Keeping U.K. Benefits

Keeping U.K. Benefits

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:36 am
Just Joined

aquasulis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keeping U.K. Benefits

Hi everyone,
I have just joined & this is my first thread.I am living permanently
in Calabria & have obtained my 'Carta D'Identita giving me official residency.
Whilst it is my intention to remain here,there is always the possibility that I
will have to return to the U.K..
Will I still get all the benefits of a U.K. citizen or do I need to return there occassionally to keep them i.e.National Health Service etc.
Gracie
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:18 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Keeping U.K. Benefits

You are not entitled to claim 'benefits' if you are living abroad for more than 8 weeks, even if you have an intention to return at some point in the future. Otherwise we would all be doing it. Clarify the 8 weeks though.
You would just need to let them know when you return back to the uk on a permanent basis so you can make a fresh claim.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:32 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the forum regarding returning to the UK on the main site - ask the question there or search it - someone will have covered it for sure!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:24 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aquasulis
Hi everyone,
I have just joined & this is my first thread.I am living permanently
in Calabria & have obtained my 'Carta D'Identita giving me official residency.
Whilst it is my intention to remain here,there is always the possibility that I
will have to return to the U.K..
Will I still get all the benefits of a U.K. citizen or do I need to return there occassionally to keep them i.e.National Health Service etc.
Gracie
Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's not the carta d'identità that gives you residency. Residency is something else but you wouldn't have been able to get a carta d'identità without it.

When I first came here it was with the idea of staying about 12 months. When I was back in England the first time for the holidays I went back to my GP and my dentist.

That was 19 years ago though and of course over the years I started to do everything here in Italy.

I'm pretty sure I've been crossed off the Doctor's books my now and anyway - my old GP and dentist have both retired and the dentist's practice is no longer a national health one.

My child needed to see a GP in England once and I filled out a non-residents form giving my dad's address as that is where we were staying and it was his doctor that we made the appointment with. I got the check-up and medication that she needed.

You won't be able to keep everything "open" and you won't get any monetary benefits but you won't get refused health care in case of any emergency whilst back in the UK.

I have been to A&E in the last couple of years with no problems and no charges.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As stated, you aren't allowed to claim normal NHS treatment when you are no longer a UK resident.

You can try and you may get away with it for a period, but if found out you will have to face the consequences which may include payment for the treatment you have received.

When in Italy you need to get the equivilent of a UK ECIC card to cover you for treatment when travelling in Europe, although as Lorna says its unlikely you will be turned away for emergency treatment.

I was charged £30 for a consultation with a doctor in the UK as I was no longer a resident there.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:00 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

That's useful to know! Still cheaper than seeing one here privately. Not worth a trip back though but would be useful for my OH.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:49 am
Just Joined

aquasulis is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to you all for the very useful info.I'm pleased that I joined this
forum.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going ahead with my purchase and residency, in order to save costs on fees and taxes........ But at the last minuite I asked for both sets of figures.....
I ended up paying an extra 400 Euros Notary and 30 Euros a year ICI (council tax)
And kept my UK residency... And it's benifits

After all thats the reason imigrants cross all the countries in europe as fast as they can to get to the UK. So being a Brit and payed in all these years I might as well get some of it back lol.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:21 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Enterprise,
And you will pay more as a non-resident for electricity although I think Gas is the same, oh and you will pay 11% purchase tax as opposed to 3% purchase tax. (Although the figures my be slightly out, but it is (or was) one helluva difference). I also thought ICI was now scrapped on a first house in Italy (Lorna will verify this I'm sure) unless you have declared it as your second home after a property in UK or elsewhere

I hate to say it, and hopefully I am woefully wrong, but having gone through the process there seem to be some severe gaps in how you believe having residency helps or doesn't when purchasing property.

Having Italian residency does not mean UK residency ends, it's the point of actually living there that qualifies you for benefits depending on which benefit it is of course, and whether you are available either for work, to train for work, or to be assessed to be suitable for work. I suspect there are other benefits where being out of the country in which they are paid doesn't matter, but I don't know and I am no expert on benefits anyway.

In reality you should complete the form on the HMRC website to declare yourself out of the country (non-resident) which has an impact on taxes and benefits available and claimable

Regards Kenny
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enterprise1999
I was going ahead with my purchase and residency, in order to save costs on fees and taxes........ But at the last minuite I asked for both sets of figures.....
I ended up paying an extra 400 Euros Notary and 30 Euros a year ICI (council tax)
And kept my UK residency... And it's benifits

After all thats the reason imigrants cross all the countries in europe as fast as they can to get to the UK. So being a Brit and payed in all these years I might as well get some of it back lol.
If you live outside of the UK and claim most UK benefits you are commiting fraud.
Only a few of the benifits you were in receipt of can be transferred to your new country.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point

All will be revield next week..... Nothings set in stone, anything can be changed.... I'll just do whats best for me lol