Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

looking at moving next year any help please??

Wikiposts

looking at moving next year any help please??

Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

tomdidutton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: looking at moving next year any help please??

Thanks for that link garbatella mike its a real help.
Desiderata i also have a full pcv (bus) licence so thats always another option. We're aware the wages are less in the south we're in Cumbria here in uk and its the same here compared to other parts of uk. However, we think that the weather and lifestyle for the kids and us will be worth it. Am i right in thinking that if wages are lower then the cost of living is too?
thanks Tom
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough

Doubt if they would recognize your PSV licence .You can certainly convert your UK driving licence to an Italian one but I dont know about bus licences.Cost of living is probably a bit cheaper but not a lot.Unemployment in Campagna wil be high very high at least 30%. We are both in our 50s retired ,my partner is a civil engineer and I am a Solicitor with a 19 year old daughter and we both have pretty good pensions.There is no way we could have found employment here in Sicily as UK qualifications are just not recognised .
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

I wasnt aware that unemployment was so high there. Apart from the north as we have ruled that out straight away is there another area you would recommend? Sorry if we appear sillywe just want to ask questions before we make the move. Do you know if it would be possible to retrain in italy? We are in our 30s now so dont feel over the hill yet.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:01 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomdidutton
I wasnt aware that unemployment was so high there. Apart from the north as we have ruled that out straight away is there another area you would recommend? Sorry if we appear sillywe just want to ask questions before we make the move. Do you know if it would be possible to retrain in italy? We are in our 30s now so dont feel over the hill yet.
Italian unemployment rate is more than twice the level in the UK (with youth unemployment 16-29 year olds now above 40%).

Many people from UK come here and find work if they are determined enough but it will be tough.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

We are both very very determined to make our move succeed and have a high work ethic. Id work in a bar or coffee shop or at the dock ( ex royal navy) im looking at also airport transfer service for brits going to Amalfi or Sorento area. We're looking at it as though the worst that can happen is our life over there doesnt work and we return to the UK. Better than looking back in 30 years and wishing we had done it. May sound naive on our part but im an eternal optimist.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:09 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

We are both very very determined to make our move succeed and have a high work ethic. Id work in a bar or coffee shop or at the dock ( ex royal navy) im looking at also airport transfer service for brits going to Amalfi or Sorento area. We're looking at it as though the worst that can happen is our life over there doesnt work and we return to the UK. Better than looking back in 30 years and wishing we had done it. May sound naive on our part but im an eternal optimist.
absoulutely the right approach Tom - good on you!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you start by looking for a job in your own field anywhere in italy , perhaps with a USA or UK multinational , if your Italian is good they'd view you favourably . You'd then have a starting point with a wage . Once you are all in Italy you can look around and see how it goes ? The huge numbers of well qualified italians leaving the South to seek work , not just in the North of Italy but all over europe demostrate how tough it is . You could also consider training in the UK to teach english as a second language and look for work in that field .
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough

Sorry 30% is a bit misleading . Having just checked its 21% adult unemployment and 49% youth, under 25, unemployment which gives a gross figure of 29%.Retraining ? You would need to be able to speak, read and write Italian to a fairly high standard. No doubt someone on here will know more than I. However a young lad who is 24,a local, who does electrical work for us, has been waiting 4 years to obtain his certification as a qualified electrician as the Sicilian govt say they dont have the money to run the course.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou its just the way we are. We believe that if you want something work hard and it can be achieved. Also i dislike the typical British attitude of everyone should speak English. We're fully aware we will be tje foreigners and possibly outsiders but we will work hard and hopefully have a long and happy life in italy with the kids.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

If you have an idea to start your own business give it a go although you will need all your mental strength to tackle the bureaucracy here. Another charming aspect of life here in the South is that people regularly just dont get paid sometimes for months on end including govt workers.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Thats an option id not thought of the English teaching one id asumed that id need a teaching degree. I will look into the multi national companies too. Thanks guys your all stars
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Ive heard alot about the south and the shall we say laid back attitude to things ie paying you and getting anything done. The business is just one idea we had like i say i was thinking of csg but that seems to be a no go now due to what we been told about it. I think a visit to italy and research areas and speak to employment agencies would be beneficial. Would you guys agree?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:25 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Thats an option id not thought of the English teaching one id asumed that id need a teaching degree. I will look into the multi national companies too. Thanks guys your all stars
No teaching degree required you can do a TEFL (teaching english as a foreign language) course in a month - lots of Brit Expats start off this way and move onwards and upwards in the fullness of time. Italians are keen to be taught by mother-language English speakers.

google TEFL for more info
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Brilliant thanks for that. Would that be in schools or as a tutor type thing? Also would i need italian qualifications ie fluency etc?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:32 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Brilliant thanks for that. Would that be in schools or as a tutor type thing? Also would i need italian qualifications ie fluency etc?
No separate Italian qualification needed. You are probably talking about teaching adults in a language school or doing private lessons. TEFL is fine and sought after. OH did her TEFL with International house here in Rome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.