Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Italian Disaster

The Italian Disaster

Old May 30th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default The Italian Disaster

I thought some members might be interested in this: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n10/perry-a...alian-disaster
Old May 31st 2014, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Italian Disaster

yes, primula alerted me to that.

Thank you primula.

I'd be interested in what anyone thinks of the portrayal of Napolitano in that piece.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

resounding silence on this one.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - many thanks for this link to an extremely very well researched and detailed analysis of contemporary Italian politics written by an English (marxist?) professor in California. Very worrying comments about the new electoral law and a lot of criticism of Napolitano who comes over as a bit of a hero on Italian TV at the moment. A bit of sympathy with Grillo too who at least puts corruption on the very top of his agenda and wanted to get rid of Napolitano. I'm not qualified to comment_ but when are they actually going to send a few of these corrupt politicians to Prison? Why do they take so long
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:15 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysider
I'd be interested in what anyone thinks of the portrayal of Napolitano in that piece.
harsh but essentially fair methinks
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

not harsh enough, interesting Sunday morning read. Thanks Sancho.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
harsh but essentially fair methinks
I tend to agree from what I know mike.

I have had him referred to as "King George" once or twice when I have been in Italy and I know some have seen him as all that stands between Italy and its collapse as a nation state but (and yes I accept that it was a long time ago) his position on Hungary seemed particularly craven/dogmatic and might I suppose help explain why so many Italians were so virulently anti communist for so long.

One then wonders if he was trying to over-compensate for this shameful position by saying some very dodgy things on the occasion of what I think was the first "foibe memorial day". Seem to remember that he spoke of Slav expansionism or some such rot and that there was maybe a hint that a transfer of territory to Italy in that area might smooth some folks' entry into Europe.

More recently I get the impression that he has at times been less than tough on the democratic abomination that is Berlusconi though that might also be a reflection on the sheer difficulty of moulding together Italy's various factions.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:14 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I have had him referred to as "King George" once or twice when I have been in Italy and I know some have seen him as all that stands between Italy and its collapse as a nation state but (and yes I accept that it was a long time ago) his position on Hungary seemed particularly craven/dogmatic and might I suppose help explain why so many Italians were so virulently anti communist for so long.

One then wonders if he was trying to over-compensate for this shameful position by saying some very dodgy things on the occasion of what I think was the first "foibe memorial day". Seem to remember that he spoke of Slav expansionism or some such rot and that there was maybe a hint that a transfer of territory to Italy in that area might smooth some folks' entry into Europe.

More recently I get the impression that he has at times been less than tough on the democratic abomination that is Berlusconi though that might also be a reflection on the sheer difficulty of moulding together Italy's various factions.
seems feasible and I think his best years are way behind him and he is really struggling now
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

His recent speech re jobs for the young was a prime example of don't do as I do etc. His cover up on past dealings with the Mafia.................and the history that he interprets in his own way...........Normandy, what was he doing there?
M
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Normandy, what was he doing there?
M
Hi maybe.

Care to elaborate?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

About Napolitano: Yes, Sunnysider asked me my impressions about his figure, but I forgot to answer - maybe a lapsus? :-) It is very painful for me anyway to be compelled to admit that we Italians have very bad politicians. But I have to subscribe every word of Sunnysider, I must say.

About the "anticommunism": well, it is true that there has been a strong "anti-communist feeling" (I would say better: anti PCI), but not only from the right side:

maybe you know that, among the young left people in the '70s, there has been a strong opposition to the PCI (Partito Comunista Italiano) from the left side. Maybe you know the story of the "il manifesto" group - a group of communists intellectuals, members of the PCI, some also ex-members of parliaments (Rossana Rossanda) who have been expelled from the PCI in those years, as they criticised the PCI positions about the Praga facts in 1969, raised an issue concerning the absence of democracy inside the Communist Party, and founded the non-orthodox left newspaper "il manifesto". Napolitano, at the time of course one of the right wing establishment of the PCI, voted for the expulsion.

if you want to know more about the "il manifesto":
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_manifesto

ciao, Primula

Old Jun 10th 2014, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by primularossa
About Napolitano: Yes, Sunnysider asked me my impressions about his figure, but I forgot to answer - maybe a lapsus? :-) It is very painful for me anyway to be compelled to admit that we Italians have very bad politicians. But I have to subscribe every word of Sunnysider, I must say.

About the "anticommunism": well, it is true that there has been a strong "anti-communist feeling" (I would say better: anti PCI), but not only from the right side:

maybe you know that, among the young left people in the '70s, there has been a strong opposition to the PCI (Partito Comunista Italiano) from the left side. Maybe you know the story of the "il manifesto" group - a group of communists intellectuals, members of the PCI, some also ex-members of parliaments (Rossana Rossanda) who have been expelled from the PCI in those years, as they criticised the PCI positions about the Praga facts in 1969, raised an issue concerning the absence of democracy inside the Communist Party, and founded the non-orthodox left newspaper "il manifesto". Napolitano, at the time of course one of the right wing establishment of the PCI, voted for the expulsion.

if you want to know more about the "il manifesto":
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_manifesto

ciao, Primula

Good to see someone who really knows Italy joining in. So do you think the LRB thing is right about Napolitano ?

Last edited by Sancho; Jun 10th 2014 at 12:22 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Hi maybe.

Care to elaborate?
The BBC commentators were saying he fought with the partisans. Balderdash. Read up what he was really doing between 1940 and 1945.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sancho
Good to see someone who really knows Italy joining in. So do you think the LRB thing is right about Napolitano ?

it is sad to say but yes, the book you mentioned, "the Italian Disaster", is definitively right. I would not change a word and I share all the critics to Napolitano.
Reading this, it is easy to understand why the right voted for him as President.
And, I must say, the defeat of Stefano Rodota' as President in 2013 and the re-election of Giorgio Napolitano has been a very bad thing not only for the left but for the future of democracy in Italy.

have a good night
Primula
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=primularossa;11297041], the defeat of Stefano Rodota' as President in 2013 and the re-election of Giorgio Napolitano has been a very bad thing not only for the left but for the future of democracy in Italy.

I can remember the moment that Rodota didn't get elected very well. His name was put forward by 5 Stelle - he seemed the ideal candidat with the backing of both Grillo and his own party but for some extraordinary reason the PD didn't vote for him! GF said she would never vote for the PD again and it still seems a mystery that he didn't win - the only plausible reason being that his name was put forward by Cinque Stelle??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.