Reload this Page >

how to watch UK TV online

how to watch UK TV online

Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how to watch UK TV online

Hi

We're taking a different approach to getting UK TV that never seems to get much coverage or attention. It's Windows MediaCentre and I'd be interested to know if anyone else uses it.

A couple of years ago, long before we even thought of moving to Italy, we bought a new PC running Windows XP and the additional Windows software that is MediaCentre.

MediaCentre allows you to control the TV, your music and photo collection, and home heating & lighting system and the idea is that when you are away from home you can connect to the entire system from any internet connection and watch live or recorded TV, look at your photos or listen to any of your albums.

That said we're actually in a half-way house with it. I can connect fine to my system back home, look at the live TV guide and control what is recorded but . . . cannot watch live TV.

I think this is due to the slow upload speed of my home internet connection so when we're home at Christmas we'll have to have a look at our internet package and connection speeds.

Regards

Linda
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:25 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Windows Media Center is now built into Vista (not the basic version). However, just like with the Slingbox, it only works if you have access to the internet in the UK in addition to internet in Italy.

IMO it would be cheaper to buy a dish and UK digibox than to buy an extra PC or Slingbox plus the monthly internet fee for the UK connection. Although not everyone can have a suitable dish on their roof.

Slingbox is definitely much cheaper and more practical than Vista, especially the new version which allows you to watch directly from a TV rather than a PC.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi Duffer

We've kept our house on in the UK so we have internet there and in Italy.

I haven't looked much at Slingbox because we had MediaCentre. Just need to get the upload connection working and then we're set

Otherwise my plan B is to keep transferring lots of recorded programmes from MediaCentre onto my portable hard drive each time I'm back in UK.

Linda
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:06 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

You're very fortunate. Or loaded. Probably both!
With the Slingbox you do away with the need for the PC in the UK, just plug your cable TV, satellite, freeview etc into the Slingbox and and then hook the slingbox up to the internet.
Check around for broadband providers, there are some with high download speeds but rubbish upload, the minimum you need is 256kbps but obviously the higher the better, like 640kbps.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

More fortunate than loaded unfortunately. I keep seeing adverts for the eurolottery and one day I'll find out where and how to put my ticket on!

We've kept the house in the UK because of the house price situation there and because my husband has an 18 month contract here. His contract might be extended but on the other hand we might well need our home in UK to go back to.

I'm really pleased that we can still listen to BBC radio over the internet and that it's not blocked like the TV programmes.

Linda
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:51 pm
Pull my finger

Radio 5 Live for the footy commentary is blocked though. I was gutted about that. Any broadcast which may infringe on broadcasting rights is blocked.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ah - I'm not really into football - but I do like watching the penalty shootouts in the world cup if that counts at all

Formula 1's my thing. Just got to wait until next March now for the next race!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 3:28 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Radio 5 Live for the footy commentary is blocked though. I was gutted about that. Any broadcast which may infringe on broadcasting rights is blocked.
The one and only time we ever tried to log into 5 live!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:08 pm
Banned

SunnyMeadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
The only thing that bothers me about using a proxy is does it then mean you will have problems connecting to your regular ISP or webmail because you are disguised and they won't recognise you? I looked at it as a way of connecting direct to the ABC and some other US TV sites where the most up to date versions of shows I like are shown.

I may try connecting my old UK boxes to see if anything happens, will let you know.
The proxy is something you turn on after you are logged into your ISP, so it doesn't interfere with them.
If you are on broadband, you are always connected to your ISP anyway.
The proxy service will come with some simple software for setting up, and after that you turn it on or off using an icon on your browser or something simple like that.

One thing that makes me wonder about this question from several people's postings is the effort people are willing to go to to see UK TV programmes.
I wonder why those people left the UK at all if they miss those things that much?

I had to go back to the UK (London) last month to sort out something and found it more horrible, harsh and dirty that I remember.
The way so many people just don't care anymore about so many things and about others is very objectionable and very unattractive to be around

I don't know why anyone would want to choose to go there to be honest, but maybe that's just me?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:24 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I think we've had a similar comment before and to me the two are distinctly different. I can't read Italian well, so I still read books in English. I like some English TV shows - not many- and a lot of US shows, all of which I watch on SKY Italia or various sites on the web. None of this means I want to live back in the UK.

Think about it, does watching something like CSI Miami mean I want to live in Miami? If you want to get psychological you could call it comfort in the familiar. But it could also just be that most Italian tv is crap and my Italian isn't up to watching in Italian for long periods - when I like a show I'll give it my best shot, but so few are watchable, why would I? Like it or not Britain and the US has some of the best tv shows in the world. Even Italians watch them!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:51 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by SunnyMeadow
The proxy is something you turn on after you are logged into your ISP, so it doesn't interfere with them.
If you are on broadband, you are always connected to your ISP anyway.
The proxy service will come with some simple software for setting up, and after that you turn it on or off using an icon on your browser or something simple like that.

One thing that makes me wonder about this question from several people's postings is the effort people are willing to go to to see UK TV programmes.
I wonder why those people left the UK at all if they miss those things that much?

I had to go back to the UK (London) last month to sort out something and found it more horrible, harsh and dirty that I remember.
The way so many people just don't care anymore about so many things and about others is very objectionable and very unattractive to be around

I don't know why anyone would want to choose to go there to be honest, but maybe that's just me?
SunnyMeadow - As Testarossa mentions, you fail to see the point. We're talking about quality television. Personally, if you can get a satellite dish big enough to watch UK TV, then it is the best option. However watching online is better than nothing.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Mick_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Id' say the best option, after having a satellite dish that picks up everything, is using sites like UK Nova and The Box - something which has no doubt already been discussed. Personally, I can't keep up with the quality programmes I download from those sites, and 99% of them are in a format that I can burn to a DVD-RW and watch in comfort on my TV using my DVD player, and are of a higher picture quality than the BBC iPlayer.

Obviously, this is not a solution for watching live programmes, such as sport.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:23 am
Banned

SunnyMeadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by duffer
SunnyMeadow - As Testarossa mentions, you fail to see the point. We're talking about quality television. Personally, if you can get a satellite dish big enough to watch UK TV, then it is the best option. However watching online is better than nothing.
I have not failed to see the point. I was just making another one relating to it.
I doubt much of UK TV can be described as "quality televsion", especially the inane trash people on here talk about missing.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:48 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

If people can get tv in English then why not? It's not just a case of missing the programmes in themselves but sometimes just being able to listen to your own language. I defy anybody to tell me that a lot of films have not lost something in translation.

I never watched Eastenders for example for 16 years and I didn't miss it but now that I can why the hell not? Inane rubbish it might be but I'd still rather have that on than Uomini e Donne or La Ruota Della Fortuna.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Its sad when people judge others based on so little knowledge.

Sunnymeadow - I didnt watch the so-called Trash TV in the UK but now I live here I just find it strangely comforting to watch some of the lower quality programmes does that make me a bad person ? I also would move away from Italy if I could but circumstances mean that I can't - it doesn't mean I want to return to the UK - so please don't make broad based assumptions.

I can speak italian very well but its my choice to not watch italian TV as I really believe that it is one of the worst in Europe.
I also think there are lots of good quality programmes on UK TV - particularly documentaries and comedy and children's television.
However, everyone is entitled their own opinion.

PS: I took so long writing this that Lornas reply has just come in and I agree totally with her words too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.