in the UK until I realised there was another substantial bill every month. You will need to be sure of what your monthly utility bills will be and what kind of heating there is in the winter and possibly aircon for the summer
'
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to be part of a condo - then unless you feel the cold, aim for one without centralised heating. You will paying a fortune and have the windows open all winter - except that it is also possible that being on the top floor the heat wont reach your apartment, so you will be paying a huge amont of money and not get any heat in return. It is also not your right to opt out of centralised heating, it has to be approved by the condominium.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

zambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant futurezambon has a brilliant future
Default Moving from UK to Italy

I can only emphasise what others have said - rent before buying. It is one thing to visit Italy on holiday, quite another to live there and have to deal with all the bureaucracy - if you have only lived in England you can't imagine what it's like in Italy! And the cost of living is high, especially heating in the winter months - and most homes aren't built for the cold but for the summer heat! If you do go for an apartment, try and get top floor otherwise you will be constantly disturbed by those living upstairs as sound insulation is non existent! I lived and worked in Italy for 14 years and am so glad to be back in England now!
Old Sep 28th 2014, 8:10 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
If you are going to be part of a condo - then unless you feel the cold, aim for one without centralised heating. You will paying a fortune and have the windows open all winter - except that it is also possible that being on the top floor the heat wont reach your apartment, so you will be paying a huge amont of money and not get any heat in return. It is also not your right to opt out of centralised heating, it has to be approved by the condominium.
Bit off topic, Modica, but regions are passing laws on the installation in condos of those thingy me bobs that regulate radiators. You pay 20/50% flats rate and the rest on actual usage - measured by another thingy me bob on each radiator.

As to Cumbrian winers, I live in Turin and Verona and have never experienced anything nearly as cold as Cumbria in the winter. Even in the rare winters of heavy snowfalls in Turin the air is dry and crisp.