Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

maiden name vs married name in Italy

maiden name vs married name in Italy

Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Jane in Rome is an unknown quantity at this point
Question maiden name vs married name in Italy

After 15 years of successfully maneuvering Italian bureaucracy....we have recently moved to Rome and the Municipio won't issue my carta identita in my maiden name (which was originally issued in my maiden name in another town, another region) because my passport and permesso papers are in my married name. I have consulate notarized documents with a copy of my mariage certificate attesting to the fact that I am the same person. My codice fiscale is in my maiden name, property has been bought and sold in my maiden name, bank accounts are in my maiden name....since it was always required of me previously.....now I am being told all this was "wrong" and I have a kind of dilemma on my hands.....any suggestions? We have recently purchased our apartment here....and my ownership is in my maiden name.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

ginty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: maiden name vs married name in Italy

Originally Posted by Jane in Rome
After 15 years of successfully maneuvering Italian bureaucracy....we have recently moved to Rome and the Municipio won't issue my carta identita in my maiden name (which was originally issued in my maiden name in another town, another region) because my passport and permesso papers are in my married name. I have consulate notarized documents with a copy of my mariage certificate attesting to the fact that I am the same person. My codice fiscale is in my maiden name, property has been bought and sold in my maiden name, bank accounts are in my maiden name....since it was always required of me previously.....now I am being told all this was "wrong" and I have a kind of dilemma on my hands.....any suggestions? We have recently purchased our apartment here....and my ownership is in my maiden name.
Hi Jane
Oh my God! Sounds dreadful! Can't really help you sorry. My husband and I bought a property in the South last year and I had to use my maiden name for everything too! Codice fiscale, signing documents when buying the house etc, etc. Not living there just yet so haven't had to apply for residency and identity card yet. Just hope the laws haven't changed in our region since last year! Hope you get it all sorted! Keep me posted please! Can't believe that there are SO many different rules and laws in the SAME country!