Italy, tax issue

Italy, tax issue

Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:27 pm
erd
Just Joined

erd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Italy, tax issue

Hello everyone :-)

I am from a Non-EU country, planning to live in whether Italy or France beginning next year, but that probably will be Italy.

I own a house and car here. Will keep the house, sell the car, planning to rent a flat in Italy (probably Sicily region) but the are 2 main questions arising important, will be pleased if you can help.

Planning to buy a 2nd hand Gallardo or brand-new Nissan GT-R, both around EUR 85,000.

For buying a car in Italy, I think I have to be a permanent resident. Am I right? (not sure about about that)

When I qualify for a parmanent resident, then I have to pay taxes, which I don't want. The reason is simple: I have some websites which I earn advertising income. That has nothing to do with Italy. It's not even freelance, cause I will not even trade anything with Italian.

On tax advice websites, it says when you become a resident, you have to pay taxes from all your incomes (international). How can this be? If I earn $200,000 a year, will I give almost 40% of this income to Italian government?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:37 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italy, tax issue

Hi,

we don't know where you are coming from so can't help much but Italy has tax agreements with many countries to avoid double taxation so check that out first.

Not knowing where you are coming from, we also don't know how you will get into Italy. A working visa for example? A student visa?

How do you plan to get residency here with no proof of income ?

Yes - you do need residency to buy a car.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:16 pm
erd
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi,

we don't know where you are coming from so can't help much but Italy has tax agreements with many countries to avoid double taxation so check that out first.

Not knowing where you are coming from, we also don't know how you will get into Italy. A working visa for example? A student visa?

How do you plan to get residency here with no proof of income ?

Yes - you do need residency to buy a car.
Hello, I'm from Turkey..
I have a Schengen Visa each year, that's not a problem, but of course, the duration of stay is generally limited to 90 days.. So, of course, i will prove my income showing my bank accounts here in Turkey.. Isn't it possible to get a resident visa if I show those and rent a house in Italy?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:34 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

erd - you need to visit either the Italian consul or embassy where you live in Turkey - they will tell you exactly what you need, but you will need more than a Schengen to stay legally.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:43 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Testarossa is right. You need to speak to somebody at the embassy who knows more about this.

A Schengen visa is for a stay in Italy of up to 90 days.

What will you do after 90 days?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

As a non EU citizen it will not be so easy for you to get permanent residency in Italy but it is possible. As has been said above, visit your local Italian Embassy or try another website which is more geared to non EU people. However assuming you do get permission to live permanently in Italy i can confirm that you will be taxed on your world wide income regardless of where or how you earned it. There are a few exceptions to this e.g if you are a UN employee or employed by your government (e.g embassy staff or military). None of these sounds to be your case.
The world wide income taxation is common in all the EU and as far as i know a lot of non EU countries as well, it is probably also the case in Turkey.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Are those cars windup like this thread ?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

erd is there a N missing in front of your name or do you just like to brag?

Can't write to much got to go cut the grass round our Castle, and my wife has just come home and bought a Ferrari...Do i have to pay Tax as well? AH no i live in Don Luigi town he will look after me
Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:04 pm
erd
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
erd is there a N missing in front of your name or do you just like to brag?

Can't write to much got to go cut the grass round our Castle, and my wife has just come home and bought a Ferrari...Do i have to pay Tax as well? AH no i live in Don Luigi town he will look after me
:-))) anyway.. thanks for all replies.. really appreciated.

By the way.. Of course, everything will be legal.. That's a serious decision, so I have to think about every single thing before I go..

Last edited by erd; Jun 25th 2009 at 12:46 pm.