Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Italy for Summer - which Regions are Best

Moving to Italy for Summer - which Regions are Best

Old Aug 5th 2014, 10:33 am
Property expert

marcuzzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Italy for Summer - which Regions are Best

I am based in Padova and have a house in Marche, would vote for Padova of the 2, much more liveable and much much better connections, BA fly from all london airports and are very competitive, and there is no comparison with Ryan air. Good train connections to everywhere, and good national air connections, they fly to just about everywhere from Venice marco polo. If Padova (30mins from adriatic coast) isn't your cup of espresso, then the verona or even vicenza area are good, with the verona area having the advantage of Garda. Not to mention, Treviso,, Veneto, if you are inclined to the north has just about everything....
Old Aug 5th 2014, 10:54 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcuzzo
I am based in Padova and have a house in Marche, would vote for Padova of the 2, much more liveable and much much better connections, BA fly from all london airports and are very competitive, and there is no comparison with Ryan air. Good train connections to everywhere, and good national air connections, they fly to just about everywhere from Venice marco polo. If Padova (30mins from adriatic coast) isn't your cup of espresso, then the verona or even vicenza area are good, with the verona area having the advantage of Garda. Not to mention, Treviso,, Veneto, if you are inclined to the north has just about everything....
I'm in Verona. Wouldn't chose July/Aug in Verona unless you like hot and humid. How about splitting the stay into a month Rome and a month further north?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
I'm in Verona. Wouldn't chose July/Aug in Verona unless you like hot and humid. How about splitting the stay into a month Rome and a month further north?
I would avoid Rome in August, it is the peak tourist season and will be hot and humid - most Romans i.e. those not involved in tourist-related work go elsewhere in August.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

Rome is August is great with the exception of the heat. Not too many people around.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:48 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fleetwoodmac1975
Rome is August is great with the exception of the heat. Not too many people around.
Are you just looking for arguments?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

haha. I get your point - I especially appreciate the quiet city, especially in the mornings with less traffic, plus semi-deserted supermarkets, shopping centres etc.
And this year it's cool too .. in the climatic sense.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 3:40 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is only planning on 2 months.
Two months is a privilege. Not a life sentence. Two months will fly by wherever you are. Two months will be too much in one single city so why not just start at the top and work your way down? Or up depending on where you'll land? Go with the flow and take a little of your reserach and a little of what you've got from us. Just go ! Have fun !
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Are you just looking for arguments?
Why do you think I am looking for an argument?
I am disappointed with your response, generally your contributions are measured and polite, I hope you have not caught the sunnysider bug...

I lived in Rome for 19 years I know what I am talking about. August is a great time to visit with smaller crowds, less traffic etc etc
Old Aug 6th 2014, 7:57 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Why do you think I am looking for an argument?
I am disappointed with your response, generally your contributions are measured and polite, I hope you have not caught the sunnysider bug...

I lived in Rome for 19 years I know what I am talking about. August is a great time to visit with smaller crowds, less traffic etc etc
Nice try but I am not biting.

You can argue it your way and there is indeed some elements of truth in what you say. It is quieter where I live for example as many of the locals are away (I can park near my apartment at the moment ), if you were to drive in Rome there is noticeably less traffic as many locals have taken there cars to the mountains or the coast; however, the visitors tend to use the public transport system and don't generallly drive around the city, so less traffic is not a plus for them - surely you can see that?

Moreover, as you must know if you lived here, August is unpleasantly hot and exceedingly humid and the metro (and buses to a lesser extent) is crowded all day with tourists.

Accordingly, my advice as someone living here now, and for the reasons stated above, is that there are much better times to visit Rome than August.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 8:42 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Accordingly, my advice as someone living here now, and for the reasons stated above, is that there are much better times to visit Rome than August.
That is true for most of Italy in August. Turin is good in August. Gone are the years when it was deserted and you had to hike miles for bread etc, but it's still not too busy, you can walk out of the sun or rain for about 15 kms and the 2 centre week parking is free in the town centre. Good museums too, Egyptian, Film, First Parliament etc. Plenty of parks and estates not far out from the city centre.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

the mountanes in abruzzo , to cool down , then a dip in the adriatic to cool down , after your trip to rome buses every hour from pescara
Old Aug 6th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Linseed, admirable efforts to promote Abruzzo and not a bad call. But, I must go with onnono and say according to the person's criteria, Umbria.