Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Is this just the start?

Is this just the start?

Old Oct 10th 2009, 4:40 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of
Default Is this just the start?

I don't know about where you are in Italy but, here in Abruzzo, we have a small trickle of folk going back to the U.K. Is this just the start of an exodus back to the U.K. Reason these folk are leaving, of course it's money. It has caught many people here short. The exchange rate, the lack of visitors (from U.K.), no work, and some are saying it's now cheaper to live in the U.K...So what is happening in your neck of the woods?
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this just the start?

Originally Posted by ernesto
I don't know about where you are in Italy but, here in Abruzzo, we have a small trickle of folk going back to the U.K. Is this just the start of an exodus back to the U.K. Reason these folk are leaving, of course it's money. It has caught many people here short. The exchange rate, the lack of visitors (from U.K.), no work, and some are saying it's now cheaper to live in the U.K...So what is happening in your neck of the woods?
We moved back to the UK almost a year ago. We were in Sicily and the work situation was terrible. I was devestated, I loved living there and DH had to leave his village again.
A year on and its the best decision we have ever made, we are so happy and our kids are thriving here. We still have our house there so we really have the best of both worlds. There were very few ex pats in our area and we are the only ones who have left so far.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

pansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nice

I was speaking to the pensions office this week the woman I spoke was saying they have a lot of pensioners returning as they cannot afford to live overseas any more.I reckon there will be more. Italy is very expensive just day to day living.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pansy
I was speaking to the pensions office this week the woman I spoke was saying they have a lot of pensioners returning as they cannot afford to live overseas any more.I reckon there will be more. Italy is very expensive just day to day living.
It doesn't seem that way down here for us. Hubby returned to the UK for a couple of weeks in September, and he commented on how expensive everything was there compared to here. I think with costs you win some, you loose some, for example we pay over £2000 a year in rates for our house in the UK, even though we don't live there, but with Prima Casa we don't pay anything here.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

silvietta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody. I'm Italian and it's really interesting to find out all differences between living here in Italy and there in UK... as a matter of fact, Prima Casa has cancelled the old ICI tax only for the house in which you live in, but there are some silly thing you maybe do not know. For instance, if you have also a box for your car, and you didn't buy it at the same time you did with the house (as one whole block), then you have to pay ICI on your garage, as it is not consider a "necessity" good. Mah!