Reload this Page >

Moving to Liguria

Moving to Liguria

Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:30 pm
Moving to Liguria

Mickey1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Liguria

Hello there
We are planning on moving to Liguria, either this summer or next. Is there anyone else who has done something similar and can offer any advice please?
It's a big step and although we are very excited about it, I have to admit I am also very scared, it seems like such a massive thing to do.
Does anyone have any experience of the ISG in Genova please? Our youngest is still only 11 and we would be sending her there.

Thanks
Old Apr 17th 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

turivano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Liguria

Have read through some of the moving theads. There are alot of pitfalls and extra expense but its not impossible. If you have a job lined up or moving with a company it could be alot easier as they can help sort some of the stuff out.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:57 pm
Moving to Liguria

Thank you for your reply Turivano. Sadly no job there, as that would make things much easier as you say. My main concern is the school, was hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience of it.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mickey1
Hello there
We are planning on moving to Liguria, either this summer or next. Is there anyone else who has done something similar and can offer any advice please?
It's a big step and although we are very excited about it, I have to admit I am also very scared, it seems like such a massive thing to do.
Does anyone have any experience of the ISG in Genova please? Our youngest is still only 11 and we would be sending her there.

Thanks
Hi Mickey, sorry can't help you directly with advice on the area or school, but have a look through some of the "Moving to.." threads and you'll find lots of advice on various aspects.
Yes it is a "massive" thing to do ..
Old Apr 18th 2012, 8:40 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

Thanks
Hello and a big welcome.

Sorry to have to say that I too know nothing about this school but I wish you luck with everything.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:06 pm
Moving to Liguria

Smile Re: Moving to Liguria

Thank you for your kind wishes, both of you. I am getting more and more excited about the prospect. I have been learning Italian now for 4 years but for 2 hours a week, it feels like it's going very slowly! I can get by and surprisingly even in Liguria not many people can speak much English. A good thing as I am forced to speak Italian. I was reading some of your postings Lorna last night about talking Italian, I was very impressed. How long have you lived in Italy, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:17 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your kind wishes, both of you. I am getting more and more excited about the prospect. I have been learning Italian now for 4 years but for 2 hours a week, it feels like it's going very slowly! I can get by and surprisingly even in Liguria not many people can speak much English. A good thing as I am forced to speak Italian. I was reading some of your postings Lorna last night about talking Italian, I was very impressed. How long have you lived in Italy, if you don't mind me asking?
Sometimes it feels like forever - yet I can still remember the day that I arrived as if it were yesterday.
It has been 22 years.

This is what I wrote when I got to 20 years.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ling+spaghetti
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:34 pm
Moving to Liguria

Gosh, Sounds like you were petrified! I'm considerably older than 19 (unfortunately!). In my 40's and will have a husband and 11 year old daughter in tow plus 2 older children (18 and 20) back here, so will have an excuse to come home regularly. What a brave young lady you were, my 20 year old son can't even look after himself properly here! Your story made me smile, not funny at the time I'm sure, sounds like you handled it with true British dignity though.
Old May 9th 2012, 9:37 am
Just Joined

spot8it is an unknown quantity at this point

My main concern is the school, was hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience of it.[/QUOTE]

When I first came to Italy I was an au pair in Genova and she went to the ISG but that was about 8 years ago now. It was a lovely school but very American in curriculum and activities. Also the classes were very small. I can ask around though and see if anyone has any present experience.
p.s I absolutely love it here in this part of Italy. Originally only for three months - I'm still here!
Old May 9th 2012, 10:09 am
Moving to Liguria

Thumbs up Re: Moving to Liguria

Hello there, thanks so much for replying. I got that about the school when I visited, seems a bit odd going to Italy and ending up with an American education, but there doesn't seem to be much other choice. Glad to hear that 8 years later you are still there and enjoying it. It really is a beautiful part of the world isn't it.
I don't suppose you know of any riding stables near Genova, do you?
Old May 9th 2012, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Hi, I know! I remember finding it really hard not to correct her when she wrote mom etc for her homework. I know they also changed the location, I think they're still in Quinto but am not exactly sure. I can ask around though and let you know. Otherwise the German school has a very good reputation as an international school but I guess that's a completely different ball game. Will you be based in Genova itself or out on the riviera? I do know about riding schools funnily enough. I know an english girl who's mad about riding but she lives near serravalle - I'm not sure how well you know the area?
Old May 9th 2012, 11:49 am
Moving to Liguria

I think ISG is trying to move away from their American roots, I guess because in reality, the have more British children than American. They have moved location, they are now based near Quarto station, in an old monastry. They do the IB qualification now which is very highly thought of, even in the UK.
We will be living on the riviera, Portofino side (sadly not there though!), between Chiavari and Sestri Levante. There isn't much sport at school and my daughter does 2 hours a day here at school, so I am trying to find lots of things for her to do instead. She is potty about horses and would like to try and continue her lessons, maybe even get herself a pony. But our garden will be small and terraced so we would need somewhere to stable it. We are also looking at tennis clubs. I haven't heard of the place you mentioned, is it on the other side of Genova?

We intend to throw ourselves into as much as possible in a bid to be accepted into the community. Not because we have a huge need to be accepted just because we don't want to live an English life in the sun but to immerse ourselves in the Italian lifestyle. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you M
Old May 9th 2012, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

it's so wierd, I'm sitting here between Rapallo and Chiavari!
Serravalle is on the road to Milan where they have the outlet designer shopping centre, so would probably be a bit far for your daughter as an after school activity. However, I'll ask if she knows any places nearer to Chiavari.
I play tennis twice a week with a lovely guy called filippo who I would definitely recommend. He teaches at a club in Rapallo but also has some students in Sestri Levante. A couple of weeks ago he organized for all his students to go the monaco open which was great fun.
Everyone here is lovely, it's not true what they say about the Ligurians being cold, they are so friendly. I find bags of lemons left on my windscreen in the morning, home made wine on the doorstep and friends pop round with homemade tiramisu!
Old May 9th 2012, 12:56 pm
Moving to Liguria

That sounds wonderful!
I spent a lot of time in the area as a child staying with friends from Milan who holidayed there. I have also been back several times recently and I have to say I have never found them anything but friendly and polite, with the odd exception obviously.
It was Rapallo tennis club we were thinking of, how funny. I will keep his name in mind, thank you. I like Rapallo, we stayed there at Easter for a few days.
We are hoping to buy a house in Cogorno, although it will be a rustico as it's so expensive there.
I was beginning to think that there were no expats living in the area, at least not on this site.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I was just having lunch in a bar and noticed that photos of the lady horse riding! funny when things like that happen! She's given me details of two places one in Leivi above Chiavari and the other is sestri Levante. I've got their phone numbers if you want to DM me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.