Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

helpful Italian phrases please

helpful Italian phrases please

Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:05 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of
Default helpful Italian phrases please

We've all been there and done that, C.D's, New Years resolution, books with helpful tapes, courses that didn't even teach the simplest of grammar, and it all fell by the wayside.
Seeing as I and lots of others spend some time on these helpful forums maybe we can do " A phrase of the Day"
Please.

P.S. Written without me glasses on this a.m. so forgive any mistakes

Last edited by Gio; Jan 11th 2010 at 7:07 am.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:31 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: helpful Italian phrases please

Just imagine what Duffer's phrases would be like.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:41 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Even they may come in handy
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:54 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Just imagine what Duffer's phrases would be like.
V* in f*g* GOD DOG said to the first Italian you encounter today starts the day off just splendidly.

Last edited by duffer; Jan 11th 2010 at 9:35 am.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:06 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Shame on you Duffer. You can't post that on a public forum. Hope that you (or Lorna) remove it ASAP!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:09 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duffer
Va in figa dio cane said to the first Italian you encounter today starts the day off just splendidly.
Will it be helpful duffer and when is it best to use it?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

@ Duffer....

do you know what I learnt today? ... that you don't ask a Jehovahs Witness if she had a nice Christmas... doh!! Back to 'Buongiorno' for me again for another few years!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:16 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by indiebird
@ Duffer....

do you know what I learnt today? ... that you don't ask a Jehovahs Witness if she had a nice Christmas... doh!! Back to 'Buongiorno' for me again for another few years!!
Nor happy birthday. You're hopeless indie.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:19 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Don't they have birthdays? Just use my phrase of the day. You can't go wrong.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
Nor happy birthday. You're hopeless indie.
I am hopeless. I was so proud of myself for seeing so many people this morning out and about and asking how their Christmasses were. Remind me not to bother next time!! .... at least she may have given up on converting me now!!

Duffer, I think I might skip your phrase of the day... I can do enough damage on my own!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:58 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Non lo so. It's my catchall! I've also just discovered "smettila" which works so much better on Antonia tha plain old "stop it"!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Cammina va! (take a walk) is used a lot down here, "Smamma" (get lost) - might come in handy for the Jehovas, I also like Toto's "non mi faccia ridere".
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I use 'non lo so' a lot and 'smettila'. One thing that confused me when I first moved here was that I had learned 'Come sta/i?' for 'how are you'. and then a lot of people here just say 'Com'é?' which used to totally threw me for some reason...
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Never heard 'smamma' before btw.... or 'non mi faccia ridere'. Does that mean 'don't make me laugh' or somesuch? My son says 'ti spaccio la faccia' (sp???!!) is this really offensive?.... I do hope not!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:36 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
Never heard 'smamma' before btw.... or 'non mi faccia ridere'. Does that mean 'don't make me laugh' or somesuch? My son says 'ti spaccio la faccia' (sp???!!) is this really offensive?.... I do hope not!!
Yes - it's don't make me laugh.

Ti spacco la faccia is .... "I'll break your face."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.