Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

looking at moving next year any help please??

Wikiposts

looking at moving next year any help please??

Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

tomdidutton is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: looking at moving next year any help please??

Originally Posted by modicasa
I agree with ononno, Cava di Tirreni e Vico Equense are very different to where you were thinking of - but of course you will be paying seaside prices.
But it depends on what you want - ultimately - quality of life or money - because its very difficult having both! You can be poor but happy in the south!
Its very difficult finding a place to rent if you are not on the ground, above all around Naples - where everything is advertised in the printed press. Your only option is to try an agency, but my advice would be for one of you to come out and find somewhere before bringing the family out. But before that, you need to decide on an area - and be specific or you'll spend months umming and ahhing... Theres nothing to stop you starting in the middle and moving further south after a couple of years when you've got the gist of it...
Your right. Dianne said last night we should come over to italy for a good few weeks and travel about speak to people about jobs houaing local life etc plus the advice off you guys is immense feel very welcomed and its great how people offer advice on things id never think of so once again cheers
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: looking at moving next year any help please??

Originally Posted by ononno
Abruzzo winter weather would make Cumbria look like a Pacific island! In fact that is true of all the Easterly regions of Italy; Puglia, Molise, Abruzzo, Marche, Emilai Romagna coastal, Veneto coastal. Take a good look at a map of Europe and you will realise just how far East most of Italy is, under the influence of the Balkans and Siberian winds in the winter. Abruzzo is a beautiful region, very mountainous, so you'd fel at home. The Marche a bit further North are well worth considering. What about Umbria - some say the real heart of Italy, as opposed to Tuscany.
Don't discard totally Rome's hinterland smaller towns and villages; probably better opportunities for work and education there than lots of other areas; and reasonable housing at a reasonable cost. Plus of course 2 big airports to choose from. A bit more research, and best of luck. :-)
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Ive looked and i can imagine it being a bit fresh outside as we northerners say. I always assumed areas around Roma would be expensive as in comparison to south east england with London etc? We have to look alot deeper and im surr alot of headaches to follow but will be worth it in the end.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Tom,

I've been wanting to move out for years - nearly did it, but other half wary re lack of employment, so I keep up keep up with the pros and cons of moving and the state of play as best I can as I will end up there one day. Pay heed to what people are saying about lack of jobs. The youth are leaving in their droves as they have nothing to look forward to/to plan for - only the lucky few get a job and even then if they do its poorly paid, with poor conditions or they even have to wait months for their pay at a time (same for adults). So your children might grow up in a fantastic way of life but will probably want to leave the country when old enough to work.

If I were you I'd try and secure a job first. How about working for an English company who send employees out to work in Italy? If you sign up to Indeed dot co dot uk and put Italy in one search and Italian in another there are many jobs that come up. It might even focus you to retrain in a particular field or change your line of work in the UK over the next couple of years so you can then slide easily into working in Italy. There are many jobs that come up through the Indeed site.

Also do the same on a search engine in general (several agencies etc will come up) and also if you are not on Twitter there are a few jobs posted on there - but you need to search and follow the correct ones. But also you can follow others who have moved to Italy and read their blogs about living/working there.

Learn Italian ASAP - there was a polyglot on twitter who said if he does 20 mins 3 times a day (or similar - I forget the exact amount) and he learns a language quickly.

Has anyone mentioned the cost of electricity in Italy? Its a lot.

Good luck. Keep searching.

Last edited by MrsTeapot; Sep 27th 2014 at 1:29 am.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsTeapot
Tom,

I've been wanting to move out for years - nearly did it, but other half wary re lack of employment, so I keep up keep up with the pros and cons of moving and the state of play as best I can as I will end up there one day. Pay heed to what people are saying about lack of jobs. The youth are leaving in their droves as they have nothing to look forward to/to plan for - only the lucky few get a job and even then if they do its poorly paid, with poor conditions or they even have to wait months for their pay at a time (same for adults). So your children might grow up in a fantastic way of life but will probably want to leave the country when old enough to work.

