Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Man-Bags....Practical or Gay ?

Man-Bags....Practical or Gay ?

Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Man-Bags....Practical or Gay ?

Originally Posted by duffer
Yeah I agree, you would look like a prat with a bumbag or marsupio. I have a friend who dresses quite smartly but then he wears one of those around his waist, it looks ridiculous! If you're not sure about a manbag, then get something bigger like a messenger bag. Like Modicasa posted, it's not so much the manbag but everything else that goes with it, that would make you stand out as an Elton John or as a Tom Cruise. Oh hang on...
Messenger bags are cool for work (I got mine at M&S) but you'd hardly go out for a pizza with one ... .c'mon Duffer, you're the metrosexual one around here...
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:57 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Pizza night is Sunday. What are you doing tonight? I have a treat for you.

BTW I picked up my manbag dirt cheap, instead of 250 Euro retail I got it for about 45 Euro. It's premium grade black leather by Giorgio Armani. There's an Armani outlet just 5 minutes from where I live, currently they have nice messenger bags by Emporio Armani and manbags by Armani Jeans.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Pizza night is Sunday. What are you doing tonight? I have a treat for you.

BTW I picked up my manbag dirt cheap, instead of 250 Euro retail I got it for about 45 Euro. It's premium grade black leather by Giorgio Armani. There's an Armani outlet just 5 minutes from where I live, currently they have nice messenger bags by Emporio Armani and manbags by Armani Jeans.
Like I said.... our resident metrosexual.

Tonight? erm .... probably busy.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

have a bag bought to carry my camera, also takes my Collins Spanish dictionary, earphones for the mobile (which is clipped to my waist) and the Jabra bluetooth usually ends up in there as well. adjustable so can carry in hand, hang over the shoulder or as a bandolier.

this is a new thing so don't trust them and have the door and car keys on a heavy duty clip that goes on the waist band

have had the wallet in my back pocket for very nearly 50 years and if its not there feel uncomfortable all day. And before the comments, yes it has been out once or twice, the moths get fed every week

feel it is practical, around here similar bags are used by the local lottery sellers.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:17 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Is the dictionary essential? I thought man bags were for just for the things you couldn't fit into the pockets, i.e. wallet, phone and keys?
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Caccicoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to jump in here. I am finding this thread rather offensive. What does a gay man ( or woman for that matter) look like? If you got to know very many gay men or women you would find that their gender expression varies as widely as it does for straight men or women. And if there really was a gay look, why would it be a bad thing to look that way? I am not trying to invite flames here, but I work with queer youth and am the mother of a queer daughter and I know how damaging a conversation like this, despite the completely innocent intensions, can be.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:14 pm
Pull my finger

The OP was of the opinion that only gay men used man bags. Hence this thread to gather the opinions of others.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:14 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caccicoo
I have to jump in here. I am finding this thread rather offensive. What does a gay man ( or woman for that matter) look like? If you got to know very many gay men or women you would find that their gender expression varies as widely as it does for straight men or women. And if there really was a gay look, why would it be a bad thing to look that way? I am not trying to invite flames here, but I work with queer youth and am the mother of a queer daughter and I know how damaging a conversation like this, despite the completely innocent intensions, can be.
nowadays I don't think the Q word is allowed - you should know better

to me it is about looks, if you have a number (and they are growing) of things that are necessary to daily life then you will find you are running of pockets to put them in. Also, it makes the pockets bulge and things can fall out.
in hot climates where thin clothes and also shorts are the order of the day then either you leave everything at home and be contactless or you find a way round the problem. A man bag is a way round the problem. Find me another work round and I will consider it, although at the moment I am finding my bag is a little bit small at times.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:20 pm

Is the dictionary essential? I thought man bags were for just for the things you couldn't fit into the pockets, i.e. wallet, phone and keys?
hablo espanol un poquito!!

I see or hear a new word in Spanish every day so it is much thumbed, you may be right though, but came in handy for an exchange of words when I went for a haircut this week.

perhaps I need to go electronic for the dictionary - but which pocket do I store it in ??
will it be as convenient as showing the word in the dictionary ???
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:25 pm
Pull my finger

Get a smart phone man! Download a dictionary app. Get rid of paper dictionary.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Caccicoo
You seem to have more experience than the rest of us so maybe you can answer the question that the original poster raised.

Does a man bag make someone look gay:
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Domino
nowadays I don't think the Q word is allowed - you should know better
Actually, queer is a word that has been reclaimed by the LGBTQ community (where I live we use the term Qmmunity). There are some older LGBTQ folks who still find the term offensive only because of the way homophobic straight folks used it with them in the past. It is much like the way the lesbian community has reclaimed the word "dyke". The nice thing about using the word queer is that it encompasses all of the members of the LGBTQ community. I personally do not fall under the heading "gay" or "lesbian" but I most definitely associate with the term queer. There are many variations on the spectrum of sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression and the term "gay" does not cover even a small portion of the spectrum (which includes, of course, straight).
Old Jul 8th 2012, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
You seem to have more experience than the rest of us so maybe you can answer the question that the original poster raised.

Does a man bag make someone look gay:
No, a man bag does not make a man look gay since there are so many variations of gender expression for gay men, that you cannot say that a man looks "gay" without stereotyping a small group of gay men as being representative of all gay men. Think about it this way. Would you say that all Englishmen can be represented by the looks and actions of football hooligans? Of course not. Englishmen come in all shapes, sizes, and looks (as do football hooligans, I suspect, having never met one). Why would it be different for gay men? A more reasonable question would be, "Does carrying a man bag make a man look effeminate?" And then the following question would be "If it does make a man look effeminate, why would that be a bad thing?"

I apologize for my soapbox and hope I did not offend anyone. Part of my work involves giving workshops to educators on the issues faced by LGBTQ youth so I sometimes jump in where others might not.

Diane
Old Jul 8th 2012, 9:05 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little bit of info from Spain, the word for bumbag in Spanish is mariconera, Maricon being roughly tranlsated into "pufter".

So a mariconera is a gay bag.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

SirTK is on a distinguished road

Gayissimo.

When I travel by air I carry a Titleist practice ball bag (naturally I have no other use for it) as my hand baggage. Unless I also have my laptop, in which case Callaway's latest shoe bag is better.

Much more butch.

TK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.