Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Italy

Moving to Italy

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Location: I currently live in Leeds but am intending to move to Italy in the middle of 2007.
MattWat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Italy

Morning everyone

This is my first post on here so please be patient.
I want to move to Italy midway through next year (currently live in York)
I can speak Italian to pretty well (did a degree in Italian and French but only used on holiday since). I also have a family house over there from my father-in-law so those two things are great.
My worry at the moment is finidng a job. I am a qualified Project Manager which is the area I currently work in but have no idea about finding a job in Italy (can I really be this dim) Looked on the web but to no avail. I'm not really very bothered what I do as have done all sorts over the years and want enough cash to pay the bills but ultimately something mentally challenging.
I'm moving to just outside Turin. Does anyone know of any multi nationals in Turin or any magazines the likes of the ones in Milan and Rome?
As much as I love York, Italy has been calling me ever since I spent a year there for my degree and it is time for a new challenge and if dealing with Italian red tape and just paying bills isn't a challenge I don't know what is.
Hope someone can help.
Cheers
Matt
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to Italy

Hi Matt,
I am sorry to say I can't offer any helpful advice about finding a job in Italy, but I can tell you we made the move from Bradford to Italy a couple of months ago and have no regrets at all. It sounds like the perfect solution for you as you have family here and good knowledge of the language - which is more than most of us expats have!
I smile when I see the North West England weather forecast and am still amazed that for 3 euros you can get a good bottle of wine
As you probably already know, the wages here are so much lower than in the UK so many people try to find an American or UK company to work for as they tend to offer better wages and perks than Italian ones. Have you tried just searching on the internet for jobs in the area you will be in? Big companies may post them online. Some of the other Italy expat websites have notice boards where you can post a job wanted ad. Get your CV translated and printed up before you come over as well, so you can be ready to hand it out to as many companies as you can. Many people teach English when they first come over, at language schools or in regular Italian schools, and something like this may see you through while you find a more permanent position.
Hope all goes well for your move from Leeds and that you find that dream job!
Kind regards
Carrie
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Location: I currently live in Leeds but am intending to move to Italy in the middle of 2007.

Hi Carrie

Thanks for that, Braford to Italy is a great move.
I'm going to Italy for Christmas with the family so I think I may well see who I can badger to find a job and use the old Italian networking.
So looking forward to making the move. I've no illusions it is going to be simple but I'm sure it will be worth every second and have plenty of friends in the local village after numerous visits there for the last 4 years.
If only I could get a transfer from here it would solve all my problems but what fun is it if there aren't a few barriers in the way.
Ah well back to saving the NHS in my own little way.
Have a lovely day and maybe a grappa for me.
Matt
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

piedmontproperty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MattWat
Morning everyone

This is my first post on here so please be patient.
I want to move to Italy midway through next year (currently live in York)
I can speak Italian to pretty well (did a degree in Italian and French but only used on holiday since). I also have a family house over there from my father-in-law so those two things are great.
My worry at the moment is finidng a job. I am a qualified Project Manager which is the area I currently work in but have no idea about finding a job in Italy (can I really be this dim) Looked on the web but to no avail. I'm not really very bothered what I do as have done all sorts over the years and want enough cash to pay the bills but ultimately something mentally challenging.
I'm moving to just outside Turin. Does anyone know of any multi nationals in Turin or any magazines the likes of the ones in Milan and Rome?
As much as I love York, Italy has been calling me ever since I spent a year there for my degree and it is time for a new challenge and if dealing with Italian red tape and just paying bills isn't a challenge I don't know what is.
Hope someone can help.
Cheers
Matt
Hi Matt

I moved to Piedmont 2 years ago and have no regrets, yes it has been a little difficult at times but the weather food and wine more than make up for it.
Ferrero (Ferrero Rocher fame) have a massive place in Alba(province of Cuneo) and due to their various factories around the world usually need English speaking staff. In fact they teach thier staff English for free.
Alba is a great place and is about 90 minutes from Torino.
It might be worth getting on their website and submtting your Cv
I hope this helpsi
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Hey there

Thanks very much for that I shall follow your advice. I'm really looking forward to it all now and have booked my tickets for Christmas. Roll on the 20th december is all I can say. Funnily enough there was an article in Metro this morning about skiing in Courmayeur. I just looked at the mountains and knew I had made the right choice.
So whereabouts are you in Piedmont then?
Right rather than actual work it is tome for the Ferrero website.
Thanks again
Matt

Originally Posted by piedmontproperty
Hi Matt

I moved to Piedmont 2 years ago and have no regrets, yes it has been a little difficult at times but the weather food and wine more than make up for it.
Ferrero (Ferrero Rocher fame) have a massive place in Alba(province of Cuneo) and due to their various factories around the world usually need English speaking staff. In fact they teach thier staff English for free.
Alba is a great place and is about 90 minutes from Torino.
It might be worth getting on their website and submtting your Cv
I hope this helpsi
Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:32 am
Just Joined

piedmontproperty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MattWat
Hey there

Thanks very much for that I shall follow your advice. I'm really looking forward to it all now and have booked my tickets for Christmas. Roll on the 20th december is all I can say. Funnily enough there was an article in Metro this morning about skiing in Courmayeur. I just looked at the mountains and knew I had made the right choice.
So whereabouts are you in Piedmont then?
Right rather than actual work it is tome for the Ferrero website.
Thanks again
Matt
Hi Matt

I am based in the Alba which really is regarded as the capital of the Langhe wine growing region. Its very nice and the people are good