Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian car costs!!!!!!!

Italian car costs!!!!!!!

Old Nov 13th 2010, 6:23 am
Just Joined

marchegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Italian car costs!!!!!!!

Were looking a purchasing a second hand italian car......Can anyone tell me the costs involved, i think there is some sort of charge for putting the vehicle in my name!!! Or the alternative is to have our british car put on italian plates...any advise would be grafeful on this..
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Italian car costs!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by marchegirl
Were looking a purchasing a second hand italian car......Can anyone tell me the costs involved, i think there is some sort of charge for putting the vehicle in my name!!! Or the alternative is to have our british car put on italian plates...any advise would be grafeful on this..
Lots of threads about buying cars... try Subito.it for cars in the local area, costs are usualy a tax for changing ownership (can't remember the name in Italian) then the road tax and insurance.. which will be a shock.

If you buy from a garage the warranty will last as long as it takes to drive off the forecourt Italians and customer service! When we bought our first car here and the clutch failed after a month, I pretty much threatened to drive it through the showroom windows before they fixed it.

But as with most things, try asking the locals, or even take a note of where they bought their cars...

Good luck, I'm sure some more advice will come along in a while.

try Italsure for your insurance, a UK based company that will usualy beat any Italian insurance company on price.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any friends working for international organizations such as FAO. Erikson, some British Int. schools? There are usually many adverts about cars and accommodation because people come and go. Only last night I looked at the adds section in DD'S school and they had a Tiguan for sale, with all extras,1 year old at 23.000e.. Expensive if you want a little run around car, but still cheaper than a new one that is between 30/35,000 E.
I'm afraid I do not trust Italian garages.
Regarding changing the uk plates to Italian ones, our friends did it recently and it involved a lot of bureaucracy and money-but can find out for you how much if interested.

Last edited by Isakat; Nov 13th 2010 at 10:22 am.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

the charge for putting it in your name is probably what they call here the "voltura" - usually about 400€ I think.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Italian car costs!! - a statement of fact Changing our number plates from British to Italian was an enormous hassle and very expensive, in hindsight, we would have sold the car in the UK and bought a car here. There are other threads that you can look up on this forum for more help. Good luck.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Originally Posted by PAT M
Italian car costs!! - a statement of fact Changing our number plates from British to Italian was an enormous hassle and very expensive, in hindsight, we would have sold the car in the UK and bought a car here. There are other threads that you can look up on this forum for more help. Good luck.
How true Pat, we did the same thing and was not cheap....to be honest in hindsight I would drive my UK car back every year get it MOT and fill up with Goodies
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
How true Pat, we did the same thing and was not cheap....to be honest in hindsight I would drive my UK car back every year get it MOT and fill up with Goodies
Sounds a good idea, but would a UK insurance company cover a car outside the UK for more than three months? Direct Line didn't want to know when our three month green card ran out, then an Italian insurance company wouldn't cover us because we had GB plates, we were without a car for about a month while we sorted it all out. I have seen some foreign number plates that seem to be here permanently so some sort of fiddle is going on.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

I have seen some foreign number plates that seem to be here permanently so some sort of fiddle is going on.
your dead right there, more than 1 way to skin a cat
Old Nov 19th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Sounds a good idea, but would a UK insurance company cover a car outside the UK for more than three months? Direct Line didn't want to know when our three month green card ran out, then an Italian insurance company wouldn't cover us because we had GB plates, we were without a car for about a month while we sorted it all out. I have seen some foreign number plates that seem to be here permanently so some sort of fiddle is going on.
We where insured with the AA and they only covered your policy outside the UK for 90 days..BUT when we dug deeper we found out that BY law you are insurred on the "minimum of which the contry you are staying in" (if that makes sense) So we was on Fully comp, and when our 90 days where up it went to 3rd party...There are also some insurance comanies that wil insure your car while abroad, does not matter how long you stay.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:21 am
Just Joined

mideasttom is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody here know anything about getting a car registered in Romania.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

The costs are horrendous. Until I retired I was often driving Italy/UK/Italy at least 2/3 times a year. I therefore kept a vehicle on UK plates, and was always able to MOT it, and have UK insurance. Of course I have a business address in the UK that allowed me to do this. The vehicle was LHD, so when health/age stopped these long tiring journies, I registered it on Italian plates last year; just before the MOT expired.
Started the process in April, got the plate July 10.
Costed
6 x 150 Km round trips to Naples.
Euro 400 for sworn translations of V5 document - 3 copies with duty stamp
Euro 100 for CoC homologation document + 14.90 duty stamp
1 C/C versamento 29.24
1 C/C versamento 25.00
1 C/C versamento 29.71
these to various departments of Ministry of Transport for number plates etc.
Euro 100 to elettrauto to changeover rear light cluster foglights to correct side.
About 100 Euro to AC for Certificato di Proprieta'
A fortune in coffee and headache pills convincing ministry that Certificato di Proprieta' doesn't exist in GB.
Add to this Euro 960 p.a. Insurance and Euro 447 p.a. tasse automobilistiche.
The chuffin car costs more to keep than Donna C.
p.s. forgot of course the cost (very tiny) of certificato di residenza and stato di famiglia from Municipio.

Last edited by ononno; Nov 19th 2010 at 7:45 am. Reason: added info
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ononno
The costs are horrendous. Until I retired I was often driving Italy/UK/Italy at least 2/3 times a year. I therefore kept a vehicle on UK plates, and was always able to MOT it, and have UK insurance. Of course I have a business address in the UK that allowed me to do this. The vehicle was LHD, so when health/age stopped these long tiring journies, I registered it on Italian plates last year; just before the MOT expired.
Started the process in April, got the plate July 10.
Costed
6 x 150 Km round trips to Naples.
Euro 400 for sworn translations of V5 document - 3 copies with duty stamp
Euro 100 for CoC homologation document + 14.90 duty stamp
1 C/C versamento 29.24
1 C/C versamento 25.00
1 C/C versamento 29.71
these to various departments of Ministry of Transport for number plates etc.
Euro 100 to elettrauto to changeover rear light cluster foglights to correct side.
About 100 Euro to AC for Certificato di Proprieta'
A fortune in coffee and headache pills convincing ministry that Certificato di Proprieta' doesn't exist in GB.
Add to this Euro 960 p.a. Insurance and Euro 447 p.a. tasse automobilistiche.
The chuffin car costs more to keep than Donna C.
p.s. forgot of course the cost (very tiny) of certificato di residenza and stato di famiglia from Municipio.
wow 447 p.a. tasse automobilistiche. I can just see you sitting in your Ferrari
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

wot's one o' them?