Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Italy

Moving to Italy

Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Kerquinquis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Italy

My wife and I lived in France for 30yrs where we ran our business and were fully integrated into the French Social system.
We moved back to the UK in 2017 after Brexit but the UK is a foul place to live now and as we have visited Italy many times we are interested in selling our property in the UK and buying a property in Italy to live there permanently.
We would appreciate any information regarding the financial thresholds required in order to be allowed to stay there - I have contacted the Italian Embassy in the UK but have not yet received a reply.
Any advice or information would be helpful, thanks in advance, especially regarding areas where UK ex-pats (now sadly known as immigrants!) reside.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 5th 2021 at 2:00 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Italy

Search on here and the web for elective residency. I would also suggest comparing the tax situation here. There are English all over Italy...
Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite informative
https://nancygoestoitaly.com/moving-to-italy-info/
Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks!
Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Will have a look, thanks.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

dreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the roughdreamo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kerquinquis
Will have a look, thanks.
I believe there is a special tax incentive at the moment for those who become resident. There is lots on the internet but the following might be a good starting point: https://www.grantthornton.global/en/...d-individuals/
Old Oct 7th 2021, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

You make some interesting comments in your original post that I want to ask you about...in what way is the UK "foul" now? not disputing your right to have an opinion, but interested to hear why you think that. Whats the problem with being an "immigrant"? I prefer the idea that I have deliberately decided to be someone who lives in Italy. I think it sounds more positive than being an "ex", which seems like someone who is defined by what they are no longer rather than what they are now.

BUT that doesn't really help with your initial questions.

Because each region in Italy applies different rules you can't really rely on what other people say about their experiences (unless they live in the region you're interested in). I'd start by thinking about where you want to live and then check the rules for that region. Of course this might have changed post-brexit
Old Oct 7th 2021, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

The UK is 'foul' and has been since brexshit and the tories were re-elected by utter fools.
In Europe there is now no such thing as 'expats' - those of us such as us who were in France for 30yrs and those of you in Spain and Italy are now 'immigrants' as racists, geriatrics, ex-squaddies and uneducated illiterates voted for brexshit and destroyed the UK which remains our home country - but this country is no longer mine.
Leaving France and returning to the UK in 2017 was the worst thing we ever did, we were fully integrated into the French system and in hindsight we should have moved to either Spain or Italy where we would have integrated again and would have had the freedom of movement to decide where in Europe we wanted to live.
The tories are systematically destroying the UK and we have the utmost revulsion and scorn for those, especially in Spain, who had properties there and who deliberately returned to the UK to vote leave! Hopefully they lose everything as they are having to leave their properties as they refused to register for permanent residency as we of course did in France - there is a cartoon doing the rounds titled 'A place in the Shit' - a new afternoon programme showing sunburnt racist pensioners with faces like thunder looking round run-down flats in Middlesborough!!
Just because you decided to live in Italy doesn't remove you from being and 'ex'!
Old Oct 7th 2021, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

You should join the Brexit and Tories in Chaos threads. The angry Remoaners hang out there.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 7:19 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I lived in France for 30yrs where we ran our business and were fully integrated into the French Social system.
We moved back to the UK in 2017 after Brexit but the UK is a foul place to live now and as we have visited Italy many times we are interested in selling our property in the UK and buying a property in Italy to live there permanently.
We would appreciate any information regarding the financial thresholds required in order to be allowed to stay there - I have contacted the Italian Embassy in the UK but have not yet received a reply.
Any advice or information would be helpful, thanks in advance, especially regarding areas where UK ex-pats (now sadly known as immigrants!) reside.
There isn't a set amount needed to gain an elective residency visa. It's, supposedly, kept vague in order to make refusals easier.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha! It's good to get it out of your system.

I used to think that things in the UK were kinda generally getting better. I don't think that now. I feel that saying all those who voted for Brexit and/or for the Tories are idiots or racists isn't really fair. I am sure some are intelligent and have logical reasons. But I broadly agree that Brexit was a stupid decision, which is now being backed up by a series of equally stupid decisions and excuses... so if you end up in the north of Lazio you'd be welcome to come and share a glass of wine and a whinge about Britain!

My point about the words isn't just semantics: an ex-pat is defined as a person who no longer lives in their original country. They're defined by the decision to leave that country. An immigrant is a person who moves to live in a country (which can be be for all sorts of reasons). They're defined by the country they choose to live in ( i know some people don't have much choice).

So the focus isn't what pushed you out of the UK but what pulled you to your new home. And to me that's a really important difference.

As I've only lived abroad for a few years I'm trying to get my head round the feeling that I will always be English and never Italian, but I don't think I will ever feel truly at home in the UK again. I'm in the UK visiting family at the moment, and I think I see things from a different point of view and things seem very crowded, unfriendly and obsessed with consumption.

There's some saying about 'He who has two homes having none' or something like that...
Old Oct 7th 2021, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
There isn't a set amount needed to gain an elective residency visa. It's, supposedly, kept vague in order to make refusals easier.
The American website I posted says

It is hard to find actual amounts published. As of this writing (2019) the LA Consulate says, “a single applicant must have a monthly income of a minimum Euro 2,596.60.” ($2,905 at this writing)

The information is out of date and only applies to LA. At least it gives an idea of the income required.

Last edited by philat98; Oct 7th 2021 at 8:08 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

For ER you need at least an income of €31,000/yr.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

The UK is 'foul' and has been since brexshit and the tories were re-elected by utter fools.
In Europe there is now no such thing as 'expats' - those of us such as us who were in France for 30yrs and those of you in Spain and Italy are now 'immigrants' as racists, geriatrics, ex-squaddies and uneducated illiterates voted for brexshit and destroyed the UK which remains our home country - but this country is no longer mine.
Leaving France and returning to the UK in 2017 was the worst thing we ever did, we were fully integrated into the French system and in hindsight we should have moved to either Spain or Italy where we would have integrated again and would have had the freedom of movement to decide where in Europe we wanted to live.
The tories are systematically destroying the UK and we have the utmost revulsion and scorn for those, especially in Spain, who had properties there and who deliberately returned to the UK to vote leave! Hopefully they lose everything as they are having to leave their properties as they refused to register for permanent residency as we of course did in France - there is a cartoon doing the rounds titled 'A place in the Shit' - a new afternoon programme showing sunburnt racist pensioners with faces like thunder looking round run-down flats in Middlesborough!!
Just because you decided to live in Italy doesn't remove you from being and 'ex'!
Have you had a look into the political situation and some of the ‘attitudes’ here?
Old Oct 8th 2021, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tpw21
Have you had a look into the political situation and some of the ‘attitudes’ here?
Good point. Michetti wants to restore the Roman salute if he becomes mayor of Rome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.