Reload this Page >

Moving to Abruzzo

Moving to Abruzzo

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:00 am
Just Joined

jadehorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Abruzzo

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
I think you have been given great advice above by all the contributors.

For my little interjection.....

If you look for example at Trip Advisor, the highest rated B&B in Abruzzo is €33 per room night. (Possibly because of the price but not drastically out of line with other B&B's). So 3 rooms, 65% occupancy for half the year gives a top line number of €11750 before costs. Deduct tax, food costs, cleaning etc your bottom line is going to come down to something like €7500 per year.

Now you can probably go up to €80 per room night for a really top experience but it's very unlikely that you are going to hit high occupancy rates. Say 40% for 3 months, your bottom line comes down to something like €13,000.

Good luck but really think hard and have a very good business plan.
Good morning Capo Boi

thank you for the info, its a huge help. Why are the room rates so low, is its because of over supply or lack of tourism ?

many thanks x
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
As Geordieborn says:

'I did mean to add that people we know had a B&B for quite some years. lovely place with nice pool, but it was a struggle.. They now rent the entire house in the high season and appear to be doing a lot better!'

This is often the more viable option. Certainly if you are close to the coast.

Also on the horse front, (if that is what you are looking at), I'm sorry but it's very difficult to make it pay. For a two to three hour trek, you are maybe talking about €40 tops per person. Insurance and tax can easily bring your net down to €20 or below. Its very seasonal so a three to four month period is what you are realistically looking at. Feed and vets bills obviously run throughout the year. Genuinely wish you luck as I'm a horse lover (not ridden for some time though), but please go in with your eyes open.
Our horses are for our private use , mostly retired. However it would be great if you could advise me if there are any good blacksmiths and vets in the area ?

This is another concern for us in that the area that we move to would be well serviced by Bsmiths and vets.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much everyone, im so pleased that I joined the group as it has given us a great insight into what its really like and compounded some of the worries that we have /had about moving to Italy.
Its quite easy to get carried away with heart ruling head and just throwing caution to the wind but the harsh reality is that this was never going to be easy and reading some of the feed has really made us think about it again.
My family are from Naples and the majority of them still live in Naples and surrounding areas and its good to know we have a safety net there, however I haven't lived in Italy since I was young and any time spent here in the last 20 years has been visiting family and having lovely holidays in the sun, which is completely different to working/living there. Any other advise and info is greatly received xx
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Could anyone tell me if there are alot of cyclists (road) in the area, is it a popular destination for cyclists ??

Thank you
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jadehorse1
My husband is a fully qualified and registered gas engineer and plumber, he has had his business for several years but its whether or not he would be able to qualify and register in Italy, something we need to look into !
Almost certainly there would be the possibility of him requalifying in Italy - probably the UK trade associations would be able to give some info on this - but there would be a cost (obviously) and whilst plumbers anywhere are always in demand, to service the domestic market he would have to speak good Italian, and maybe even then have some credibility problems. The expat market would probably be much easier, though obviously a much more limited customer base.

The reason behind moving to Italy would be to have a better lifestyle and I know financially our income would be dramatically reduced but it was something we were prepared do.

After reading some of the feedback and info (which has been great by the way) its made me think again ! and any doubts that we had about making a living have been confirmed. in that its going to be bloody difficult!
Yes, it is going to be difficult, though the best approach would probably be to derive your income from multiple sources - him working as a plumber, you working in some way in the property industry, some teaching and /or translation work (if that's something you would be willing to do and capable of), a B&B and whatever else you can invent using skills you have or could develop. It'd be precarious but could work.

Why are the room rates so low, is its because of over supply or lack of tourism ?
I actually think it's the other way round, that the UK is so expensive. When we go on holiday here we usually stay in 3* hotels (which are almost always of a very high standard) and it has to be somewhere exceptional AND highest season for us to pay more than €50 a head for room and breakfast. In our B&B we charge an absolute maximum of €75 for a double.

This is another concern for us in that the area that we move to would be well serviced by Blacksmiths and vets.
Blacksmiths should be no problem in a country area, vets similar. In my experience both are cheaper than in the UK

Could anyone tell me if there are alot of cyclists (road) in the area, is it a popular destination for cyclists?
Here in Le Marche road cycling is very popular, and I would expect the same in Abruzzo. However, the vast majority are locals (i.e. not staying overnight), we've had very few cyclists staying here, far more common are hill walkers & climbers. The situation with cyclists may change in the future, as Le Marche is developing a network of long-distance cycle routes, probably Abruzzo is doing the same. Contact the Regione Tourist Office, they should be able to advise what is planned and where (though treat any 'when' with a large pinch of salt!)
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:58 am
Just Joined

thats great thank you, will have a look at all of those points. How is the weather in Abruzzo at the moment ?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

My husband and brother are really into road cycling and travel quite a bit to different destinations each summer to try and find some of the biggest and best rides. I know that the grand sasso is very popular due to the Giro but there doesn't appear to be alot else where in Abruzzo
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

