Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help the new kid!

Help the new kid!

Old Sep 27th 2014, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Samuel H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help the new kid!

Hello, I've just moved to Ravenna to work and live for a while. I need to set up a bank account next week, has anyone got a recommendation about which bank to use?

Cheers!
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Re: Help the new kid!

Originally Posted by Samuel H
Hello, I've just moved to Ravenna to work and live for a while. I need to set up a bank account next week, has anyone got a recommendation about which bank to use?

Cheers!
Hi, and first of all welcome to Italy,

I can't offer any advice on which bank to go to because I don't know Ravenna very well, but assuming you'll just be using the account for ordinary things - paying bills, getting money transferred and so forth, I'd think you'd do best to ask local people, and what's more ask one of them to actually go there with you to introduce you to the manager. Bella figura, etc.

I'm serious about this.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Cornish Knocker is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think about opening up an account at the Post Office. Cheaper than banks and there is a post office in every town, should you need to call in away from where your own branch is situated.
I closed my bank account and opened one at the post office and glad I did.

Good luck
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornish Knocker
I would think about opening up an account at the Post Office. Cheaper than banks and there is a post office in every town, should you need to call in away from where your own branch is situated.

Good luck
'morning Cornish Knocker. May I ask how long did it take to get the activation pin once you'd completed all the paperwork at the Post Ofice?
many thanks,
'o nonno
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornish Knocker

Good luck
It might be cheaper now, but once you hit the 5000 savings mark they hit you with some stupid tax.Plus, every time you withdraw cash ( I believe over 1000 euro) you have to fill in forms to stop money laundering. So much easier to go to the bancomat and get your cash.
Forgot to say, I have 650 euro limit on cash withdrawals with the Post office and a lot more than that with the bank.
My advice is you are more limited with the Post Office account than a bank one, but I do not know if my account is different from others who might have a different set up.

Last edited by Isakat; Sep 29th 2014 at 7:54 am.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
'morning Cornish Knocker. May I ask how long did it take to get the activation pin once you'd completed all the paperwork at the Post Ofice?
many thanks,
'o nonno
If I remember well, the PIN came in the post within a week.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Isakat;11421788]If I remember well, the PIN came in the post within a week.[/QUO
Bye bye dicette l'inglese
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

I don't know anything about post office accounts. If you want help setting up a direct debit, say, or switching over a resident-style ENEL direct debit to a non-residential one, or transferring €1000 to a nephew in South Africa, can you sit down and sort it out over a coffee and a quiet fag with the manager in his/her office, like you can at a local bank if you've got yourself with the right one ? Isn't a postmaster/mistress liable to be busy with queues of old age pensioners etc ?
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,i might be wrong but im sure you have to be resident to open post office account,cheers brian.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Samuel H is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help everyone...any other advice on getting started here in Italy would be welcome!
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:55 pm
Property expert

marcuzzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to Unicredit, simple and efficient, you will pay the same as any other account in Italy, but have a lot less paperwork and internal burocracy to deal with, the internet banking is really easy and very secure.