Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Genoa

Moving to Genoa

Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

World citizen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Genoa

After theee years in New Zealand and eight years in Australia my family and I decided to move back to Europe. My wife is English and I am German but want to live in Italy for life style and career reasons. My children are very arts minded but decent academic achievers, my wife a former professional ballet dancer, a passion that she shares with my three girls and I am a tennis coach that runs a business for tournament players at national/international level.
i would like to live my business to Genoa as we would be still close enough to a few neighbouring countries for accessing tournaments but also for my kids to travel to in order to widen their horizon with regards to arts, culture etc.
My oldest child is finishing school in a few weeks and will defer his entry into uni for a year in order to make up his mind whether he wants to stay with us in Italy or move back to Oz.
I need help with finding a facility to rent out for coaching as all clubs have their own coaches and I don’t want to start my life in Italy being accused of stealing students. I am also looking for keen players with English and or German speaking background as my Italian is pretty much on novice level.
A handful of my current students will come to live and train for about three to four months per year in Italy and I will spend about the same time travelling around the European tennis tour.
I could get a place for my sixteen year old daughter at Deledda International school but need to find an affordable quality school for my five and eight year old daughters that don’t speak any Italian yet.
Other than that we are looking to live more rural but still within an easy commute to the city.
No that was quite a mouthful to digest!!-Sorry!
Anyone here that has any suggestions? We plan on moving around February to April.
This would give everyone enough time to climatiae with the Italian way of life and establish some core knowledge of the Italian language and culture.
Many thanks in advance for taking your time to read through this post and your considerations.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Genoa

Please accept my apologies for a few typos in the above post. I hope you can still make sense out of it!
Old Oct 9th 2018, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome,
Property prices in and around Genoa have probably come down a bit in the last month or so, but the problems you and your clients will experience travelling around the area will not have been solved by February next. There is a thread about driving up to France from Sicily that has some recent contributions from somebody who lives there, you might want to have a read.
I cannot help with any of your other queries, but there will be someone along soon, I'm sure.
Good luck!
Old Oct 9th 2018, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your prompt response. What are the problems you are mentioning about travelling to France?
Old Oct 10th 2018, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you with your post, but welcome and best of luck with your venture.
Tragically this happened back in August.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia must be getting as insular as the US with any external news not affecting them is not broadcast.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:52 am
Just Joined

we got the news about the collapsed bridge but didn’t learn anything about the implications.
Look forward to getting some more info about schools, where to rent or buy or contacts in the tennis industry..