Jobs in Rome.

Old May 26th 2010, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

sully1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Rome.

Hi.
I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if anyone knew how easy it would be for an English person to find a job in Rome. I will hopefully be moving in 18 months after finishing Uni and just want to know if it is easy or not to find a job such as a barman, waiter etc whilst setting myself up there. Any help would be very appreciated, thanks!
Old May 28th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Rome.

Hi,
I live outside Rome, so can not help much.Just wanted to make you aware that jobs are scarce, people are being laid off and the menial jobs that were usually taken by the Bangladeshis( washing dishes in restaurants, etc) are now taken by Italians.
Rome is a very expensive city to live in. Even if you find a job as a barman( do you speak good Italian by the way?), you might not be able to live centrally as rented accommodation is very expensive.
I do not know what you will get as a barman, but you will struggle to pay rent, food etc.As an example, a young girl working in a shop gets 600/700 euro a month and she probably lives at home with her parents.
Regarding getting jobs with degrees/Uni, again is difficult. Many young Italians leave upon graduation for other European countries for jobs.
I am not trying to discourage you from moving here, you might want to do your homework first before you move here.
Old May 29th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jobs in Rome.

I have to agree. The issue here is a) can you find a job and b) will that job pay you enough that you can actually eat AND pay rent. Finding both is next to impossible - this is why most young Italians live with their parents.

Do you speak Italian?