ING Direct

Old Jul 9th 2016, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Lotaresco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ING Direct

My wife and I have been in Abruzzo for a long time. I have to work in the UK so I don't have residence. She does. Our bank have started to mess us around, they have closed our account because they claim a resident and a non-resident cannot have a joint account. I can sort that mess out eventually but I want to change to another bank.

We completed an on-line application for a bank account in my wife's name (only) with ING. She went this morning to a "Punto Arrancio" with her documents including certificate of residence but she was told she can't open an account because she has a UK passport. I can see ING is recommended by people here, can someone tell me how they opened an account?
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ING Direct

well its true you cant have a resident and a non resident jjoint account - its one or the other. The UK passport thing is rubbish - she is a resident she will have a cartad'identita or a driving licence and that is enough. She should ask to see the ordinance which prohibits UK passport holders from having a resident account.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

mmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond repute

Just try again, who told her that was clearly incompetent.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I think the problem at the moment is that the "ditta" handled matters as all men do in Italy, by shouting at the "stupid woman" and failing to explain anything. I think my wife needs some time to relax and forget about the nastiness. It's not helped by the "Punto Arrancio" being a some distance away involving a drive up the autostrada - she doesn't like motorways. I think it may have to wait until I get over there.

I'm just hoping MPS don't mess up the standing orders and direct debits in the meantime. Last time they had a strop we lost the use of our Telepass.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:18 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I have an ING account opened up a while back, no issue at all with the British passport, I never had to show my Carta di Soggiorno either. Also a couple of years ago I opened an account with Hello Bank. No Carta di Soggiorno required either.

Neither was the need to take any documents into an office either. With Hello Bank, scans sent via email were sufficient. I was required however to have a webcam appointment with Hello Bank during which I had to hold up the passport.

I suppose because when one opens the accounts online, they confirm/declare that they are over 18, resident in Italy, etc. during the account opening process.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

I have an ING savings account and also a mortgage with ING, I opened both on line without actually going anywhere or seeing anyone in person although I have been to one of their Rome braches a few times since. I cannot find fault with their operation at all, they loaned me a good sum of money, essentially over the phone and internet, and always the same person on the phone each time. I had to send documents of course, including my UK passport. Their web site is particularly good, whether you are looking at your savings account or your mortgage account. All the info you need is constantly updated and available. Compared to some of the treatment I got from UNICREDIT (where I had a current account for >20 years) when I enquired about a mortgage ING were wonderful!
Old Jul 15th 2016, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lotaresco
My wife and I have been in Abruzzo for a long time. I have to work in the UK so I don't have residence. She does. Our bank have started to mess us around, they have closed our account because they claim a resident and a non-resident cannot have a joint account. I can sort that mess out eventually but I want to change to another bank.

We completed an on-line application for a bank account in my wife's name (only) with ING. She went this morning to a "Punto Arrancio" with her documents including certificate of residence but she was told she can't open an account because she has a UK passport. I can see ING is recommended by people here, can someone tell me how they opened an account?
dont give up where in abruzzo are you i might be able to help as for ing never heard of but bank on line with another itaian bank
Old Jul 18th 2016, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

We're near Teramo. The ING "Punto Arrancio" is at Colonella. I'm working in England so I can't do anything at the moment. I'll be back in Abruzzo at the end of July so I'm hoping to get the ING account sorted out when I get back.

TBH I think the problem is the usual Italian male sexist drivel. A woman can't possibly know what she is talking about and therefore she must be shouted at, a lot, especially if she's an English woman because they know nothing at all.

We run into this attitude over and over again. But as soon as I turn up the problems go away because they don't mind talking to a man.

Anyway thanks again to all. I'll let you know how I get on in a couple of weeks.