Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Moving to Bergamo

Moving to Bergamo

Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of
Default Moving to Bergamo

Hi nice people,
Can anyone give me some pointers as to whether the city has "good" and "bad" areas as far as address goes. Is there a dodgy part of town to be avoided?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:09 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bergamo

Er, the airport?! See you are a regular poster on other country forums but not here - so welcome to Italy! Are you going to be joining everyone's fave airline up there or are you one of the few working for a different employer? Just being nosey as Ryan is a favourite topic of ours on here!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Hi TestaRossa,
I have an Internet related business. We have been happily living in Spain for the past 3 years which was something I wanted to do. And now it's the wife's turn. She always wanted to have a bash at living in Italy for a while. She is Hungarian and Spain is just that bit too far away from the inlaws (but not far enough for me!). Northern Italy would make going back just a 1 days drive.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:23 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I can see that it would be a bit closer! Have just checked where you are in Spain - you are going to have fun adjusting to the weather! Does you wife hanker for her home climate too then?!

Last edited by TestaRossa; Nov 10th 2010 at 9:26 pm. Reason: 'cos can't read!!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

It's more of our way of life. Because we can live quite comfortably from a few hours a day in front of a computer, it appeared that we might as well used this good fortune to explore a little. A few years back it was Japan, Thailand and Cambodia. But now we have a little mite (he's 5 years old), we decided to "limit" ourselves to Europe (the in-laws again). Spain has been great...we both speak well and have really "lived" here (for 3.5 years), in that we have very little contact with English speakers. But, every life needs a dream to sustain it. And to that end, the road leads to Italy. Of course, what all this "experience" actually amounts to, who can say. But in some years, it'll be necessary to "settle down" for the sake of the mighty mites' growing up in familiar surroundings....which will more than probably be back in Hungary. But before that, whilst we have the time and inclination (and school in Hungary doesn't start till 7 years old)....lets have a look at Italy!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:52 am
The Original Red Head!

I have friends who lived in Budapest for 11 years and loved it. They only moved back to the UK because OH took a career change that didn't work out as it happened! They have now bought an apartment in the centre for holidays etc and as an inheritance for their kids. Their son spent the first 8 years of his life there!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:47 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Why Bergamo?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:52 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

yeah it's a shithole
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

The only reason is that we've been offered an apartment there.
Duffer: Can you explain?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:26 pm
The Original Red Head!

The only reason to go there is for the airport, which was why the question about Ryan. It's good for Milan and the lakes but it isn't really a destination sort of place compared to other areas of Italy. I'm sure duffer will expand more thoroughly....I also happen to know he is suffering severe Ben and Jerry's deprivation among other things so be warned, but then you already have been by his erudite response...
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:51 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
The only reason is that we've been offered an apartment there.
Duffer: Can you explain?
Well there's nothing wrong with Bergamo, but I can't think of a reason to live there unless you need the airport. Football players live there. Some northern pop/t.v. stars live there. It is handy for Milano. If I could chose a place in northern Italy it would be in one of the autonomous regions Aosta/TrentinoAltoAdige/FriuliVeneziaGuila.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 37100
Well there's nothing wrong with Bergamo, but I can't think of a reason to live there unless you need the airport. Football players live there. Some northern pop/t.v. stars live there. It is handy for Milano. If I could chose a place in northern Italy it would be in one of the autonomous regions Aosta/TrentinoAltoAdige/FriuliVeneziaGuila.
I saw some pictures of the city and it looks great. It has mountains which in my oppinion is a bonus. It's also close to Milan, the most prosperous city. I was thinking moving there and I would be interested on good and bad aspects.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum littlelamb, I don't know Bergamo but we have relatives who have a villa there (well just outside), they used to live in Milan, they own a holiday home down in Puglia as well but I couldn't see them living down here, too much to do up there and very central for visiting the rest of Europe. Good luck.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PAT M
Welcome to the forum littlelamb, I don't know Bergamo but we have relatives who have a villa there (well just outside), they used to live in Milan, they own a holiday home down in Puglia as well but I couldn't see them living down here, too much to do up there and very central for visiting the rest of Europe. Good luck.
What's their impression about Bergamo, do yo know?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

No sorry, only that it's his wife's home province, they live in a village. They are both retired and are able to travel alot.