Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Making friends with women in Italy

Making friends with women in Italy

Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future
Default Re: Making friends with women in Italy

Originally Posted by Cashmere Kate
There's no way I'm letting my MIL get her hands on my pants!!
She came to stay when the baby was tiny at a time when I was having to keep washing my nighties because they were covered in milk. I then noticed I was quickly running out of things to wear to bed because although I'd put them in the washer and hung them out to dry, they'd all mysteriously disappeared after that. Turned out MIL was hoarding them in a cupboard until there were enough of them to iron!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Cashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really nice

On the subject of pants...many years ago, while I was staying with the in-laws, my MIL came up to me waving a skimpy G-string, saying "This was in the washing, it must be yours". I assured her that it wasn't mine and that it must be my sister-in-law's but but she kept insisting it was and that my SIL doesn't wear that kind of skimpy garment. It later mysteriously appeared in my bag! Still have no idea where it came from!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyjt is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, the old Italian MIL: always watching you slyly out of one eye, just in case she can 'help' you and teach you about domestic life in some way- which, if yours is like mine, is 24-7-365. Thank GOD she lives south. I am already dreading telling her I'm knocked up, I reckon she'll put me on immediate bedrest and make me wear socks in the house when it's ten million degrees in Sicily. Where we're going to spend 2 weeks with them on Sat.

Oh god, just shoot me. At least I'm so bone tired that I'll be able to sleep through most of our visit.

(Sorry, cranky pregnant woman rant- over now).
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sunnyjt
Oh, the old Italian MIL: always watching you slyly out of one eye, just in case she can 'help' you and teach you about domestic life in some way- which, if yours is like mine, is 24-7-365. Thank GOD she lives south. I am already dreading telling her I'm knocked up, I reckon she'll put me on immediate bedrest and make me wear socks in the house when it's ten million degrees in Sicily. Where we're going to spend 2 weeks with them on Sat.

Oh god, just shoot me. At least I'm so bone tired that I'll be able to sleep through most of our visit.

(Sorry, cranky pregnant woman rant- over now).
Go equipped with some of those plastic slipper things and you'll be let off the socks!
I had to travel by train from Modena to Swansea when pregnant due to the volcano in Iceland stopping my flight. My MIL told me I was going to die!

Fortunately she lives in the South too...
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyjt is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, totally get the 'if you do that, you'll kill the baby'. Like going for a jog. An Aunt told me if I was ever to get pregnant I'd have to stop the gym ASAP because I'd rip out the placenta.

Now I am pregnant AND I have a Dr, and guess what homegirl? I CAN STILL WORKOUT.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough

Hi Finnalex,

Where abouts are you moving to?

Weve lived in Le Marche for about a year and my missus is looking for a better social life.
We've a 17 month old son too.

Thanks

Nigel