Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Holiday homework books

Holiday homework books

Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough
Default Holiday homework books

Does anybody know a website where I can order holiday homework books - preferably one that is open through August!

Every year we have a problem with one of them. Usually I order them from the local bookshop but last year the French one didn't arrive until the last week of the holidays. This year I ordered them from Amazon.it in the third week in June. Was pleased cos they were a lot cheaper and they all arrived promptly... apart from one. Have received e mails saying this last book is delayed, and then yesterday an e mail saying it wasn't possible for them to send it now at all.

Went to the local bookshop, and they tell me they can't even take my order until the end of August as all the book companies are now on holiday. We hope to be on holiday the last week in August and first week in September and so daughter won't have a chance to do the homework. At least it's the English book that she can race through, but if anyone has any idea how we can get hold of a copy I'd be grateful
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

caf66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday homework books

hi there, try libreriauniversitaria.it (not just university books) - we used it for school books a few times, always arrived within 2-3 days!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you.... Have placed the order, but got a message right at the end saying it would be despatched after 3rd September!! I think all the book companies are on holiday for August and we have missed our chance while waiting for Amazon to get their act together. Can't be helped now
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Ha!ha! Even the colossal that is Amazon cannot overcome the Great Chiusi per Ferie Italian August.

I think I've finally learned to live with it after twenty-**** years ..
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 8:16 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me that I have to order Chloe's school books for September. Luckily quite a few of the ones I had to buy last year, carry on into second year, but I'm still not looking forward to working out how many new ones I have to buy and at what price.

I never bought the English holiday book for Chloe all through primary school and I don't for Alex either. The teacher there agreed with me that it would just have been a waste of money. The middle school teacher didn't give Chloe any English homework either this year.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Last year the English book certainly gave us some laughs.... It was mainly teaching Italian kids how to talk "cool" in English, using phrases that no real child would use, and talking about "famous people" that Georgia had never heard of. I remember one of the questions being something about who Tom Cruise was married to. The required answer being Nicole Kidman of course!?!?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:20 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle Canelli
Last year the English book certainly gave us some laughs.... It was mainly teaching Italian kids how to talk "cool" in English, using phrases that no real child would use, and talking about "famous people" that Georgia had never heard of. I remember one of the questions being something about who Tom Cruise was married to. The required answer being Nicole Kidman of course!?!?
I don't buy the separate English book for Alex but there are some English pages in the general "all round" holiday book.

I think it was last year when one of the pages had the vocab of things that you keep in your pencil case.
One of them was "scotch"

I know that this comes from the branded Scotch Tape but I still scribbled off an email to the editors anyway telling them no 8 year old should be taking scotch to school !!!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caf66
hi there, try libreriauniversitaria.it (not just university books) - we used it for school books a few times, always arrived within 2-3 days!
Thank you so much! - amazingly we have received the book today, despite them telling me it wouldn't be despatched until September. The daughter has settled down straight away to see how quickly she can complete it.... and we're laughing already..... "Harry (Potter) and Ron (Weasley) like computer games" is one of the first required answers. Were they invented then??!!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:45 am

Quite belatedly I have just ordered Chloe's school text books for 2nd year scuola media from that libreriauniveritaria website.

My God! It's one of the best and most organised Italian websites I have ever seen. Click on your Provincia and then town and then click on the school and it automatically comes up with the list of books that should be needed this year and any extras that might have been added or needed.

It was so easy, quick and simple to check off their list with the school list.
Delivery is free. Easy payment with PayPal.

I'm impressed with the website but still totally pissed off that I have just spent 122 Euro after spending 300 or more last year !!!!

So much for free education. What a joke !!! Will still need to buy dozens of quaderni and see what crap Alex's teachers come out with the first week of Primary school.

It also pisses me off that school starts one day but the school dinners are never ready and afternoon school is not ready so Alex will have to go on Saturday mornings for two weeks - could be three.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Aug 23rd 2012 at 11:46 am. Reason: Spelt education wrongly. My brain is fried and I'm pissed off !
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:27 am

I should have kept my mouth shut and not praised something Italian so quickly.

Order placed for books on August 23rd.

August 30th - email to say English book not available.
Today - email to say religion book not available.

What is wrong with these people?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:58 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Their nationality?

Is that racist? Living in Italy I don't know what's PC or not anymore.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:32 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I should have kept my mouth shut and not praised something Italian so quickly.

Order placed for books on August 23rd.

August 30th - email to say English book not available.
Today - email to say religion book not available.

What is wrong with these people?
Same happened to us when we used them, but I didn't say anything because I thought it was just bad luck - even though it happened more than once.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by 37100
Same happened to us when we used them, but I didn't say anything because I thought it was just bad luck - even though it happened more than once.
I ordered the missing books from Amazon. Both of them have already arrived.

My order with libreriauniversitaria finally says "in spedizione". Yesterday it was still in "processo".
Now, depending on who they send them with, will no doubt depend on whether we get them before school starts or not.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I keep reading "books" as "boobs" .. don't mind me ..
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkRD
I keep reading "books" as "boobs" .. don't mind me ..
It's been a long hot summer!