If I were you I'd try and secure a job first. How about working for an English company who send employees out to work in Italy? If you sign up to Indeed dot co dot uk and put Italy in one search and Italian in another there are many jobs that come up. It might even focus you to retrain in a particular field or change your line of work in the UK over the next couple of years so you can then slide easily into working in Italy. There are many jobs that come up through the Indeed site.

Also do the same on a search engine in general (several agencies etc will come up) and also if you are not on Twitter there are a few jobs posted on there - but you need to search and follow the correct ones. But also you can follow others who have moved to Italy and read their blogs about living/working there.

Learn Italian ASAP - there was a polyglot on twitter who said if he does 20 mins 3 times a day (or similar - I forget the exact amount) and he learns a language quickly.

Has anyone mentioned the cost of electricity in Italy? Its a lot.

Good luck. Keep searching.
What a coincidence Mrs. Teapot. And O.P. take note. I use indeed. co.uk to suss out jobs in the U.K. for my 19 year old granddaughter. Born & bred in Italy, just finished high school with a great diploma in English, Italian, Spanish & French. No prospects here, can't get away fast enough.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

What a coincidence Mrs. Teapot. And O.P. take note. I use indeed. co.uk to suss out jobs in the U.K. for my 19 year old granddaughter. Born & bred in Italy, just finished high school with a great diploma in English, Italian, Spanish & French. No prospects here, can't get away fast enough.
Where abouts in italy are you?
Can you give any pointers on where to look for jobs online newspaper etc please.
and also whats a good way to get our italian upto a good standard please?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough

I know the Sigonella Air Base near Catania takes on english speaking personnel.
Worth a try as you are ex RNhttp://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnreurafswa/installations/nas_sigonella/about/jobs/mwr_jobs.html
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: looking at moving next year any help please??

Originally Posted by DesiderataSicilia
I know the Sigonella Air Base near Catania takes on english speaking personnel.
Worth a try as you are ex RNhttp://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnreurafswa/installations/nas_sigonella/about/jobs/mwr_jobs.html
Hi thanks I'll look at that now
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomdidutton
Where abouts in italy are you?
Can you give any pointers on where to look for jobs online newspaper etc please.
and also whats a good way to get our italian upto a good standard please?
I'm unsure if you are replying to me or Onnono (sp) but please take note in what I'm saying about using Indeed as I've seen tons of jobs in Italy on there.

Regarding learning Italian, I'm still learning as I'm still in the UK but I found the fastest way for me was to start with Earworms CDs (read the reviews on amazon - they are true). They now have 3 levels. Its instantly memborable and you can mix and match the sentences. Helps with pronounciation brilliantly and more so if you are aiming for the South.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Ah that's a shame for her but great you have sussed this out for her. Its a great resource. But also has many jobs in Italy for UK employers so worth looking at that too if she is interested.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsTeapot
I'm unsure if you are replying to me or Onnono (sp) but please take note in what I'm saying about using Indeed as I've seen tons of jobs in Italy on there.

Regarding learning Italian, I'm still learning as I'm still in the UK but I found the fastest way for me was to start with Earworms CDs (read the reviews on amazon - they are true). They now have 3 levels. Its instantly memborable and you can mix and match the sentences. Helps with pronounciation brilliantly and more so if you are aiming for the South.
Hi i am on indeed seen a few jobs in the north we decided to go over in jan/feb next year and have a good look round and see if can find jobs or at least try and build up network of contacts both prior to arriving and when there. We also looking more at central Italy as better air connection with Liverpool as my family are 20 mins from john Lennon airport. Plus seems maybe better employment opportunities than the south so its a compromise. Ill ask di to look on amazon as she is the expert at online shopping. Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2014, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Abruzzo winter weather would make Cumbria look like a Pacific island! In fact that is true of all the Easterly regions of Italy; Puglia, Molise, Abruzzo, Marche, Emilai Romagna coastal, Veneto coastal. Take a good look at a map of Europe and you will realise just how far East most of Italy is, under the influence of the Balkans and Siberian winds in the winter. Abruzzo is a beautiful region, very mountainous, so you'd fel at home. The Marche a bit further North are well worth considering. What about Umbria - some say the real heart of Italy, as opposed to Tuscany.
Don't discard totally Rome's hinterland smaller towns and villages; probably better opportunities for work and education there than lots of other areas; and reasonable housing at a reasonable cost. Plus of course 2 big airports to choose from. A bit more research, and best of luck. :-)
Puglia cold in winter? We joke and say it is cold when it is 15C in winter because we have now got used to the 35C+ (more 40C) in the summer. We average 19C without heating in our house during the day for best part of the winter and we use heating mainly in the evening, but we do have decent insulation.

