Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Ilaria Salis case

The Ilaria Salis case

Old Feb 4th 2024, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future
Default The Ilaria Salis case

I happened on a discussion on La7, today at lunchtime, on the Salis affair; I was pleased, because I couldn't understand why I knew nothing about the csse until it broke earlier this week and was pleased to have a coherent explanation.
Leaving aside the merits of the prosecution case, the alleged conditions of her incarceration, the courtroom spectacle (on all of which i have views), what struck me most in the documentary was a passage where the Foreign Secretary , Tajani*, was "ambushed" in the street by journalists asking for his reactions. Tajani blustered but didn't bullshit and stuck it out for 5 minutes, knowing that he had been badly let down by the Embassy staff.
There have been a number of threads on the Forum where Italian "Public/Political Life" has been criticised, rightly so, but with a hint of "British is best". I wonder if any of us can recall a comparable confrontation between power and the public in Britain?
The Italian way of life isn't all bad, Salvini apart.
* Of all those who attached thrmselves to Berlusconi's coat-tails, Tajani always seemed to me a 'decent' man.

Last edited by jiminalpago; Feb 4th 2024 at 12:31 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ilaria Salis case

Gone up to the highest levels - Tajani / Sijjhártó & Meloni / Orbán.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

For those who don't know Salis is accused of participating in some particularly nasty Anti-Fa motivated attacks on pedestrians on the streets of Budapest last year.

Allegations have been made as to her treatment in custody.

Here she is in court recently -

Old Feb 4th 2024, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's one contemporary account -

https://hungarytoday.hu/german-and-i...e-in-budapest/
Old Feb 4th 2024, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Finknottle
You may have missed the part, Finknottle, in which i said " I have views".
My comment was on the Italian political reaction.
I was, however, struck by the reference in your testimony to an unsoliscited attack on Polish "tourists", during what even the chronicalist describes as a Paneuropean celebration of Neonazi believers.
I didn't come up the Clyde on a banana boat, as they used to ssy.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
You may have missed the part, Finknottle, in which i said " I have views".
My comment was on the Italian political reaction.
I was, however, struck by the reference in your testimony to an unsoliscited attack on Polish "tourists", during what even the chronicalist describes as a Paneuropean celebration of Neonazi believers.
I didn't come up the Clyde on a banana boat, as they used to ssy.
No, I didn't miss anything and I realise that your comment is on the Italian political reaction - I have tried to provide some context to this from a contemporary account, but not [my] testimony.

By the way, we get a lot of Polish (and German, Austrian, Italian, French, Spanish, etc) tourists in Budapest!

Meanwhile, as to reactions -

​​​​​​
Old Feb 4th 2024, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing coincidence; your tourism peak almost clashes with the Carnevale di Venezia. I wonder how many Hungarians will end up in chains "before the Rialto", having over indulged?
Old Feb 4th 2024, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Amazing coincidence; your tourism peak almost clashes with the Carnevale di Venezia. I wonder how many Hungarians will end up in chains "before the Rialto", having over indulged?
Well if they attack people then I guess they will end up as you described.

By the way, are you suggesting that the alleged perpetrators "over indulged"?

And this is by no means our tourism peak!
Old Feb 4th 2024, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well if they attack people then I guess they will end up as you described.

By the way, are you suggesting that the alleged perpetrators "over indulged"?

And this is by no means our tourism peak!
Stra

To answer your question, I am not suggesting that Salis or anyone of her alleged accomplices 'over indulged'.
On the other hand, I am willing to bet that no Hungarian has appeared in shackles before an Italian court in the history of the Republic and I don't see that changing before the end of this carnival season, at least.
But "Hungarytoday", is it a government propaganda organ? It's remarkably one-eyed, even by Italian standards.

Last edited by jiminalpago; Feb 4th 2024 at 8:14 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stra

To answer your question, I am not suggesting that Salis or anyone of her alleged accomplices 'over indulged'.
On the other hand, I am willing to bet that no Hungarian has appeared in shackles before an Italian court in the history of the Republic and I don't see that changing before the end of this carnival season, at least.
But "Hungarytoday", is it a government propaganda organ? It's remarkably one-eyed, even by Italian standards.
So why mention over indulged - just not relevant.

Allegedly committed a seriously violent crime, handcuffs quite normal, in countries other than Hungary. In addition we don't know her behaviour on arrest or on remand, which may have necessitated restraint. From the photo she certainly looks comfortable.

As for news sources, pick on any number relating to the incident - all pretty much the same story. Remember you have only just heard of this case, we heard all about it 12 months ago. Pretty shocking, given that Budapest is a pretty safe city, by any standards.

Old Feb 4th 2024, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

because I couldn't understand why I knew nothing about the csse until it broke earlier this week
​​​​​​​What I find odd about this is that it would appear that the original incident (involving serious violence) appeared (from your comment) to have little or no coverage in Italy and yet when she appears in court in handcuffs (looking well) with a c&b story about her conditions, Italy suddenly wakes up and goes hysterical.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

In both your latest texts you have referred to her alleged involvement in violent disorder* as a justification for her being paraded in court in a manner which is beneath European norms; she isn't "handcuffed", she is wearing metal wrist and ankle restraints, linked to a leather waistband.
But; facts apart, I was commenting on what I saw as a positive example of openness in Italian public life and, tacitly, inviting reflection. If you are happy with an uncritical acceptance of your news source, so be it.

*I have seen the camera footage of the street attack, which is said to be the cardinal prosecution evidence: in no way would I condone a group attack but the Millwall Firm would have guffawed at this one. Perhaps it's a generational thing.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

In both your latest texts you have referred to her alleged involvement in violent disorder* as a justification for her being paraded in court in a manner which is beneath European norms; she isn't "handcuffed", she is wearing metal wrist and ankle restraints, linked to a leather waistband.
But; facts apart, I was commenting on what I saw as a positive example of openness in Italian public life and, tacitly, inviting reflection. If you are happy with an uncritical acceptance of your news source, so be it.

*I have seen the camera footage of the street attack, which is said to be the cardinal prosecution evidence: in no way would I condone a group attack but the Millwall Firm would have guffawed at this one. Perhaps it's a generational thing.
Oh dear, poor little innocent woman.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh dear, poor little innocent woman.
At least she is safe from trolls on her prison cell.
Mind how you go.
Old Feb 4th 2024, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

At least she is safe from trolls on her prison cell.
Mind how you go.
Bet you never anticipated that someone from Hungary would chip in - how disappointing for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.