Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to SICILY - Good Stories

Moving to SICILY - Good Stories

Old May 5th 2014, 10:00 am
Just Joined

danijohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to SICILY - Good Stories

Hi, me & my partner are thinking of buying a small property in Sicily to renovate, we have limited resources and have so far only heard of bad stories.

Has anyone got any positive stories of moving and renovating a small project in Sicily.

Thanks
Old May 5th 2014, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to SICILY - Good Stories

I only have happy clients! Having said that, it depends where you buy, what you have in mind and don't expect to do it on a shoestring.
Old May 5th 2014, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply, we are just nervous. It's the biggest decision we have made in our life.
Old May 5th 2014, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

VEROVITA is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been blown away time and again by the kindness of the Sicilian people. There have been some ups and downs naturally but that is part of the process. Even the dreaded red tape and paper shuffling has not been as bad as we had anticipated. Especially when compared to what you encounter in the UK!!
It is true what modicasa says - pick your area carefully - take time to move around and visit several areas to see where you feel most at home.
In our case we finally decided on a property fairly close to town but in a country setting. We had originally been set on buying a place in the countryside but came to realise the benefits of not being so cut off or isolated from our neighbours (and the bread shop!!).

Everyone is different but we couldnt be happier here, we have often said we feel we have gone back fifty years to a time when community cared, when children could play out safely, when kindness was not sneered at...

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific information...we havent been here that long so we are still on a learning curve too
Old May 5th 2014, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

We can't private message at the moment as we haven't done 3 posts or something, our email is snip cut snip.

Thank you so much for your response, we would love to hear more about your story and how life treats you out there.

We would love to keep in touch with you as our plans are to be over in Sicily quite a lot and eventually move out there permanently.

Thanks Again
John

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; May 5th 2014 at 1:04 pm. Reason: removed email
Old May 5th 2014, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who got a house in Macari, close to San Vito Lo Capo, north of Trapani. A wonderful place, I have been there. they are happy there.
If you need any advice I can put you in contact with them. They are a mix couple Italian/German.

-------------------------------

Originally Posted by danijohn
Hi, me & my partner are thinking of buying a small property in Sicily to renovate, we have limited resources and have so far only heard of bad stories.

Has anyone got any positive stories of moving and renovating a small project in Sicily.

Thanks
Old May 5th 2014, 3:27 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VEROVITA
We have been blown away time and again by the kindness of the Sicilian people. There have been some ups and downs naturally but that is part of the process. Even the dreaded red tape and paper shuffling has not been as bad as we had anticipated. Especially when compared to what you encounter in the UK!!
It is true what modicasa says - pick your area carefully - take time to move around and visit several areas to see where you feel most at home.
In our case we finally decided on a property fairly close to town but in a country setting. We had originally been set on buying a place in the countryside but came to realise the benefits of not being so cut off or isolated from our neighbours (and the bread shop!!).

Everyone is different but we couldnt be happier here, we have often said we feel we have gone back fifty years to a time when community cared, when children could play out safely, when kindness was not sneered at...

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific information...we havent been here that long so we are still on a learning curve too

This in my opinion is one of the most amazing and appealing parts of living here, i agree entirely with this. Neighbours leave each other various fruits and vegetables, kids play in a big group outside, parents have no concern as the community is outside due to the weather. People are generally very helpful and have a lot of time too
Old May 5th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. It is 'like it was 50 years ago'. My parents who are in their 80's, love it here - the kids are polite, people offer them seats, teenagers get out of their way and say 'Excuse me'. Fruit and veg is as fresh as it can be, and people certainly in my area, are incredibly kind and helpful. I have clients who have been hopelessly lost and locals have driven them miles to their destination.
Verovitas advice is sound - Sicily is big, visti drive around until you find a place that feels like home, and then start looking. its no good making appointments to see houses near palermo one day, Siracusa the next - you need to find your place - and Sicily changes hugely within 20 miles. Be reuled by your heads and you will make the right decisions.