Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Just another residency question...

Just another residency question...

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

SuzyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just another residency question...

My boyfriend and I have now been living in Sardinia for just over three months. we finally both have work contracts, which have been registered for social security (INPS), codice fiscales, and a rental contract for our flat.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend and I are really busy at the moment with work. Would it be a disaster (or even illegal) if we waited another month to go and apply for residency? what happens to you if you don't apply as soon as you've been here for 3 months?

Thanks!
Suzy
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Re: Just another residency question...

I applied after about 6 years.....
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuzyJ
My boyfriend and I have now been living in Sardinia for just over three months. we finally both have work contracts, which have been registered for social security (INPS), codice fiscales, and a rental contract for our flat.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend and I are really busy at the moment with work. Would it be a disaster (or even illegal) if we waited another month to go and apply for residency? what happens to you if you don't apply as soon as you've been here for 3 months?

Thanks!
Suzy
Hi,

you have Italian work contracts so in one sense you're laughing.

Surely you can't be so busy that you can't find 15 minutes to go to the Comune. Take your passport and copy of work contract and rental contract.

You don't need photos.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:19 am
Just Joined

15 minutes? I've heard tell of hours!

The problem is that I have a course starting this week which is every morning, 9.30-14.30, Monday to Saturday for 5 weeks! The anagrafe is only open in the morning so was hoping to go after my course when I'm less busy. Partner leaves for a course for 8 days in Serbia next week too!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:14 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Lorna - 15 mins, you are obviously in a very privileged position within your commune, or there are only a couple of people wanting residency where you live

I stood in line for a while and in all it took about an hour, the most frustrating thing was the guy was multi-tasking at the time, you know - having a fag, drinking coffee, chatting with friends, oh and filling in my forms
Still it was worth all the hassle as I have just sold my car to an Italian, purely able to do it as I am a resident

Have a good un - Kenny
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

durobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud of

Hi Kenny
Have PM'd you.
Hope your car wasnt a small one,as I would have bought it!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:53 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hey Durobird,
How is your day going, lots of good news in your PM but will reply directly later. It was a 1986 Austin Mini, bright yellow which took me and a mechanic 15 months to restore.

I am sure Ariel who has just gone back to UK from Napoli has left behind a small car - Ariel are you there?

enjoying the sunshine after a dismal few days ??

regards Kenny
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:30 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
Lorna - 15 mins, you are obviously in a very privileged position within your commune, or there are only a couple of people wanting residency where you live

I stood in line for a while and in all it took about an hour, the most frustrating thing was the guy was multi-tasking at the time, you know - having a fag, drinking coffee, chatting with friends, oh and filling in my forms
Still it was worth all the hassle as I have just sold my car to an Italian, purely able to do it as I am a resident

Have a good un - Kenny
There are never many people in line for the Anagrafe in my comune. The last time I went was in November to get my son's identity travel card renewed for Christmas.

I took in his old one and some new photos - signed the forms and let them do the rest and take it to the Questura.

Most people seem to be in there to get copies of certificates and stato di famiglia and that stuff and those print-outs only take a minute.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I have to say that we have never hung around long at the anagrafe either. My town is quite small though so maybe that makes a difference. It is just all the 'umming' and 'ahhing' that means you may have to go back after a week if they need to think about stuff but it was all pretty straightforward for us. You could always leave it for a bit though Suzy, and if anyone queries it then just say you didn't know..... the Italians do it all the time!!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all the good advice! Will try and get down there asap but sounds like it wouldn't be terrible if I didn't make it for a while!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I often say 'Mi scusi! Non ho sapevo' and this gets me out of a lot of scrapes to be honest, although we are generally organised you understand.....
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:46 pm

Most Italians wouldn't even bother with the "mi scusi" unless they were being all sarcastic.

They go straight for the big shrug ..... the grunting boh/beh and then the "non lo sapevo".
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

I am still here! Durobird, my car is ready to pick up if you want. PM me. It's FAB!

Agreed, 16mins at the commune???!!

And, i wasn't joking when i said I waited 6 years to get mine. TBH, I'm not sure why I got it. For the docs maybe?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Excellent lingo advice! I'll definitely have to bother at somepoint as I need regular prescription medication and I shouldn't really get it from the UK after 6 months away. (though Italian doctors surgeries sound like a nightmare - might be quicker to go back to the UK!)
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuzyJ
Excellent lingo advice! I'll definitely have to bother at somepoint as I need regular prescription medication and I shouldn't really get it from the UK after 6 months away. (though Italian doctors surgeries sound like a nightmare - might be quicker to go back to the UK!)
You might find you can buy your meds over the counter here. Just an idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.