Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Hey to all in Veneto Region!

Hey to all in Veneto Region!

Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

nicks68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey to all in Veneto Region!

Hi, I am British and moved to Vicenza last year after many years working and living in West Africa, mostly Nigeria. I do not work here, although keep my hand in with the charities I worked for in Nigeria whenever needed, so I have twiddled my thumbs a bit of late ... what to do, where to go ... to meet like minded people!
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:11 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hey to all in Veneto Region!

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

nicks68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ... One question for you or any guys in the know!?! Does anyone know a good multi cultural Adult Education Italian class in the area? I did make a start but the students were very young and would like it to be a social activity as well as a language class ....
Old Apr 27th 2016, 9:24 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicks68
Hi, I am British and moved to Vicenza last year after many years working and living in West Africa, mostly Nigeria. I do not work here, although keep my hand in with the charities I worked for in Nigeria whenever needed, so I have twiddled my thumbs a bit of late ... what to do, where to go ... to meet like minded people!
Hello and welcome. I live in Vicenza ... the outskirts ... the very outskirts. The trains and even the motorway stops in my town - Piovene Rocchette on the Valdastico motorway. How can we help?
Old Apr 29th 2016, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Hi all. In a similar vein, I am looking for someone to recommend a school that runs intensive Italian language courses in the north of Italy. I have tried the local language school's 2 evenings a week but am not making swift enough progress. As usual, I blame my Italian wife on whom I have relied to help me out when trying to speak in Italian. For this reason I am looking for a school offering an intensive course, probably of 1 or 2 weeks duration, away from home so that i would be without my "spousal crutch". I can find any number on the internet but what I would really appreciate is the recommendation of someone who's been on one.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plan B
Hi all. In a similar vein, I am looking for someone to recommend a school that runs intensive Italian language courses in the north of Italy. I have tried the local language school's 2 evenings a week but am not making swift enough progress. As usual, I blame my Italian wife on whom I have relied to help me out when trying to speak in Italian. For this reason I am looking for a school offering an intensive course, probably of 1 or 2 weeks duration, away from home so that i would be without my "spousal crutch". I can find any number on the internet but what I would really appreciate is the recommendation of someone who's been on one.
This is a long shot, but if you (a) are prepared to think about Central rather than North, and (b) can wait until July/August then you could do a lot worse than the University of Urbino. The link to the course is here.
Although it is presented as a four-week course you can if you want do only the first two weeks - though I would recommend the four-weeks if at all possible. High-quality tuition, all teaching STRICTLY in Italian, an international clientele, and so much organised/available to do that your feet won't touch the ground. I went for three consecutive years (4-weeks Beginner, 4-weeks Lower Intermediate, 2-weeks Upper-Intermediate) and would recommend it to anyone wanting to make real progress. Not overly expensive either.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
This is a long shot, but if you (a) are prepared to think about Central rather than North, and (b) can wait until July/August then you could do a lot worse than the University of Urbino.
A beautiful town to explore as well.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Hi Serrano; this is just the kind of thing that I am looking for and Urbino isn't so far away. The link was most helpful too with a clear explanation (in English too!) which answered all my questions. But b*****r, darn and drat it! it's just when we expect to be moving!
Thank you anyway; I shall keep scouting around for something in September and later.
Old May 1st 2016, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
This is a long shot, but if you (a) are prepared to think about Central rather than North, and (b) can wait until July/August then you could do a lot worse than the University of Urbino. The link to the course is here.
Although it is presented as a four-week course you can if you want do only the first two weeks - though I would recommend the four-weeks if at all possible. High-quality tuition, all teaching STRICTLY in Italian, an international clientele, and so much organised/available to do that your feet won't touch the ground. I went for three consecutive years (4-weeks Beginner, 4-weeks Lower Intermediate, 2-weeks Upper-Intermediate) and would recommend it to anyone wanting to make real progress. Not overly expensive either.
On the Urbino University website they say that there is a placement test.

How exactly do they decide which course level to put you on?
Old May 1st 2016, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
On the Urbino University website they say that there is a placement test.

How exactly do they decide which course level to put you on?
Looking at the site now, it appears that you must enrol (specifying which level you want) after which you take the placement test, presumably solely to confiorm your level. I'd have thought it would be better to just let you do the placement test and then assign you (or negotiate) the appropriate level. However, I do have a document indicating the grammar that you are supposed to be capable of for each level. If you ask they may provide this before enrolment. If not, pm me and I'll send you what I've got - it's difficult to imagine it will have changed much. Also, if somebody was clearly on the wrong course they were usually moved after the first or second day - this happened rarely, but it did happen.

When I went in 2004-2006 (I'd forgotten how long ago it was, which explains why my recollection is a bit hazy!) the placement test was purely written (and it's difficult to imagine that it could be otherwise). I still have copies of it, and it was three sections (progressively more difficult, and each with about 15 'fill in the blanks in this sentence' questions) - followed by four 'essay' type questions where you express opinions on certain matters. The idea was that you complete the test until you know you are out of your depth, than just stop!

Any other info that I can provide, please just ask.
Old May 1st 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the information Serrano.

I would like to do a course at Urbino to improve my spoken Italian. A two week course combined with a holiday in the Marche is an attractive idea.
Old May 5th 2016, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I was in Vicenza recently. It's really nice there!
Old May 6th 2016, 9:55 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I will have been in Vicenza 12 years this summer!
Old May 6th 2016, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by duffer
I will have been in Vicenza 12 years this summer!
..and they've never let you out?
Old May 6th 2016, 7:12 pm
Pull my finger

only on day release