For the original poster if looking at the south then Puglia might be an option although still hard to get a job but with your mechanical engineering background you could try approaching some of the aviation industries based here in Puglia.

Boeing in Grottaglie
Alenia Aermacchi they do parts for Boeing they have a place in Grottaglie and foggia (I would stay clear of Foggia)
Agustawestland in Brindisi which is not far from Grottaglie
Blackshape in Monopoli (Bari area)

Send them a letter and CV the worst they can say is no thank you. If you do get somewhere with any of the above especially Boeing or Alenia in Grottaglie avoid places to live after Grottaglie going towards Taranto

There is also an international school in Brindisi (mainly used by Boeing employees)
Old Sep 27th 2014, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clint
Puglia cold in winter? We joke and say it is cold when it is 15C in winter because we have now got used to the 35C+ (more 40C) in the summer. We average 19C without heating in our house during the day for best part of the winter and we use heating mainly in the evening, but we do have decent insulation.

For the original poster if looking at the south then Puglia might be an option although still hard to get a job but with your mechanical engineering background you could try approaching some of the aviation industries based here in Puglia.

Boeing in Grottaglie
Alenia Aermacchi they do parts for Boeing they have a place in Grottaglie and foggia (I would stay clear of Foggia)
Agustawestland in Brindisi which is not far from Grottaglie
Blackshape in Monopoli (Bari area)

Send them a letter and CV the worst they can say is no thank you. If you do get somewhere with any of the above especially Boeing or Alenia in Grottaglie avoid places to live after Grottaglie going towards Taranto

There is also an international school in Brindisi (mainly used by Boeing employees)
Clint thanks for that id imagine Boeing and the other companies would be quite good to work for. How are the airports for connection to Manchester or Liverpool? Also whats the average price to rent a house per month? And are they readily available?
Thanks again Tom
Old Sep 27th 2014, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by tomdidutton

Clint thanks for that id imagine Boeing and the other companies would be quite good to work for. How are the airports for connection to Manchester or Liverpool? Also whats the average price to rent a house per month? And are they readily available?
Thanks again Tom
From Brindisi airport the only direct flight to UK is via Ryanhell to Stansted. Brindisi airport is about 40minutes from Grottaglie. Bari airport (about 1hr from Brindisi) has flights to UK via BA or Easyjet but I think they fly to the London area

Rental you are probably looking at 300/500€ a month for a non holiday rental in our area that is 15 minutes from Brindisi airport and about 30 minutes from Grottaglie

My advice though is try to get a job lined up before you move because jobs are not easy to find

Last edited by clint; Sep 27th 2014 at 9:00 am.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clint
From Brindisi airport the only direct flight to UK is via Ryanhell to Stansted. Brindisi airport is about 40minutes from Grottaglie. Bari airport (about 1hr from Brindisi) has flights to UK via BA or Easyjet but I think they fly to the London area

Rental you are probably looking at 300/500€ a month for a non holiday rental in our area that is 15 minutes from Brindisi airport and about 30 minutes from Grottaglie

My advice though is try to get a job lined up before you move because jobs are not easy to find
Hi I've had a look at Boeing and agustawestland and no suitable jobs today but I'll keep looking. Also look As far north as Marche we are pretty flexible as to where we move as long as we have jobs and home we happy campers.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

there are some vacancies at the UN logistics base in Brindisi if you want to take a look United Nations Logistics Base

The application form is a pain to fill in I did for an admin job but they wanted 3 languages ( I have 2 fluent ones + 2 I can just about ask for things) if you are not successful they don't write to you to say thanks no thanks but worth a try

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.