Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian UHT Milk

Italian UHT Milk

Old Nov 21st 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Italian UHT Milk

When you buy UHT milk (any make) make sure you look at the bottom of the packet. In very small print you will see the numbers 1 to 5. If one of the numbers is missing then this means that this is the number of times the milk has been allowed (after expiry) to go back to the factory to be REprocessed and put back on the shelves for sale. This is allowed to happen up to 5 times by italian law
I checked a litre yesterday in my cupboard and sure enough the 2 is missing. I always drink fresh milk but have a couple of uht in the house just in case we run out. I think from now on I will only buy the pack that has all the numbers 1 to 5 on
Old Nov 21st 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Italian UHT Milk

Thanks Patty, I have just looked at the bottom of one I have, no numbers 1 to 5 but there is a 2 in a circle. I'll be careful in future.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patty
When you buy UHT milk (any make) make sure you look at the bottom of the packet. In very small print you will see the numbers 1 to 5. If one of the numbers is missing then this means that this is the number of times the milk has been allowed (after expiry) to go back to the factory to be REprocessed and put back on the shelves for sale. This is allowed to happen up to 5 times by italian law
I checked a litre yesterday in my cupboard and sure enough the 2 is missing. I always drink fresh milk but have a couple of uht in the house just in case we run out. I think from now on I will only buy the pack that has all the numbers 1 to 5 on
Vom

I've just checked mine. Walking to the fridge felt like one of those horror film scenes when you're screaming "Don't do it! Don't go in there!"
Mine's missing the number 1. Not too bad, but I still feel like this is on a par with the soylent green revalation - it upsets me greatly

Last edited by internationalbefky; Nov 21st 2010 at 1:05 pm. Reason: violin-soundtracked slow-mo venture to the fridge
Old Nov 21st 2010, 1:00 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

That's just sick. What about the plastic bottles of UHT Zymil?
Old Nov 21st 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

That's disgusting! So what do they do after it's been reprocessed the fifth time? maybe they make some cheese with it
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask you the source of your information Patty?
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
Can I ask you the source of your information Patty?
Certainly - it was a student of mine who is an engineer - he heard it on the programme Report Rai 3 (or maybe it was the magazine Altro Consumo - the consumer mag)

Last edited by Patty; Nov 21st 2010 at 6:51 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duffer
not sure Duffer but I'd check all the labels back and front. The numbers are very small - the ones on my milk were red.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Patty. Complete urban myth. Think about it. When have you ever seen stacks of cartons of UHT milk outside a shop waiting for collection? "This is allowed to happen up to 5 times by italian law". I don't think so. Please show me the law.

The numbers 1 to 5 actually refer to the number of the roll of packaging that Tetra Pak use to produce the cartons. (typically Tetra Pak use a five roll combination). When one number is missing it simply means that the roll in question was unavailable. In some factories (south america) a nine roll combination is used and often two to three rolls will be unavailable as they are awaiting filling.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Nov 21st 2010 at 9:05 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Patty. Complete urban myth. Think about it. When have you ever seen stacks of cartons of UHT milk outside a shop waiting for collection? "This is allowed to happen up to 5 times by italian law". I don't think so. Please show me the law.

The numbers 1 to 5 actually refer to the number of the roll of packaging that Tetra Pak use to produce the cartons. (typically Tetra Pak use a five roll combination). When one number is missing it simply means that the roll in question was unavailable. In some factories (south america) a nine roll combination is used and often two to three rolls will be unavailable as they are awaiting filling.
Okay - I was obviously misinformed and will take it up with the person.
My apologies to everyone
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:31 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I drank some of that milk this morning. Should I go see the doctor?
I might have mad cow's.
Oh sh*t!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Still barfing into my coffee cup.

Myth or not it still sounds like Italy. Besides the milk over here is soooooo bad it is like water with a bit of white colour in it. Maybe because it has been processed so many times
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by duffer
lol this is the first time that I have seen you concerned. It's not because you've just had a glass of No 5 warm milk with your biscuits is it. You normally manage to put a naughty twist on the thread.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes you're right Pecora - its gross at the best of times. Still feel bad though - I didnt do my homework before posting my urban myth - am very sorry guys but I did it in good faith
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patty
Yes you're right Pecora - its gross at the best of times. Still feel bad though - I didnt do my homework before posting my urban myth - am very sorry guys but I did it in good faith
Patty, I am still think you are right, and far be it for me to spread urban myths, but it's going on facebook

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.