The weather here at the moment is very pleasant, it’s one of our favourite times of the year here. Looking at Palmoli cycling will be very interesting! It’s high (over 700m in parts) and I would imagine interesting for horses too, is there any particular reason for your choice? There are plus points and minus points for any of the areas here in Abruzzo (as is the case for most places). Earthquakes happen throughout Italy, but there are maps of historic events and risk assessments. Basically it does not go by region or north or south. If you look at the mapping, it’s the nearer the mountains the higher risk, Palmoli is down as a 2, I’ve only spotted 1,2 and 3 so far, with 1 being higher risk. Water is another factor you need to look at, especially with the horses. Roads and access in winter and/or heavy rain are another, along with very heavy thunder and more importantly lightening frequently. The weather is the plus point, as is the fine produce and friendly people. After being to many places in Italy we thought Abruzzo was a bit of a shock when we first arrived, poor in comparison to some areas. It was like something from the sixties or seventies that had never moved on. However it was cheap compared to other areas of Italy to buy … So we came and we bought and have to repeat we love it! Someone said recently it is very difficult to describe that inner feeling about a place, granted we have felt this wherever we have been in Italy. However you always have to have plan “B” (and “C” to “Z” really) just in case it’s not for you or things do not go to plan. If you have no commitments, can afford to lose what you are prepared to put into it and have that plan “B” keep going!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi, there was no particular reason other than we had seen a house there for reasonable money which ticked all of the boxes, and as we dont know the area very well thought it would be a good place to start looking, but by all accounts there is nothing there but very close to the coast a, about 25 mins to Vasto.

Do you know the area very well ?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

We looked around the Chieti area in general before we bought in Teramo and have been down that way a few times since. In particular there were a number of houses for sale in nearby Carunchio and they were very cheap. There is invariably a reason places are cheap here, hill top towns with small population and not too good access are not at the top of the list for Italians. It's well worth doing a google virtual tour using street view whereby you can almost drive down the roads and see what condition they are in and think what they would be like in winter. You are doing the right thing coming to see for yourself, but like I say have plan "B" , perhaps to look around, nearer the coast is much lower/flatter.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
We looked around the Chieti area in general before we bought in Teramo and have been down that way a few times since. In particular there were a number of houses for sale in nearby Carunchio and they were very cheap. There is invariably a reason places are cheap here, hill top towns with small population and not too good access are not at the top of the list for Italians. It's well worth doing a google virtual tour using street view whereby you can almost drive down the roads and see what condition they are in and think what they would be like in winter. You are doing the right thing coming to see for yourself, but like I say have plan "B" , perhaps to look around, nearer the coast is much lower/flatter.
Thats a very good idea, I like the sound of having a plan B and closer to the
coast.

I suppose a good drive round and having a chat with people like yourselves will give us a good idea of what its like.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:42 am
Just Joined

italyprogetti is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, after much deliberation my husband and I have decided to move to Abruzzo to try and relieve ourselves of the stressful jobs we have in the UK.

The house that we would be purchasing is a run down farm house that needs everything doing, it would be great if we could hear from those people who have renovated property and how they have found the process.

I work in the property industry and my husband is a registered Gas Safe engineer and plumber.

are there any good English plumbers out there servicing the expat community ? (sounds completely wrong but im sure you get the gist)

It would interesting to hear how other people have found the move over and setting up a new home in Abruzzo.

and would be great to know if it has changed peoples lives for the better ?
Hi there.

Congratulations on the purchase.

We made the move in 2012 but a lot further south. I've been renovating our property for the last 4 years on and off. Tear up the UK knowledge of what you know about property renovation. It is a whole different process. I would call myself resilient but it has been a trying experience. I've got no regrets and hope to be completed this year, fingers crossed.

I currently work in London on building projects(hence the slow renovation in Italy), so if your anywhere in the vicinity to meet up, I can give you an idea of what to expect. Too much to put in writing.

Good luck!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by italyprogetti
Hi there.

Congratulations on the purchase.

We made the move in 2012 but a lot further south. I've been renovating our property for the last 4 years on and off. Tear up the UK knowledge of what you know about property renovation. It is a whole different process. I would call myself resilient but it has been a trying experience. I've got no regrets and hope to be completed this year, fingers crossed.

I currently work in London on building projects(hence the slow renovation in Italy), so if your anywhere in the vicinity to meet up, I can give you an idea of what to expect. Too much to put in writing.

Good luck!
Hello thank you for the info, we haven't yet made the commitment of buying a property but are just about to start our search with our first property viewing next Monday. Where abouts is the property that you are renovating ?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Hello thank you for the info,
we haven't yet made the commitment of buying a property
but are just about to start our search with our first property viewing next Monday. Where abouts is the property that you are renovating ?
Most wise. The place you said you were looking at is 711 masl, that's rather high up and you would get ALL (or mostly all) of the snow. We are at 485 m asl and get lots. In retrospect we should have gone further down from the hills but hey-ho we all make silly mistakes. Good luck in your search and NEVER offer the asking price. Although it's Spring the weather is very variable. This morning the wind was howling, lunchtime had to change into cool clothes, now at 2,30 it's grey overcast and extra clothing needed. Tomorrow will be wet and windy!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pica, thats a very good point, we hadn't realized how high up it was until one of the members had pointed it out, im not a huge fan of the snow to say the least and would prefer to have a warmer climate. This is the first property search we will be doing so we are going to try and have a good look round whilst we are there to get a good idea of the area. Do any of the forum members have property in the far south of abbruzzo ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.