Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Insurance - MOT - Stuart Collins

Insurance - MOT - Stuart Collins

Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice
Default Re: Insurance - MOT - Stuart Collins

From Stuart Collins.........This came in a PDF no heading nothing and the word MOOTED I do not know what it means....

OUR POSITION ON TAX AND MOT ON VEHICLES COVERED BY OUR
SCHEME.
WE BELIEVE THAT THE VEHICLES SHOULD BE KEPT WITH CURRENT
MOT AND ROAD TAX, AS THE VEHICLES SHOULD COMPLY WITH THE
RULES OF'IT'S COUNTRY OF REGISTRATION.

HOWEVER, IF EITHER OR BOTH EXPIRE WHILST THE VEHICLE IS OUT
OF THE UK POLICY COVER IS NOT AFFECTED, BUT IN THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES WE SUGGEST IT MAY BE WISE TO OBTAIN A SAFETY CHECK FROM A COMPETENT GARAGE AND THE INVOICE BE KEPT.

NOTWITHSTANDING THE ABOVE, IT IS QUITE FEASIBLE THAT THE
AUTHORITIES OF THE HOST COUNTRY MAY TAKE A DIM VIEW IF
THEY ASK FOR THE DOCUMENTS AND REALISE THAT THEY HAVE
EXPIRED AND IT HAS BEEN MOOTED THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN
ASKED TO REMOVE THE VEHICLE FROM THS COUNTRY OR IN SOME
CASES EVEN PROSECUTED.

Last edited by Mr Posh; Nov 17th 2011 at 6:20 am.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Either somebody there cannot type in English, or they use a totally different keyboard to the rest of us. Their English alone would put me off.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Either somebody there cannot type in English, or they use a totally different keyboard to the rest of us. Their English alone would put me off.
I have corrected it...It did come ok BUT when I Copied it it came out all *&%*^%&*^%&
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
I have corrected it...It did come ok BUT when I Copied it it came out all *&%*^%&*^%&
Ah - okay.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:42 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
You #ยง&% !!!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough

Thats just what i got.

A bit vague to say the least but i still think they are decent company. And they stated that from experience insurance cover has honoured in the past.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

It all looks a bit dodgy to me. We use Stuart Collins and for us going back once a year for the MOT is not a problem and it means we can fill the car up with stuff. It looks to me as it SC are just trying to cover themselves but aren't actually advising you to be without MOT and tax. What happens if you do come back to the UK for a visit with the car? It wont be road legal from the moment you arrive.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Scudiero will become famous soon enoughScudiero will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LivingHere
What happens if you do come back to the UK for a visit with the car? It wont be road legal from the moment you arrive.
On the two occasions I have had experience of this situation the only way to go is to organise an MOT test appointment on the day of your return and if you are stopped explain that you are taking the car to the appointment. You will need proof of the appointment.

This is what we were advised unofficially by an official office and it was not tested as we were not stopped on the way to the MOT test. The car was in good order.

100% legal seems to be very difficult in the world today.

Nick
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:50 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scudiero

100% legal seems to be very difficult in the world today.

Nick
Not really. All you have to do is follow the rules. Re-register your car or take it for a MOT in the UK.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

turivano is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all very interesting, I am not looking for 'something for nothing' but am interesting in not having to pay vast sums for italian cars and insurance, especially as the full brunt of the italian taxation system is taking effect. Working for Fiat there is no escaping any of the payments, atleast not until I hit board level.
A shortish term solution will help as a company car might be available in the next 18months.

SC are giving people a get out clause that they can use as a 1 off when living abroad for a year etc... not a permanent way of avoiding all taxation. I think authorities anywhere might feel it is a bit off to be using a car where all documentation is 5 years out of date.
People have and will continue to get away with all kinds of things, but its that first kid that you squash on a lazy saturday afternoon when the wheels will really start to come off the wagon. Suddenly its not a quick negotiation in italoenglish but a direct to jail.
TBH the state of some of the obviously untaxed, uninsured and unMOTd UK cars in Italy is pretty embarassing, rich enough to have a second home or be 'living the dream' but not actually considerate enough to respect the rules of the country they are leeching off.

If I registered a car in either my partner or fathers name for instance the situation could work, especially as it will be back to the UK atleast once a year so can be MOTd. And either of them would want to use it a bit too. The problem would be my insurance cover as an italian resident driving a UK car. Another slant to look at, especially as I could live without at the moment but life would be far easier with one.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

phil123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read all the post and nothing I have read convinces me "not" to have tax on my GB registered Landrover, sorry. I to use SC and have found them to be reliable, however like all insurance companies they will try to wriggle out of any situation where they have to pay a claim, and not having a Tax Disk or a valid MOT are two golden opportunities for them to do so. In their eyes your car will be illegal.

So for me its the annual drive to the UK for tax and MOT, better that than being involved in an incident with a car that's illegal.

As for getting the Landrover on Italian plates that's a different matter, as it has been "in their eyes" customised, extra lights and an A bar it means the car is not original and therefore is not allowed to be transferred to Italian plates. After a couple of years of going around in circles trying this its now a case of sod it, it stays on UK plates, the insurance is a darn sight cheaper. I have been stopped once, I showed all my docs and went on my way.

We have plenty of foreign cars from Bulgaria and Romania that also seem to have no troubles.