Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Mental Health for Children

Mental Health for Children

Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health for Children

you also said ..................

"Now that this thread has been diverted from my valid question to arguing the pro's and con's of holiday home or not..."

but let's not carry this into a question of "I said - you said"

It IS indeed nice not to be accused of being angry ( er ..... not very happy) as it WOULD have been just as nice for myself not to be accused or having issues with other members here or have people make bald statements about my life of which they know absolutely nothing !

The feeling of needing to defend oneself is not particularly nice either is it Mrs Teapot ?

I repeat that I have no issues and no time limits with anything written on this forum and if I were so guilty, I would no doubt have read some humuorous posts from other people and not just a singularly unguarded comment by somebody who needs to let the tea stew a little before commenting.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:05 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes find it strange when people come on with a question and then don't return - valid reason in this case, as the OP is away. But I quite often see posts that the OP never comes back to! I guess they find their answer elsewhere, but common courtesy says you should tell the people who have replied to your post. I also realise some people don't go on the net everyday - however, these people MUST be in the minority in this day and age! I only have one friend here who doesn't go on the net at least once a day and that is because she won't get broadband as she fears her OH would gamble on-line, so a valid reason not to. Having said that we are a 4 PC household, 3 laptops and an i-mac, plus internet phones and i-pods, so maybe we are an exception!

My internet use is nothing to do with lack of things to do in my life - far from it. But when you have a husband/partner who is away most of the time and a 4 year old unless you can afford a posse of carers, what else are you supposed to do once they have gone to bed? Yes, I read, watch TV and do other things but I enjoy keeping in touch through the net.

Anyway sorry for off topic and hope the other info on here was useful to the original poster!!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:21 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I sometimes find it strange when people come on with a question and then don't return - valid reason in this case, as the OP is away. But I quite often see posts that the OP never comes back to! I guess they find their answer elsewhere, but common courtesy says you should tell the people who have replied to your post. I also realise some people don't go on the net everyday - however, these people MUST be in the minority in this day and age! I only have one friend here who doesn't go on the net at least once a day and that is because she won't get broadband as she fears her OH would gamble on-line, so a valid reason not to. Having said that we are a 4 PC household, 3 laptops and an i-mac, plus internet phones and i-pods, so maybe we are an exception!

My internet use is nothing to do with lack of things to do in my life - far from it. But when you have a husband/partner who is away most of the time and a 4 year old unless you can afford a posse of carers, what else are you supposed to do once they have gone to bed? Yes, I read, watch TV and do other things but I enjoy keeping in touch through the net.

Anyway sorry for off topic and hope the other info on here was useful to the original poster!!
GREAT - THANKS
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

richeller is an unknown quantity at this point

oops, sorry I seem to have started something by not replying so quickly. I have been in France with my son to see some doctors there. (and my computer needs a doctor desperately and has crashed!!!!.)
Thanks for all replies. My son was originally diagnosed with ADD/ADHD about 5 years ago and we have up to this stage not put him on medication. I am not really a "medicator", but now am at a point where I want to make HIS life easier. He has now been diagnosed with Bipolar, and upon reading up on it have found that many bipolar sufferers are first , rightly or wrongly, diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. We have done speech therapy/occupational therapy etc in Australia. I just really wanted to know if there was a trend in Italy to fix all with a pill!!!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know about special needs in Italy. However, have you looked up the Danda website? Very good info for ADD and other overlapping symptoms. I appreciate now you are told its not ADD but Bipolar, but they might well be worth getting in contact with.

Also have you tried finding forums for parents of other SEN children in the UK? They could tell you first hand about medication pro's and con's and you never know, they might know someone in Italy with similar probs.

Seems you might have to do a bit more net surfing.

Wishing you luck in your quest.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mrs Teapot............ I will have a look at those websites, I have not heard of them before.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:03 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

If your son has now been diagnosed as bi-polar that really is a different kettle of fish and don't see how you can get around using medication. Isn't it a chemical imbalance that causes the dramatic mood swings?

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how the press spin it, Britney Spears has just been, allegedly, diagnosed as bi-polar. This could heighten awareness in a positive way with any luck!

I hope whatever solution you find it works for both you and your son, and in turn makes both your lives better.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

I did not know about Britney Spears........... yes maybe that will raise awareness but maybe it will turn it into the 'new' illness of the minute. I have spoken to some people who have not medicated with bi polar, they just manage it............. how well, I am not sure. I can cope with my son's hyperactive phase (mania) but when he hits low, it's hard on him, physically and emotionally. We have, since my original post, decided to trial medication, so fingers crossed. Cheers