Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How much do you pay for firewood?

How much do you pay for firewood?

Old Sep 27th 2022, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much do you pay for firewood?

How much do you pay for a winter's worth of wood, assuming your wood fueled fire is your only means of heating?
Old Sep 27th 2022, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Walton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much do you pay for firewood?

I guess region to region varies......last year we paid 11 euros a quintale for olive....cut to fit a Stufa was 12....13 if she was in a bad mood 😂 that’s all delivered
Just wanted to add that I haven’t a clue what price it will be this year....with pellets at almost 10 euros a bag the wood places might jump on the profiteering bandwagon
Old Sep 27th 2022, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

A friend of mine who has a pellet stove says he'll have to pay about four times as much as last year (I don't remember the exact figures).
Old Sep 27th 2022, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Pellets here have gone up from 4/5 euros a bag to 13. Ouch. I pay 10 cents a kilo for wood for a stove - so a fiver a quintale in my bit of Sicily.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously as we have not been there since 2018 the information is out of date, but it highlights possible big variations... We were paying 12-14/quintale back then. Strange thing is it was that price when we were buying it in 2010! It is difficult to say how much a winters worth of wood would be as we bought wood normally up to a year in advance, and also had varying amounts of wood from the land. It also depended on how bad a winter it was. That said, with things as they are at the moment I would not be surprised if many a woodburner and pellet stove is being installed in Italy and the price of these and the fuel does not go through the roof !
Old Sep 27th 2022, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by Walton
I guess region to region varies......last year we paid 11 euros a quintale for olive....cut to fit a Stufa was 12....13 if she was in a bad mood 😂 that’s all delivered
Just wanted to add that I haven’t a clue what price it will be this year....with pellets at almost 10 euros a bag the wood places might jump on the profiteering bandwagon
woodyard next to lidl 10€ a quintale about a week ago. This time of year it would usually be less, pellets cheapest 10€ x bag last year bought in August 4.50€ x bag. I couldn't get my usual brand of pellets as Austria is not sending it. We usually buy 120 bags for the full winter but this year as we have a tank full LPG gas I will only buy half the amount and use gas when it is not too cold and pellets for colder evenings. 12/13€ x quintale it is fairly standard price in winter, this year I bet it will be more. Still got lots of branches to clear from this spring pruning we asked around if people wanted to take them and sort at their place but people were not bothered. I will have wood for BBQ for the next 10 years
Old Sep 30th 2022, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Once again, I can only hope for the prices quoted on here.
In 2005 the price was a minimum of Eu10/quintale. By 2020 this had risen to 18/quintale and it was difficult to find at this price, delivered. Mid-2021 the supply began to dry up from the traditional source, Slovenia, and the scarcity has continued this year; I presume the suppliers see an opportunity in this energy source.
I am spinning-out my stock by foraging locally.