Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian pension - INPS

Italian pension - INPS

Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Italian pension - INPS

I realise that the entire Italian pension system will probably go belly up before we're entitled to anything but I was just wondering, in theory, how does it work? For example, say I pay my INPS pension contributions for only 10 years and then return to Australia. Would I get anything from Italy when I retire? Or would I lose that money?
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:02 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian pension - INPS

Originally Posted by gelato
I realise that the entire Italian pension system will probably go belly up before we're entitled to anything but I was just wondering, in theory, how does it work? For example, say I pay my INPS pension contributions for only 10 years and then return to Australia. Would I get anything from Italy when I retire? Or would I lose that money?
I think, but not certain, that Italy/Australia have an agreement. Take a look at the INPS site.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

However, you must work for 20 years before you get a penny from INPS - so here for 10 years then another 10 years somewhere else before they would give you the derisory amount, when you are 70 or somesuch and by then it woont be worth going to the Post Office anyway .... not that Im bitter or anything!
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
However, you must work for 20 years before you get a penny from INPS - so here for 10 years then another 10 years somewhere else before they would give you the derisory amount, when you are 70 or somesuch and by then it woont be worth going to the Post Office anyway .... not that Im bitter or anything!
Glad you're not bitter or anything modicasa. I am, very bitter. Apart from INPS having lost 2 years contributions (74 - 76); making me wait 3 years to actually get my pension (2005 - 2008), and 'voluntarily' pay €3400 to make up 'lost' contributions first; I now discover that this July they have not paid my annual 'supplement for low pensions'. Of course now I can't make any complaints or investigations until September. Since my INPS pension has increased to €400 per month, it is obviously no longer 'bassa'?
I was relying on that amount (€336) to pay water/ENEL/Telecom.
Gelato, I think in theory you should somewhere somehow get your INPS contributions paid eventually; but nowadays who knows. Best of luck anyway.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:10 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
The rules are different for non-eu Modicasa. But I didn't mention the number of years because Gelato has a long way to go before she gets her pension. That is, assuming they will be still paying them when she reaches retirement age.

Sorry to here your troubles Ononno. Inps lost 1yr of OH's too. They also lost another 3yrs (68/71) when Fiat transferred everything to Inps! Luckily OH had kept the carbon copies, but still took ages to sort out.

We didn't get this years tax re-bate in July. We might get it in August.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
The rules are different for non-eu Modicasa. But I didn't mention the number of years because Gelato has a long way to go before she gets her pension. That is, assuming they will be still paying them when she reaches retirement age.

Sorry to here your troubles Ononno. Inps lost 1yr of OH's too. They also lost another 3yrs (68/71) when Fiat transferred everything to Inps! Luckily OH had kept the carbon copies, but still took ages to sort out.

We didn't get this years tax re-bate in July. We might get it in August.
Hope you do. I had hoped that maybe the payment would turn up on August pension, but it didn't. More dipping into the 'cloudburst' fund required. At least we have one.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Yes, you need to work at least 20 years before you get anything.

I also learned recently that with the new 'contibutivo' system, those who have worked ony 20 years get even less than those who haven't worked at all .. who will get the 'minima' .. ...I dunno.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD

I also learned recently that with the new 'contibutivo' system, those who have worked ony 20 years get even less than those who haven't worked at all .. who will get the 'minima' .. ...I dunno.
I thought that the new system abolished the ' minima' so no contributions = no pension ?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:50 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by MarkRD

Gelato is looking to transfer her's to Australia though -or dreaming. Someone I know did the same and was able to transfer her 'stamps' though I can't remember the details.

Mark, it's worse for a women. Several of our friends have separated on paper because women's pension are on a sliding scale. No matter what they have paid. The higher OH's pension, the less a women gets. By separating, they get their full pension upped to the 'minima' if it's more.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I thought that the new system abolished the ' minima' so no contributions = no pension ?
You're always entitled to at least something .. I think (although I think that's unfair).

Originally Posted by 37100
Gelato is looking to transfer her's to Australia though -or dreaming. Someone I know did the same and was able to transfer her 'stamps' though I can't remember the details.

Mark, it's worse for a women. Several of our friends have separated on paper because women's pension are on a sliding scale. No matter what they have paid. The higher OH's pension, the less a women gets. By separating, they get their full pension upped to the 'minima' if it's more.
Yes there are international agreements especially with countries which were 'immigrant' destinations.

That's really bad for women.