Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italy/UK flights

Wikiposts

Italy/UK flights

Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Italy/UK flights

Originally Posted by MarkRD
M&D had booked MONARCH to come over on 27.12 but D got a mail from them on Friday saying that the flight was no longer available and so they would be put onto the next available flight ie. 29.12, and if necessary the return can also be changed FOC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004 explains your rights.
Although you're not due compensation unless you get less than 2 weeks notice, you are entitled to be rerouted at the earliest opportunity. Technically I think that may also require them to reroute you onto another airline but they undoubtedly wouldn't do that, forcing you to pay for another ticket and then pursue the refund in court. If you *really* wanted to spend the time and money to do that.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:19 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

M&D had booked MONARCH to come over on 27.12 but D got a mail from them on Friday saying that the flight was no longer available and so they would be put onto the next available flight ie. 29.12, and if necessary the return can also be changed FOC.

In our case it isn't a big problem, but it seems a bit rubbish to me that they can do that, after you've paid up and everything. It has never happned to me before .. .anyone else?

Yeah BA did it to me in Germany a few years back and I ended up back at London City not LHR.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:21 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casalottian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004 explains your rights.
Although you're not due compensation unless you get less than 2 weeks notice, you are entitled to be rerouted at the earliest opportunity. Technically I think that may also require them to reroute you onto another airline but they undoubtedly wouldn't do that, forcing you to pay for another ticket and then pursue the refund in court. If you *really* wanted to spend the time and money to do that.
Also been moved to another airline (can't remember who by) and been given money for going 2 hours later by BA, it was £116 in those days as I recall.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Savycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Try getting to Umbria from Yorkshire!!

Monach & Jet2 will fly to Rome from Leeds next May, which will be good but I suspect will only be during the summer months. Then it is 150km train journey.. which is great & really cheap compared to our silly rail fare prices. However, to hire a car from the town/station nearest to my home is over £100 more than if I hired it at the airport.

The other option is the dreaded RyanAir from Stansted to Perugia..... (the nearest airport, but only served by RyanAir from the UK) There is only one flight at a sensible time, which I am trying this time to avoid travelling overnight to catch the 07:30 flight! This way I will only have an 11-hour journey!

Monach from Birmingham to Rome is good, but limited flights at a sensible time so you have to stay overnight & I object to spending over 24 hours travelling to Italy! Monach changed my flight last time to another operator, which meant I did not have the seat with extra legroom that I had paid for. However, they refunded me immediately. I really like Monach and you can book in a 20kg case for £12 (at the moment), not the £60 that RyanAir charge!!

Final option is from Manchester to Rome (RyanAir or Jet2), but again I would have the additional cost of local car hire unless I hired in Rome, and I am not brave enough on the Italian roads yet to try this - especially getting out of Rome!

Finally, re car hire... Everyone says to hire from UK & I use the company recommended by Martin Lewis... Are we all agreed on this or is there a cheaper option in Italy?
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Blimey sounds as if being moved around is more common than I thought ... ..my famous last words are: it has never happened to me!
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:40 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Blimey sounds as if being moved around is more common than I thought ... ..my famous last words are: it has never happened to me!
Words you may live to regret
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Words you may live to regret
I'm taking a flight tomorrow .. .two actually!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 1:36 am
Dunroaming back in UK

I'm taking a flight tomorrow .. .two actually!
Wrap up warm as it is chilly in Murmansk this time of year
Old Nov 12th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Wrap up warm as it is chilly in Murmansk this time of year
how did you guess?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 2:02 am
Dunroaming back in UK

how did you guess?
Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul................