Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

A month in Italy in June

A month in Italy in June

Old Nov 12th 2018, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute
Default A month in Italy in June

Hi forum,

As Italy is one of my favourite countries, I am planning on spending a whole month there in June 2019. Originally, I planned on studying the language there for a month at a university, but unfortunately my travel dates don't quite work with the time of year that the courses are offered. So now, I am just looking for a nice place to stay. The problem, and believe me it is a good one, is that I am having trouble picking a place. I will be presenting at a conference in Milan in early June and after that, I can stay up to a month in Italy before flying to Edinburgh for another conference. So, I ask you, if you had a month in Italy, where would you go for an amazing holiday?

I have been to Rome, Venice, Milan, Cinque Terre/Lerici, Parma, Piza, Positano/Minori. There are obviously plenty of places I haven't been to and would love some ideas. I am looking for a place where there is plenty to do in terms of sightseeing, not a big city like Rome, good proximity to an airport and safe for a female traveling alone. I plan to book something via Airbnb. I will spend my days just enjoying the city I am in, taking day trips and doing a bit of writing. Your recommendations will be most gratefully received. PS - I love food and wine as well as sightseeing (so a great place to visit for sure!).

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A month in Italy in June

Without a doubt Palermo. Sicily is different to the rest of Italy and Palermo is different to the rest of Sicily from the Norman/arabic architecture of Mon Reale to the street food of La Vucciria and the market of Ballaro it really is an amazing place. I have been leading tours for seven years and I strongly recommend it. From there it is an easy train ride to the beach at Cefalu.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid
Without a doubt Palermo. Sicily is different to the rest of Italy and Palermo is different to the rest of Sicily from the Norman/arabic architecture of Mon Reale to the street food of La Vucciria and the market of Ballaro it really is an amazing place. I have been leading tours for seven years and I strongly recommend it. From there it is an easy train ride to the beach at Cefalu.
HI there,

Thank you for your response. Palermo comes up a lot in my Airbnb search. I don't know anything about it, but will search more now with your suggestion. Thank you
Old Nov 12th 2018, 10:43 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Siena worth a look
Old Nov 12th 2018, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Siena worth a look
Thanks so much. It's in a good location for my purposes. I will do some research, thank you
Old Nov 12th 2018, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

Napoli. Or Matera is European capital of culture for 2019

Last edited by Accetturese; Nov 12th 2018 at 7:12 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Accetturese
Napoli. Or Matera is European capital of culture for 2019
Thanks so much. Napoli might be a bit too big, but I will check out Matera.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Mincepie is a jewel in the roughMincepie is a jewel in the roughMincepie is a jewel in the roughMincepie is a jewel in the rough

Hi there, I'd suggest Verona as a base, with day trips to Lake Garda, walking on Monte Baldo, wine based exploration and tasting with Bardolino, Valpolicella and Amarone. With perhaps some extra day trips to Rovereto (Contemporary Art and Dinosaur footprints!), Trento and the mountains.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mincepie
Hi there, I'd suggest Verona as a base, with day trips to Lake Garda, walking on Monte Baldo, wine based exploration and tasting with Bardolino, Valpolicella and Amarone. With perhaps some extra day trips to Rovereto (Contemporary Art and Dinosaur footprints!), Trento and the mountains.
Wow, thanks! I've never been to Verona (Venice many times, but not Verona). I also have not been to Lake Garda or any of the other places you've listed. I think Verona has an airport as well, so that might work! Thanks again.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of sightseeing? Buildings, towns or countryside, or seaside or....?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of sightseeing have you in mind? Town / buildings, countryside / views, seaside or lakes, or...?
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsTeapot
What sort of sightseeing have you in mind? Town / buildings, countryside / views, seaside or lakes, or...?
I know it doesn't help, but I am open really. For example, I LOVED Padova last summer as it was just the right size and had plenty of shops and things to see. I don't see myself taking drives, so the countryside is not important. Lakes may not be either if not close to public transport. So, I guess towns instead of cities and definitely buildings/statues/cathedrals.

Thanks
Old Nov 14th 2018, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the little town of Vico Equense, balanced on the cliffs between Pompei and the Sorrento Peninsula. Good public transport, a myriad of hamlets and mountains to walk and explore. All the famous places within easy reach.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ononno
Have a look at the little town of Vico Equense, balanced on the cliffs between Pompei and the Sorrento Peninsula. Good public transport, a myriad of hamlets and mountains to walk and explore. All the famous places within easy reach.
Thank you Sounds perfect! I'll take a look.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:32 pm
DDP
Just Joined

DDP is an unknown quantity at this point

Anywhere in Italy is wonderful, but I loved Ascoli Piceno in Le Marche, and Lucca in Northern Tuscany. Both are small towns with lovely friendly people, lots to see and do, wonderful food and wine. AP is a bit more difficult to get to without a car,take the train down the coast. I flew into Ancona and took the train to AP which took 3 hours, but very good value for money as are all trains in Italy. Public transport is not so good, so to really explore you would probably need a car. Lucca is much easier to get to, and the public transport is very good. The walk around (on top of) the city walls is wonderful, there is a great Botanic garden and Puccini recitals in a church every evening which is very atmospheric. There was always something going on in both places when I was there this year. Highly recommended. Wherever you go I'm very jealous! I would love to be able to spend a month in italy! Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.