Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Italy soon.

Moving to Italy soon.

Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Pipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Italy soon.

Originally Posted by Isakat
Diane, we were talking about wills some time ago on this forum and came to a conclusion that it is better and cheaper to make a will in the UK and then do a holographic will here which basically is a handwritten document in Italian stating that you wish your assets to be divided as per your UK drawn will.
Would it not depend who's name the house would be in? And would it work if her fiance is Italian? I suppose if the house was in her name or joint names it would definitely be worth it for her to draw up a will in the UK but again once married the wills would be void. And if they got married in Italy... would Italian inheritance law not over take any UK will if one party is Italian??

I have no legal expertise what so ever so I'm purely chucking those questions about...
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:33 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Pipistrelli, here is a summary. http://www.italymagazine.com/italy-f...d-italian-will
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Diane Boast is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,
Seems like a mine field.
Some very thought provoking answers and more confusing questions..... I do need to read through all again and get clear in my mind. Am sure there will be plenty more questions to ask, in the meantime Thank you, will keep in touch when I have grasped the information i have already.

Diane.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Mikefint is an unknown quantity at this point

A few points I want to make in regards to your tread.

Wills, you should really have a will in every country you hold assets. Getting a document written to refer to a UK will doesn't really meet the criteria needed and could cause issues.

If you have pensions and yet to take the 25%, take it before you leave otherwise once you become an Italian resident you become an Italian tax payer and the 25% is not tax free and added to your income for that year.

Currency can be an issue I advise all my clients not to use banks as the rates they offer are usually poor and you can get a better deal elsewhere.

If you require Tax or Private Wealth advice please don't hesitate in contacting me.

I work for a FCA registered financial firm.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Nov 6th 2013 at 3:30 pm. Reason: please don't advertise your business here.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

OK Diane -
You are moving to Sicily - welcome, and get ready, it won't be all plain sailing.

You can bring in 10.000 euros in cash. Each. No more. For the rest, use a currency transfer company once you have opened a bank account here. Set up the facility before you leave the UK and you can supply your new bank details (IBAN and BIC) once you have them, and the transfer is easy. Don't give money to other people who say you can use their bank.... !

Have a will in the UK and make a holographic will in Italy - that will protect you under Italian law of having your possession go under Italian succession law. I presume you are a British national. Remember that in Italy only being actually married gives you rights of succession, so cohabitees, common law partners, get nothing in the event of death.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 10:38 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret M
We brought a cat and two dogs over 7 years ago. Pet Passports are easier to get these days, as the rabies vaccination procedure is much simpler than it was then. You shouldn't have a problem. We used the tunnel, and the animals just stayed in the vehicle with us. I think on the ferries they have to be left in the vehicles while you have to leave the vehicle.
Ferry from Genova to palermo there are special cabins for owners of dogs, there is also an area on deck to walk them there were maybe 20 dogs and plenty of space

GET a muzzle though if your dog barks unmuzzled you are in trouble if someone complains
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Ferry from Genova to palermo there are special cabins for owners of dogs, there is also an area on deck to walk them there were maybe 20 dogs and plenty of space

GET a muzzle though if your dog barks unmuzzled you are in trouble if someone complains
I was talking about the channel ferries. I guess the trip from Genova to Palermo is a much longer one.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Piquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond reputePiquet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piquet
Hello everyone. Following on from Diane's post, we are hoping to complete on an apartment near Lake Maggiore pretty soon. We will be splitting our time between UK and Italy (I am retired, so not seeking work)

Think we are okay on all the legal stuff for the purchase, but wondered if you had any top tips, things you wished you'd known, or things you are glad you knew in connection with what you need to do or avoid once you move in? Many thanks.
Well, after all sorts of complications to slow things down, we should be in by Easter. Anyone around the Verbania end of the lake?