Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

looking at moving next year any help please??

Wikiposts

looking at moving next year any help please??

Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

tomdidutton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: looking at moving next year any help please??

Wow thats very interesting thank you. Just a couple of questions though if i may. How do we go about getting a rental home whilst in uk? Also the racommandati i take it that recommendation ie from a friend like me mate is after a job. Now i dont have any friends in italy yet so what could i do please?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomdidutton
Hiya is castel san Giorgio that bad? Where would you recommend as we still want to be in calabria/campania regions. Im an electro mechanical engineer so im hoping to find a decent salaried job. I appreciate your advice any help is very welcome thankyou so much
Gg.
:-) Probably worse. If you want to be within reach of the Amalfi coast, seriously consider Salerno city or Vietri sul Mare. If you need to be within reach of Amalfi coast and Naples in an 'urban' reasonably pleasant environment consider Cava dei Tirreni. As before but village environment, consider Tramonti or Pimonte. All these provide reasonably priced housing, reasonably civilized living conditions. If you need opportunities in teaching/coach driving/owner driving(NCC) transfers look at Vico Equense, Piano do Sorrento, Meta di Sorrento. Take on board everything advised by all other members so far. Good luck.
Bye Bye dicette l'inglese.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Hi ononno di and i have spoken when i got in from work and maybe amalfi and naples isnt the correct area for us so we may look north but not milan turin area do you know what Abruzzo is like? We're flexible where we go as we have no ties to any specific region. Just think the snow and cold in the north is like here in the lake district. And obviously Rome is super expensive.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks sue my phone went mental at work and sent the same message many times. Sorry
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Just one other point we need to be reasonable distance to an airport the has flights to Manchester or Liverpool as i have 2 kids from previous relationship and they will be coming out as much as possible. Thanks guys.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am afraid that raccomandati is not as raccomended by a coworker or friend, but by a local ''persona importante'', especially in the south.

Winter in Italy can be very cold, and snowy almost anywhere and at time there is more snow in the south than in the north.

Please also consider that there is not child benefit and tax credit per se, assegni familiari are a reduction in taxation only if you are in work.

The situation in Italy has changed quite drastically in recent years, and today very few people, including myself, would refer living here as '' la dolce vita''.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:28 am
Property expert

marcuzzo is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in both central Italy and Northern Italy, in the winter both can be cold, but not in comparison to the north of England! The alps aside, winters in the north are shorter than English winters, and there is generally more sun and higher temperatures than in the UK. Abruzzo is cold being mountainous, and unemployment is high, the north probably has more opportunities, not at the moment, but when things pick up they will do so first in the north. A word about the south being more Italian, Italy is a diverse country where every region has its own identity, what is more Italian is up for a long heated debate!! I live in Veneto and can say that it is very Italian here! If you like the area around Napoli, try Liguria, spectacular coastline, and in the North....
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Hi marcuzzo winters here in the lake district can be absolutely awful. We really are at a dilemma point now as we are a bit confused on what area to move to. We would be renting a home what are the prices al mese in Liguria? And if possible can you give me any tips on finding a job over there. Would it be easier to be there and get a job prior to arriving or look when we are in italy?
grazie
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi highlander thanks for the pointers too. I think we're gonna have to look further north as having a stable income is important as we are far from minted. We well especially me hate it here and ive always dreamed of living in Italy. Like i said earlier if we fail then we can look back in years and know we tried rather than stay in this horrible town and regret never sampling living there. Are you in italy at the moment?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am retired, so never had to run the gauntlet of finding a job in Italy.

It is nice to have a dream, but I think you are doing well in trying to gather as much info as you can and then some !
You have to consider your 2 young children and their welfare and it is a sad reality that a lot of young italians are leaving and moving abroad (around 50000 in 2013 ). in the past people from the south were moving north and it was quite easy.
Today is very different, I personally know 3 children of local people that have moved to Milan : an environmental engineer at the second assignment for 6 month, at euro 600 x month, a newly qualified physiologist, ''volunteering'' in a major Hospital and covering for a charity position of a woman in maternity at euro 400 a month, and an accountant on a monthly base with a salary vastly inferior to a worker filling shelves at Esselunga.

Like others said here, knowing the language is a must , and a large portion of good luck, obviously cooked the italian way !
Old Sep 26th 2014, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. Our kids are our life so their welfare is of utmost importance to us. We are trying to find as much info as possible from you guys who say how life really is. We are learning our italian as much as possible. I used to work with some guys from Venice and their English was poor so i had to learn italian quickly i have lost alot though. I think we need a mix of luck and determination we have the latter in spades just got everything crossed )
Old Sep 26th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with ononno, Cava di Tirreni e Vico Equense are very different to where you were thinking of - but of course you will be paying seaside prices.
But it depends on what you want - ultimately - quality of life or money - because its very difficult having both! You can be poor but happy in the south!
Its very difficult finding a place to rent if you are not on the ground, above all around Naples - where everything is advertised in the printed press. Your only option is to try an agency, but my advice would be for one of you to come out and find somewhere before bringing the family out. But before that, you need to decide on an area - and be specific or you'll spend months umming and ahhing... Theres nothing to stop you starting in the middle and moving further south after a couple of years when you've got the gist of it...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Our kids are our life so their welfare is of utmost importance to us. We are trying to find as much info as possible from you guys who say how life really is. We are learning our italian as much as possible. I used to work with some guys from Venice and their English was poor so i had to learn italian quickly i have lost alot though. I think we need a mix of luck and determination we have the latter in spades just got everything crossed )
Tom, could you please use the 'quote' button, bottom right of the post you are replying to as that means people will understand which poster you are thanking, and which post you are replying to. Currently, especially if two or three people have posted since your last post, it can be difficult to see just who you are answering. You will then get a post like this where people can understand better.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ononno di and i have spoken when i got in from work and maybe amalfi and naples isnt the correct area for us so we may look north but not milan turin area do you know what Abruzzo is like? We're flexible where we go as we have no ties to any specific region. Just think the snow and cold in the north is like here in the lake district. And obviously Rome is super expensive.
Abruzzo winter weather would make Cumbria look like a Pacific island! In fact that is true of all the Easterly regions of Italy; Puglia, Molise, Abruzzo, Marche, Emilai Romagna coastal, Veneto coastal. Take a good look at a map of Europe and you will realise just how far East most of Italy is, under the influence of the Balkans and Siberian winds in the winter. Abruzzo is a beautiful region, very mountainous, so you'd fel at home. The Marche a bit further North are well worth considering. What about Umbria - some say the real heart of Italy, as opposed to Tuscany.
Don't discard totally Rome's hinterland smaller towns and villages; probably better opportunities for work and education there than lots of other areas; and reasonable housing at a reasonable cost. Plus of course 2 big airports to choose from. A bit more research, and best of luck. :-)
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Tom, could you please use the 'quote' button, bottom right of the post you are replying to as that means people will understand which poster you are thanking, and which post you are replying to. Currently, especially if two or three people have posted since your last post, it can be difficult to see just who you are answering. You will then get a post like this where people can understand better.
Sorry im new to this. Also im using my phone. Ill make sure i do it in future though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.