Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Italy

Moving to Italy

Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:51 am
Just Joined

kris12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Italy

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Veneto. He is Italian and I am of Indian background. We have two children. Are my children likely to face difficulties because of their ethnic background?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:35 am
Just Joined

kris12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Italy

Sorry, I should have added that my husband's family had no problem in accepting me but considering I am rather a novelty in the area they have not shown any interest in my cultural background. It is almost as if I am accepted as an Italian - my colour and background have been avoided. I have found this rather odd since I always find meeting someone who can offer an insight to a whole new culture fascinating. I can live with this lack of interest but could not live in a society where my children suffer from discrimination.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kris

Italy is becoming more and more multicultural but it's not and won't ever be comparable to London. I was born in Wiltshire to Ghanian parents. I first came to Italy in 1990 and then moved here for good 10 years ago. If you go to a big city there will probably be a somewhat cosmopolitan atmosphere but if you go to a small town people will blatantly stare at you due to curiosity rather than hostility.

I have two children and they as yet they haven't experienced any problems but they wouldn't at their ages 3 and 6. There will always be name calling that children face whether it's to do with their colour, size or religion. It's just a matter of instilling them with a strong self esteem and confidence and that will get them through any nastiness they might face in life. My children were born in Italy have dual nationality, I hope they will have the best of all three cultures.

Being married to an Italian I'm sheltered from the discrimination that a single black women would meet. My husband's family are from Tuscany and here people are relaxed in general. It's probably a bit of a generalization to say this but I believe there is more discrimination in the northern industrialized cities than anywhere else. I personally have lived in Milan, Genoa and here in Tuscany. I didn't queue up outside the questura for hours waiting for my PdS, I'm self employed, I own my home and have some really great Italian friends. I do get loads of attention but I'm used to it and as I said it's mainly curiosity.

I wouldn't let ideas of discrimination put you off a move to Italy. You get discrimination anywhere in the world for about absolutely anything.

Bye
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

ceaser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kris12
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Veneto. He is Italian and I am of Indian background. We have two children. Are my children likely to face difficulties because of their ethnic background?
I honestly cant see a problem, normally the locals are very welcoming. I wish you all the best on your move to Italy
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:05 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kris12
Hi Kris,

You shouldn't have any serious problems nor should the kids if they're fairly young. There is a large growing Asian workforce in the Veneto area adding to the significant number of Africans. Therefore it's nice to see multi ethnical groups of young kids and teenagers around town. It doesn't appear that there is segregation of the ethnic groups solely judged by the school children I see waiting at bus stations. Depending on their ages, the kids might have difficulties adjusting but this would be the case wherever you'd move to

However, it is very uncommon for mixed race couples here (I'm in Vicenza by the way) so you will be looked upon with curiousity. If you don't like being stared at then it could be a problem. Also, the stranieri still get the short end of the stick in terms of quality of customer service so sadly, you might be treated rather informally (use of the 'tu' form instead of the 'Lei') just based upon the colour of your skin.

Where are you coming from and where are you thinking of settling? Can you speak Italian??

Anyways, welcome to the site and whatever happens good luck on your move out here!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site!

I am also in Vicenza (must all get together soon Duffer for another pizza evening!) and would think you would suffer more discrimination if you were from the American military than being Asian in this area!
There is certainly a mix of ethinic cultures in this area and hopefully you would have no problems settling in this region, particularly with an Italian spouse for support - it does help a lot if you can prove you speak the language and understand the culture, and this is regardless of the colour of your skin.

Good luck with your move over - whereabouts in the Veneto are you thinking of comng to?

Carrie