Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Landlord's insurance in the Uk for expats

Landlord's insurance in the Uk for expats

Old Jan 5th 2021, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Landlord's insurance in the Uk for expats

Hi,

I had an upsetting experience yesterday with the UK insurance company I have used for many years to provide landlord's insurance.

They asked me some time ago to provide a UK correspondence address before the renewal of the policy. I sent the address 3 days before the renewal, but they sent me a lapse policy document saying the information was sent too late.
I will complain after I have spoken to FCA and the the Financial Ombudsman service, but in the meantime I need to find another cover Asap.

Can someone suggest some companies please? AXA does not provide cover for landlords abroad and I am waiting on Intasure to contact me. One of the search engines came with no quotes offered?!
I suspect the company is dumping me because I had a good policy with loss of rent cover which they do not offer on any new policies. And the fact that I have never had a claim for almost 10 years does not mean anything to them.

Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlord's insurance in the Uk for expats

Would I not be correct in saying that as you live in the EU any UK service sector industry cannot insure you give you a bank account etc
Old Jan 5th 2021, 2:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
Hi,

I had an upsetting experience yesterday with the UK insurance company I have used for many years to provide landlord's insurance.

They asked me some time ago to provide a UK correspondence address before the renewal of the policy. I sent the address 3 days before the renewal, but they sent me a lapse policy document saying the information was sent too late.
I will complain after I have spoken to FCA and the the Financial Ombudsman service, but in the meantime I need to find another cover Asap.

Can someone suggest some companies please? AXA does not provide cover for landlords abroad and I am waiting on Intasure to contact me. One of the search engines came with no quotes offered?!
I suspect the company is dumping me because I had a good policy with loss of rent cover which they do not offer on any new policies. And the fact that I have never had a claim for almost 10 years does not mean anything to them.

Thanks.
I live in Australia and have two rental properties in the UK (England). Two landlord insurance companies I've used and have had a good experience with are:

The UK Insurance Net - they're insurance brokers and seemed genuinely concerned to get me the cover I wanted at the best price - as well as the usual insurances I also have rent guarantee and legal expenses insurance. The insurance company they recommended for my particular criteria was Aviva, which has been excellent when I've had to claim. This link takes you to their page on overseas landlords but have a look around the site to see if you think it meets your needs https://www.ukinsurancenet.com/landl...eas-landlords/

Another landlord insurance company I have used and have no hesitation in recommending is Alan Boswell Group, also insurance brokers. They are ethical and like the above company, will compare various insurance companies to find you the best deal https://www.alanboswell.com/landlord-insurance/

Given the amount of time I've been on British Expats it probably goes without saying that I don't have any personal or financial interest in these companies whatsoever, but I'll say it anyway. Hope the info helps you.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 2:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Would I not be correct in saying that as you live in the EU any UK service sector industry cannot insure you give you a bank account etc
They are definitely UK insurance companies that won't issue a policy to an overseas landlord, but there seems to be a fair few who do. The only advice I'd give to anyone seeking such insurance is don't try to fudge it, ie don't try to hoodwink the insurer that you're living in the UK by providing a relative's or friend's UK address. Insurance companies can and do find that sort of stuff out, and then you'd be up shite creek without a paddle or a boat! There are insurance companies that are perfectly ok with overseas landlords so there's no need to tell porkies.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

We went through a broker when we were renting our a UK home whilst living in Italy, I would reocmmend giving a few a cool. I don't believe that Brexit will mean that your sort of situation is impossible but it may make it more fiddly or less attractive for insurance companies.
Old Jan 20th 2021, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the good advice. I have sorted it with the previous lender. They did not behave correctly, so I will not give them publicity here.