help needed

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:50 pm

silvy1280 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help needed

Hi Jonny,

Italy's temperature is practically the same from Rome downwards and in the islands.
Who says that Sicily is cold in winter doesn't know what cold is. North Italy is cold, but Calabria and Sicily rarely go below +10 degrees in the coldest week in winter.

I come from North Italy and I personally love Sardinia.
I still have a lot to discover of this world because most of the summers I happen to be there .
I'll do my best next summer to organise my holiday abroad...
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:59 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

North Italy does get cold yes ... but it's not always as cold as England and it never seems to last as long.

Cold mornings often turn into milder temps throughput the day as there is a lot more sunshine here. Even a cold day never seems as bleak when the skies are bright blue - the mountains are green and frosted with snow on the caps and the sun is really bright. It often feels bright and crispy rather than bleak and bloody miserable.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

fransarda is on a distinguished road

Johnny, if you are considering Sardinia I can give you loads of tips and some estate agent websites so you can get an idea of the prices..send me a private message if you want to know any of that....

Generally speaking, the coldest I have know it here in winter was zero but we are by the sea which keeps it warmer, up in the mountains not far from here it is colder and they get snow. Worth bearing in mind that despite being warmer than the UK, we are geared up in the UK for the cold with fitted carpets and good central heating. loft insulation and so on. Houses tend to feel a little colder here because of the tiled flooring, small point but worth thinking about as there are alternatives worth budgeting for. I'm over on the north west coast, I know down Cagliari way it's much warmer.

If you don't have loads of friends here, you might like to think about going somewhere not too provincial or isolated, with easy access to an airport too.

Another small thing that can make a huge difference is thinking about how you are going to spend your time once you are here. This can help you decide between town/country/sea ; house/apartment etc. I can honestly say that we made a bit of a mistake in buying an apartment with a postage stamp yard - as we are also retired, a decent sized garden would have made all the difference, especially for my husband as it would have given him something more to do. It's a fairly obvious thing to point out and I hope I don't sound horribly patronising but retirement in itself can be a difficult adjustment - there again, made much more pleasant by lots of sun and good food

Finally, read and read and read all the threads in this discussion forum, you'll get a great idea of how life varies from place to place here plus there is loads of really useful information. Don't hesitate to contact me if you want to know anything more about Sardinia...go for it and good luck!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

fransarda is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
North Italy does get cold yes ... but it's not always as cold as England and it never seems to last as long.

Cold mornings often turn into milder temps throughput the day as there is a lot more sunshine here. Even a cold day never seems as bleak when the skies are bright blue - the mountains are green and frosted with snow on the caps and the sun is really bright. It often feels bright and crispy rather than bleak and bloody miserable.
That's so true, no months on end of endless grey rainy days. We have had some gorgeous Christmases here, really beautiful days, no coat required.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by silvy1280
Hi Jonny,

Italy's temperature is practically the same from Rome downwards and in the islands.
Who says that Sicily is cold in winter doesn't know what cold is. North Italy is cold, but Calabria and Sicily rarely go below +10 degrees in the coldest week in winter.

I come from North Italy and I personally love Sardinia.
I still have a lot to discover of this world because most of the summers I happen to be there .
I'll do my best next summer to organise my holiday abroad...
I'm from manchester and lived in yorkshire for quite a few years so believe me, I know what cold is !!! (especially as for some unknown reason we still only wore ankle socks in the winter, even in the snow !)
I've lived in Milan too and your right, it is cold there too. Sicily is not as cold but it does get cold. And its getting colder each year. The first few years we managed without any heating but had to put heating in a few years ago.
I wouldn't want anyone to move here thinking they can still be in shorts in January !
It is locals tradtion though for them to walk around in their big fur coats from October - May, even if its still 30 degress outside !!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

randomguy will become famous soon enough

Would be happy to talk to you about my experiances whilst looking and buying in calabria if you would like just? If so just pass on some contact details and i'll get in touch?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:43 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by selinuntina
I'm from manchester and lived in yorkshire for quite a few years so believe me, I know what cold is !!! (especially as for some unknown reason we still only wore ankle socks in the winter, even in the snow !)
I've lived in Milan too and your right, it is cold there too. Sicily is not as cold but it does get cold. And its getting colder each year. The first few years we managed without any heating but had to put heating in a few years ago.
I wouldn't want anyone to move here thinking they can still be in shorts in January !
It is locals tradtion though for them to walk around in their big fur coats from October - May, even if its still 30 degress outside !!
they have that fur coat thing here too .........drives me mad. I only found out several years ago that they actually pay to put them in cold storage over the summer months.

The big thing here that drives me mad is seeing them hanging around the duomo sweeping their furs to show off who has the longest. Personally I'd love to spray paint the lot of them bright red !
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
they have that fur coat thing here too .........drives me mad. I only found out several years ago that they actually pay to put them in cold storage over the summer months.

The big thing here that drives me mad is seeing them hanging around the duomo sweeping their furs to show off who has the longest. Personally I'd love to spray paint the lot of them bright red !
No Way !! I never knew that !!! ROFL !!!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Am totally with you on that one Lorna - them and their furs - makes me sick !!! When I first came here in the 80's everyone aspired to have a fur coat - 'La Pelliccia' - it was the 'thing' to have. Now when you look at them in their so-called 'finery' it just makes your blood boil !!

Last edited by Patty; Oct 22nd 2008 at 7:08 pm. Reason: spelling mistake - bloody doppie !!!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:12 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Bet Lorna wouldn't mind a mouse fur at the moment though.....
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:19 pm

I can get Chloe to turn it into a Barbie jacket.

Did I really just write that ?

DELETE
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaah - just think of that film with Lee Evans.. 'Mouse Hunt' ..............that sweet lovely little adorable mouse - how could you make that into a Barbie jacket
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:28 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

A very, very tiny willy warmer!

I pity the OP - sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear was it!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

You've just made me remember something I read in my sons book called 'Weird and wonderful facts'................in the old days (like medieval) people used to stick mouse skins as false eyebrows to look better.???????
So Lorna - you'll need 2 to make the good bushy eyebrow look
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:42 pm

errrr ......... what was origianl question ? Scroll up scroll up .....

oh yes - where to live in Italy. Not anywhere near me obviously but it is gorgeous here when I open my eyes and stop taking things for granted - like the perfect views of the mountains from all my windows and knwing what the day is going to be like just from looking at the tops of them - weather wise I mean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.